General Project 500

Currently reading:
General Project 500

punto_jr_sx75 said:
Looks very good, cant beleive how good it looks with the decals :eek: Hopefully we'll get to see some vids of it in action soon

Cheers (y) I'm going to give a shakedown at Elvington on the 5th August, although this will be with the std engine, so i'll get some footage then.

John

I know i've been a bit quiet, had a couple of hols, including a fantastic trip to the Le Mans Classic (8 GT40's line astern down Mulsanne... :D :worship: )

Anyway, I've been finishing a few jobs off in anticipation of the race engine arriving. I've converted the hubs to studs, fitted hubcentric spacers and got new Yoko A539's all round. Clearance is tight, but should be fine given how stiff the springs are.

Speaking of which, I was pretty unhappy with uprated Avo springs that came with the GTZ kit, so i've had some 250lbin rears made up, to go with the 250lbin fronts. I've also got a pair of 300lbin fronts to try when i get testing. All in all, it feels very stiff for the road, which I suspect will prove fine for the track.

I've also had chance to get some decent photo's done;

http://www.nitrane.co.uk/multimedia/cinq.htm

Cheers, John

chaos said:
Don't you need 'Tow' stickers for the towing hooks? Or will the arrows do? :confused:

The yellow arrows are as per the works car. My experience is that scrutineers just ask that its obvious what the towing points are.

Re the wheels. I take your point although they're not a priority at the moment. I'll compete on 13" rims, and the originals are cheap and strong. However a set of ultralights will eventually appear.

Cheers, John

I don't see no drivers floor plate. Is there one in there, or is that a 'still to fit' job.

On the springs subject I fund that you need a relatively soft spring for the rear as it weighs a lot less than the front. It also needs to be long enough not to fall out of the spring pan at full drop.

Cheers

D

rallycinq said:
I don't see no drivers floor plate. Is there one in there, or is that a 'still to fit' job.

On the springs subject I fund that you need a relatively soft spring for the rear as it weighs a lot less than the front. It also needs to be long enough not to fall out of the spring pan at full drop.

You're correct, its still to fit, along with a number of other jobs such as moving the elec window switches so I can reach them when strapped in!

The springs are relatively softer than the fronts. All will become clear when we get to the track, i'm not forming any views at the moment. The spring length issue is resolved by making them progressive, so the first couple of inches of compression is achieved by the body weight, then you get full spring rating. This was carefully measured and calculated by my spring man, and the end result is perfect.

John

Just to make you all aware... i've stuck a 'wanted' ad in the classifieds for a pair of wishbones and trailing arms - condition not important. I'm also after a bonnet and boot for making fibreglass moulds, again condition and colour not important

If anyone's got any of these, please drop me a PM.

Cheers, John

Back