General Printed manual in a plastic wallet. Available?

Currently reading:
General Printed manual in a plastic wallet. Available?

JaffaOrange

Hello

I've just bought a brand new 2021 4x4 TwinAir. Didn't come with a nice set of manuals ina plastic wallet (like I handed them with the car I was trading-in!). I queried at the time but the dealer seems a bit reluctant to provide them but I will keep on their case, don't worry.

Just wondering if these are actually still available. The online manuals don't do it for me.

Thanks all

Back in the 1950's, some owners handbooks were classy, leather-bound affairs printed on high quality, glossy paper. Then in the '70's, Ford started using what was just a folded sheet of A2 paper in a cheap transparent wallet. Later, manufacturers realised the value of the 'unboxing experience', and produced something more in keeping with what you'd expect if you'd just shelled out thousands of pounds. Then we saw a shift to so-called 'eco-friendly' documentation; at first, a CD, then just a web address printed on a small slip of recycled toilet paper. Next step will probably be a QR code printed on the dashboard.

So you better hope that you've got a good 'phone signal if you need to refer to this information when you're out on the road.

And now the law has been changed so that you can get six points on your licence if you open the 'handbook' with the engine running.

Apparently this is called 'progress'.

Some years ago, Volvo gave a CD instead of a handbook, which annoyed their older customers with no computer, so a hard copy was available for purchase. Dealers usually had to foot that bill. having paid £30k for a car, would you expect to pay extra for the instruction manual?
More recently, they have installed the full handbook on the infotainment system, but it is generally difficult to find whatever you're looking for. As standard they give a small booklet with the basics about unlocking/locking, seat/steering adjustments, fuelling, etc., and expect owners to read the in-car manual for anything else.
With a new (to me) vehicle, I like to take the handbook indoors, in the warm, and browse it whenever required. Sitting in a cold car is not going to happen.
I wonder how the manufacturers will get on when a failure occurs due to the owner not following instructions that are only hidden in the -in-car system? I've met owners who are a bit miffed about the scanty booklet, but have no idea the rest is in the car.
I think Mercedes are going the same way, as there seems to be no books in their Sprinter vans these days, used to be about 2cm thick, so I can see why they want the cost saving. Selling the highest tech thing most will ever own, and keeping its operating instructions a secret, seems foolhardy.

Hand books contain vital safety information and must be provided by the dealer or they are failing to enable safe use and are undoubtedly in breach of some safety related law, go back and tell them it will be a project to find out which. I believe under The Supply of Machinery Regulations they are required as a seller of machinery to comply with the not unreasonable request to proide safety and operating information.

Download the Panda app. its easy to use.... even I can ,manage it.

I have seen them on eBay and you can get one from a dealer. Fiat Customer services might even help with this one as its cheap and easy!

Back