Protecting a brand new car - advice?

Currently reading:
Protecting a brand new car - advice?

Hi All. Im currently awaiting the delivery of a brand new Fiat 500.

After a few days, I'll be bringing it home, some 150 miles away from where I'll be collecting it. 130-ish miles of which will be A-roads and Motorway.

Im a bit concerned about the paintwork getting a battering on the drive home, and wondered if anyone has any advice on how to best protect it before making the journey?

After a few days, I'll be bringing it home, some 150 miles away from where I'll be collecting it. 130-ish miles of which will be A-roads and Motorway.

Im a bit concerned about the paintwork getting a battering on the drive home, and wondered if anyone has any advice on how to best protect it before making the journey?

Keep good distance from vehicles in front and drive slowly on roads with loose chippings.

More long term there is a plastic clear protective film that can be applied on front facing surfaces, these are the most likely to get damaged.

Take a look at a Detailing site, there are some really good modern paint protection systems around these days.

P.S. take a look at how the number plate has been fitted at the rear... it has been found that some dealers drill the bootlid causing metal filings to stick to the bootlid and rust. Ideally the number plate should be fitted without drilling.

Enjoy the car... (y)

call the dealer and ask them to leave any protective cover on the car before you pick it up.

sometimes the cars are covered by a plastic film to protect them during transport and it's removed right before you pick it up.

I even saw at a BMW dealer that they cover their most expensive cars with a special black matte layer that's solid like paint but is then removed when the car is sold.

as for long term, if you're really worried you're going to get really unhealthy paranoid (like me), there's no avoiding some chips and the usual housewife slamming her SUV door on your car.

unfortunately.

Last edited:
Unfortunately with all the best will in the world the inevitable will happed. Within a week of getting my GP i was overtaking a truck on the A1 and it spat up a stone, it sounded like a huge rock. Hit the bumper, bounced on the bonnet and hit the windscreen. A long scratch on the bumper and a scratch on the bonnet down to the primer, thankfully it had lost enough momentum when it hit the screen not to do any damage. Fortunately i've fixed it now and it looks like new again.

Back