General Project RoadRallyCinq

Currently reading:
General Project RoadRallyCinq

Did you already pick a nice color for the cage? or respray it red again?
Keep it going!

Thanks (y)

Its going to be red yes, it was originally black and the paint was very chipped, I think there's a photo earlier on in the thread. Think red will look good inside as I have to keep all the interior ans will contrast nicely with the darker colours.

The cage is a Sparco one, I bought it second hand from a member on here last summer. They still make them but I think they have changed it a bit from what I can see of J333EVO's pictures in their track Cinq. I believe they do do one for the Sei, but might be getting mixed up with OMP. Demon tweeks sell them and jest have a look on Google, there was another company but can't remember their name now who sell roll cages for Centos.

Thanks
Sion

Sounds great!
I've got a sei with a cinq Sparco cage in it, fits perfectly (y)
Same cage as RS-1989 i think, i don't know if omp is interchangeable between cinq and sei :rolleyes:

Not really an update just an observation that I made the other day. Was working on my girl friends car, a Mk2 Punto, and noticed it had the same cable system as Cinq's, but with a different gear lever/selector. Sort of the inverse of how the Cinq system works and the parts of the gear box end are slightly different in that the are 'up side down' compared to the Cinq system.

That might not make sense to anybody now, plus I cant get onto ePER to get a picture of the part. But what you could do with it is bring the Punto selector up into the car, but the cables will still be under the car meaning you wont have to drill for them.

Something I'm gona be trying when I get home next and find a mk2 in a scrappy to get some parts off.

Think it might be a tidier solution than some of the others done on here, of course not disrespecting anybody on here as they all work well :)

Thanks
Sion

Yeah his is one of the others I was referring to, J333EVO, rallycinq and Nitrane have the same setup (or along those lines). Of course very functional, but not as tidy as I want it to be and takes up quite a lot of room for me.

This again moves the pivot up but in a different way, it was one of the ways I had though about when trying to engineer a new selector from scratch.

I am quite tired ATM, I'm Welsh so English is not my first language and I don't have a way with words either, so what I'm saying may make no sense. Well those are my excuses! But if I left it I would probably forget about it so thought I'd say it now.

Ill try and get some pictures of what I'm thinking about soon, I'll draw some pictures if needs be!

Thanks
Sion

Well got a nice surprise yesterday, a member on here (cinq noz) lives not to far from me and found he was giving a Sparco Strut brace away for free so now sitting by me I have a rather rusty, but solid strut brace. Alls good.

Also here's a picture of what i was trying to explain the other day.

Thanks
Sion

Attachments

• Photo0237.jpg
    Photo0237.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 49
  • Photo0239.jpg
    Photo0239.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 28
Well got a nice surprise yesterday, a member on here (cinq noz) lives not to far from me and found he was giving a Sparco Strut brace away for free so now sitting by me I have a rather rusty, but solid strut brace. Alls good.

Also here's a picture of what i was trying to explain the other day.

Thanks
Sion

personally i cant tell by that picture but with the selector inside of the car are you keeping the pivot point to the upper or lower circle (guessing upper here)

or are you just going to lift the whole linkage carrier inside as the easy way ?

I take it that you know how the cinq selector works/looks (pivot at bottom, cables attached to stick). The punto selector works (well how I think it works, I'm pretty sure about it) more like a conventional selector, with the pivot in the middle, and the cables attached below.

Now when using the standard stuff lifted up, you have to bring the cables inside and that big box thing (can be changed if you want obviously). With the punto selector, you could keep the cables under the car and bring the pivot point up higher so you can make a short shifter by shortening the gear box end.

Any clearer? lol

Thanks
Sion

I take it that you know how the cinq selector works/looks (pivot at bottom, cables attached to stick). The punto selector works (well how I think it works, I'm pretty sure about it) more like a conventional selector, with the pivot in the middle, and the cables attached below.

Now when using the standard stuff lifted up, you have to bring the cables inside and that big box thing (can be changed if you want obviously). With the punto selector, you could keep the cables under the car and bring the pivot point up higher so you can make a short shifter by shortening the gear box end.

Any clearer? lol

Thanks
Sion

ahh yea hadn't looked at a sporting gearl inkages so i assumed it pivoted from the middle (y)

Ash

Nah sorry jest saw what you mean, the middle dot is just to represent the cable attaching to the stick.

I am finding it had to get this across lol, mainly because I cant find a working ePER recently so cant show how it looks. I think it will be easier when I get hold of one and just do it

I just want to do it because I think it will be tidier solution to make a short shifter.

Thanks
Sion

To carry on from what I was saying here's a picture from ePER for the Bravo/Brava selector, similar design to the Punto one. It's slightly different to how I thought it worked to be honest but still same principle, the pivot point can be moved up and is tydier than using the standard Cinquecento moved up.

linkage1.jpg

Also, looking at RepoBoy's thread where he has converted a P75 engine into a 16v has got me wandering. You can fit the P75 head onto the 1108, and hes successfully attached the 16v head to the P75 bottom end, then by my understanding this would mean a 16v head could be fitted onto the 1108 block. I'll try and get head gaskets or something to compare if I can, but. It's got me thinking about future engine mods...

Thanks
Sion

Also, looking at RepoBoy's thread where he has converted a P75 engine into a 16v has got me wandering. You can fit the P75 head onto the 1108, and hes successfully attached the 16v head to the P75 bottom end, then by my understanding this would mean a 16v head could be fitted onto the 1108 block. I'll try and get head gaskets or something to compare if I can, but. It's got me thinking about future engine mods...

Thanks
Sion

Has been done on some of the 1.1 rally sei's in poland (y).

Thansk

...Also, looking at RepoBoy's thread where he has converted a P75 engine into a 16v has got me wandering. You can fit the P75 head onto the 1108, and hes successfully attached the 16v head to the P75 bottom end, then by my understanding this would mean a 16v head could be fitted onto the 1108 block. I'll try and get head gaskets or something to compare if I can, but. It's got me thinking about future engine mods..

Did you also take into account the possible clearance issues with the intake manifold?
I've mounted a p75-head with p75-intake onto a 1108 base, however I had to make some adjustments to the firewall to cope with this problem (Arc did the same thing on a cinq with the same problem ;)), and it was not easy to get the intake in either :yum:

I don't know anything about the size of the 16V intake, but it was just a quick flashback to what I had to deal with :p

Keep it up (y)

Last edited:
Also mean the 1108 head will go onto the 1.4 block ?

Ming

Yes, I think I discussed this a while ago, possible and I think someone has done it, but compression might be a bit low if using a 16v bottom end and probably not enough air getting in. Easy way to get torque though I suppose.

Did you also take into account the possible clearance issues with the intake manifold?
I've mounted a p75-head with p75-intake onto a 1108 base, however I had to make some adjustments to the firewall to cope with this problem (Arc did the same thing on a cinq with the same problem ), and it was not easy to get the intake in either

I don't know anything about the size of the 16V intake, but it was just a quick flashback to what I had to deal with

Keep it up

Yeah that is a point because I have to keep the lining in so may have to give that though when I come to it, as there's nothing more I can do now really. But definitely an obstacle to get around.

I think the cam belt would be the problem with the shorter block.

Cheers

SPD

Yup another good point, I'm thinking a standard 1108 belt might be ok but then again it is almost completely different so something to give thought to. Had a look at the piston size's and the 1242 16v pistons are 0.8mm larger diameter so would need a slight re-bore to the block to get them in, or standard pistons with a shorter crank to gain more clearance, but losing compression.

Thanks
Sion

Well I've been quite busy it seams. Roll cage is painted and fitted, carpet is back in, rear seats back in and the drivers seat. All in less than a week, things like this don't usually happen when I'm around haha.

Pictures will follow later on/tomorrow

Thanks
Sion

As promised, although a bit late.

Photo02761.jpg

Photo02782.jpg

Photo02792.jpg

Photo02801.jpg

Photo02811.jpg

And how it looks today

Photo02863.jpg

What I got done today was fitting the brake likes to the rear and handbrake etc, just need to get the rear hubs etc sorted so I can get all the brakes done and it will almost be road worthy again. Just an exhaust and properly putting the battery in the car. And something else will probably come up.

Thanks
Sion

Back