General problems with gears

Currently reading:
General problems with gears

adamdutton

hi ya everyone just joined up here and im having a bit of trouble with my 1.2 16v fiat brava, i had the slave cylinder re-placed yesterday as the clutch went slack and wouldnt go in to gear, any way when i was on my way home from garage which had just re-placed it i noticed it wouldnt go into 3rd gear all the other gears are fine its just 3rd and it crunches a bit when you go back down to 2nd, does any one have any ideas what could be the problem? any help appreciated thanks adam

Hi, Adam
sounds a little bit like a worn synchromesh.

Had you been driving round with a faulty slave cylinder for long?
I suspect because the slave cylinder was leaking/worn, that your clutch has not been disengaging fully when changing gears and as a result has put an amount of wear on the gears. :(

although make sure that the garage bled the slave cylinder properly.

Last edited:
Hi, Adam
sounds a little bit like a worn synchromesh.

Had you been driving round with a faulty slave cylinder for long?
I suspect because the slave cylinder was leaking/worn, that your clutch has not been disengaging fully when changing gears and as a result has put an amount of wear on the gears. :(

although make sure that the garage bled the slave cylinder properly.

:yeahthat:

either you've buggered the synchromesh on 2nd and 3rd by driving it before it was repaired (new gearbox time), or the slave cylidner needs bleeding (fingers crossed its that).

i did bleed it last night and it does seem a bit better it goes into 3rd gear now with a push but when i slow down it jumps back out of gear, how many times should i bleed it i would have done it a few times but didnt have any spare oil to put in, what oil should i get to put in? thanks for the replies

If its jumping out of gear then the synchro is knackered :(
To answer the other questions,
to bleed its a 2x man job or a 1x man job if you use a bleed kit.
It's brake/clutch fluid thats needed.

i thought it would have been something more serious, the thing is the gears were totally fine before it went to garage it was just the clutch didnt work i had the slave cylinder replaced straight away and didnt drive it without a clutch , the garage that fixed the slave cylinder picked the car up from my house and DROVE it to there garage (about a 20 min drive) with no clutch so im thinking its them thats knackered it driving it to there garage forcing it into gear when they could have easily towed it as they came in a 4x4:mad:

i thought it would have been something more serious, the thing is the gears were totally fine before it went to garage it was just the clutch didnt work i had the slave cylinder replaced straight away and didnt drive it without a clutch , the garage that fixed the slave cylinder picked the car up from my house and DROVE it to there garage (about a 20 min drive) with no clutch so im thinking its them thats knackered it driving it to there garage forcing it into gear when they could have easily towed it as they came in a 4x4:mad:

Does your car crunch going into 1st and reverse gears?
How does the clutch pedal feel? Does it feel soft or normal?

It is actually possible to change gear without a clutch, if the engine revs are just right.

From what you have posted here. I would suspect that the garage has caused damage to the synchro. Driving a car without a clutch for this distance has probably knackered the synchro on 3rd.

If I were you I would go back to the garage and tell them your problem. They have carried out the work. It is not for you to have to rectify it.
Allow them to re-bleed the slave cylinder as at least it will eliminate it. If as I suspect, the gear still grinds pops out then take up this issue with them.

I hope this helps

it doesnt crunch going into 1st or reverse the only problem is it is hard to get it ino 3rd and once it is in it bounces out unless you hold the gear stick and it crunches going back down to 2nd, the clutch feels normal to me, my b rother took it back to the garage the next morning and they said they didnt touch anything to do with the gears and they could sort out the gear box (fit a new one) for £130 with no labour charge. i didnt pay them for doing the slave cylinder and havnt heard anything from them so i think they know its them that has done it but wont admit it and if i take car back for fixing they will probably charge me for the slave cylinder too,
it is a 2001 model and is up for its mot soon i will buy some oil tomorrow and bleed it my self but if it doesnt work i might just cut my losses and get a new car and try sell this one
thanks for all the help

It definately sounds like a synchro :(
1st and reverse should be more dificult to select than 3rd if it were the clutch slave cylinder.

The garage will have touched the gears when they brutally selected them without using a clutch.

Lets get a second opinion on this as there are some knowledgable people on this forum.

If i'm right then you really need to stand up for your rights.

the garage that fixed the slave cylinder picked the car up from my house and DROVE it to there garage (about a 20 min drive) with no clutch so im thinking its them thats knackered it driving it to there garage forcing it into gear when they could have easily towed it as they came in a 4x4:mad:
yep they've killed your box, i'd bet money on it. get down there asap and play hell, they should be the ones replacing the gearbox not you.

Back