General propshaft problem

Currently reading:
General propshaft problem

cala

Can anyone tell me what is this seal called,located at the front end of propshaft on a 2015 panda cross.There is a hole inside and grease has been added to save from anymore damage etc,thanks for any help,,, sorry for blurry pic
IMG_20230722_114844.jpg

Can anyone tell me what is this seal called,located at the front end of propshaft on a 2015 panda cross.There is a hole inside and grease has been added to save from anymore damage etc,thanks for any help,,, sorry for blurry pic
You said it is the front end. On that basis if it's a TA then its a gearbox seal for the rear propshaft if it is the MJ then I think the collective wisdom is that it has a separate (in terms of oil supply) power take off (PTO) and it is the oil seal for the PTO. When you say there is a hole then you mean it is leaking? In which case it should be replaced. If it helps this is a still from a video which describes rear differential and gearbox oil changes on a TA, you can see the gearbox in relation to the propshaft @Herts Hillhopper has previously posted picture of the PTO in another thread.

1690046822910.png

Ref;

The PTO has just shy of 0.5l of oil so not much to lose if it is leaking; I'm not sure of the volume of the TA gearbox but you will have more to lose if this is your situation. Either way I'd say get it fixed sooner or later!

Let us know how you get on - feedback is always helpful on here.

You said it is the front end. On that basis if it's a TA then its a gearbox seal for the rear propshaft if it is the MJ then I think the collective wisdom is that it has a separate (in terms of oil supply) power take off (PTO) and it is the oil seal for the PTO. When you say there is a hole then you mean it is leaking? In which case it should be replaced. If it helps this is a still from a video which describes rear differential and gearbox oil changes on a TA, you can see the gearbox in relation to the propshaft @Herts Hillhopper has previously posted picture of the PTO in another thread.

View attachment 427109

Ref;

The PTO has just shy of 0.5l of oil so not much to lose if it is leaking; I'm not sure of the volume of the TA gearbox but you will have more to lose if this is your situation. Either way I'd say get it fixed sooner or later!

Let us know how you get on - feedback is always helpful on here.

I think you’ve misunderstood here. The gearbox or output shaft seal is further back. Where Cala points to is the propshaft end of the front universal joint.
1690056816856.png

I guess there should be some sort of seal in there but suspect the only repair is a complete new shaft. However, don’t be put off by the dealer price of over £1600 - plenty listed online at about £260 new.

I think you’ve misunderstood here. The gearbox or output shaft seal is further back. Where Cala points to is the propshaft end of the front universal joint. View attachment 427112

I guess there should be some sort of seal in there but suspect the only repair is a complete new shaft. However, don’t be put off by the dealer price of over £1600 - plenty listed online at about £260 new.
Yes, I think you are right, I should pay more attention! And take the trouble to crawl under the car! Sorry for being so alarmist @cala !

Back