Technical Propshaft slipping / sliding. Advice needed.

Currently reading:
Technical Propshaft slipping / sliding. Advice needed.

Irish4x4

Hi,

Attached is a video showing the issue with the propsaft sliding. What has gone wrong? What needs to be replaced?

Thanks a lot!

Irish4x4

I can't quite see past the exhaust

If it's the viscous coupling type I guess nut 5 has come undone

FE24B075D102C7DCBAD1C5FDF92444BD.png

@porta might know better, I have never owned the 4x4

Hi!

Better video this time. The propshaft is sliding back and forth. No other play. Central bearing looks good (to me).

Thanks again for any advice!

Right looks completely different now

The shaft is in two pieces, and held firmly together at the centre

If the front and rear sections of the propshaft slide apart in the center I suspect this clip here has failed or popped out

IMG_20230923_120937.jpg

This isn't a Panda but is very similar

Last edited:
I have to agree with koalar, the only play is supposed to be on the propshaft splines to allow different lengths Wehn suspension is travelling up and down. The movement at the coupling end is a cause for concern as both ends of shaft are supposed to be fixed.

Thanks a lot for that infoKoalar and Porta!

Sorry, another question. Does this require a total propshaft removal, replace the clip, refit the propshaft?

Thanks again.

Thanks a lot for that infoKoalar and Porta!

Sorry, another question. Does this require a total propshaft removal, replace the clip, refit the propshaft?

Thanks again.
Depends

If it's popped out you would need to just unbolt one end, inspect it's not broken and give it a good shoove to snap it back in place, fingers crossed this is all thats needed

If the clip is broken it might be a world of pain, finding a replacement and getting the damaged bits out may not be that easy

Last edited:
I think removing the prop is a start, then you should be able to see what you’re dealing with
If you can’t get the bits, especially things like clips/snap rings, I would imagine a good workshop/plant/engineering supplies would be able to match up

Thanks a lot. I'll try what you advise Koalar and if that's not successful I'll remove the shaft and have a good look. Thanks!

Back