Technical Powerful steering wobble

Currently reading:
Technical Powerful steering wobble

Hellcat

zombie nation
Just got this problem on my Marea Weekend 1.9JTD...

Pulling into Ikea car park (tight left turn) I heard a knocking noise. Now there is a wobble through the steering, especially when slowing from speed. As I approach a stop the wobble is very powerful.

Any ideas what to check? Typically its happened just as I go back to work - and not during my 3 weeks off when I had time to fix it! :bang:

custard

i had something similar once and the cv boot had popped.when i slowed down it felt like something was pulling the steering wheel

OP
OP
Hellcat

Hellcat

zombie nation
Pulling just one way? This wobbles as if the wheel was bent. Wheel looks ok though. :confused:

custard

nah it was a wobble at speed but as you slow down it becomes more of a pulling wobble if that makes sense?

came on gradually but over a short period of time

custard

this was on another car.basically the cable tie had popped of the end of the boot so an easy if not messy fix

HP

I was only doing 80...
Look for a dodgy tyre, loose wheel bolts or play in the balljoints.

Diesel Doc

sounds like loose wheel nuts, and check the big nut on the end of the drive shaft too, It just could be as simple as that, everyone looks for the worst case scenario before checking the obvious 1st(y)

HP

I was only doing 80...
Jack it up and spin the wheel by hand, see what you can feel.

Tryfan_Tamer

The Analyzer
I had a similar problem and it turned out one of my rear tyres had a lump in it... wierd really, spent ages looking around the front of the car and it was the rear that was the problem... I found this after having the tracking done, balancing the front wheels and going through an MOT..!! :eek:

OP
OP
Hellcat

Hellcat

zombie nation
I think its something to do with the dampers - If I drive it like a family estate it's fine. If I drive it in a more spirited fashion it kicks back! It passed the MOT recently so I'll plan to replace the dampers, springs, drop links and lower arms in a few months when its a bit warmer.