Technical Power failure

Currently reading:
Technical Power failure

laurensverbeek77

Hi! I'm Laurens from the Netherlands.

2 Weeks ago I travelled back form Italy to Holland by Austria and Germany.
In the mountains of Italy just for the border with Austria I had to full up my tank at a petrolstation. This petrolstation (A22, Apsfuel, near Campo di Trens) was more a truck station, so it had only 2 benzine pomps.
I had to full my 500S 0,9 completely. A friend of my also, but only for 1/3 of tank.
When we get back on the A22 my engine had less power than before. I couldn't go harder then 140km/h.
When I turned of the engine the power was back, not completely but is was better then before with the problem. But each time when drove fast the problem returns.
My friend had the problem in Germany... because he only had filled up his tank for 1/3.
But after he filled up his tank at a Shell station his power was back.
My car still had the problem.

Now after 2 weeks I have filled up my tank with octane 98 and 102, but still no effect.
My garage couldn't find the problem on the computer.

This sucks!

Any ideas?

Greetings,
Laurens

Hi Laurens,
As a first step I would try a ECU reset. (Disconnect power for a while)

Hi! I'm Laurens from the Netherlands.

2 Weeks ago I travelled back form Italy to Holland by Austria and Germany.
In the mountains of Italy just for the border with Austria I had to full up my tank at a petrolstation. This petrolstation (A22, Apsfuel, near Campo di Trens) was more a truck station, so it had only 2 benzine pomps.
I had to full my 500S 0,9 completely. A friend of my also, but only for 1/3 of tank.
When we get back on the A22 my engine had less power than before. I couldn't go harder then 140km/h.
When I turned of the engine the power was back, not completely but is was better then before with the problem. But each time when drove fast the problem returns.
My friend had the problem in Germany... because he only had filled up his tank for 1/3.
But after he filled up his tank at a Shell station his power was back.
My car still had the problem.

Now after 2 weeks I have filled up my tank with octane 98 and 102, but still no effect.
My garage couldn't find the problem on the computer.

This sucks!

Any ideas?

Greetings,
Laurens

This is really interesting, did you get it resolved.
I have noticed on my TwinAir, that it really adapts to the quality of the fuel that you put in it.

Generally I only fill up with 98Ron Super unleaded in the car and it really flies.
Like really flies, it's a hot hatch.... It's smooth and it goes.

I am sure that a number of you are now wondering how a 85bhp TwinAir can be a hot hatch, but I suggest all you TwinAir owners should give super unleaded a go and see what you think.

The other week, I thought that maybe since the price of Super Unleaded has gone up to €1.47 here a litre perhaps I should use normal...
But it really made a difference, the engine became muted along with the overall power. On 95Ron good quality standard fuel, the car became boring...
Moving back to 98Ron and the engine and the car wakes up!

Last edited:
Super Unleaded does work. Asda 95 unleaded is awful (possible ethanol content). Fuel additive cleaned it out. Then went back to Texaco 95 which diluted what waa left. Shell VPower couldn't tell much. Esso 97 worked on previous 4x4 and definitely works on this. Got Texaco 97 in now from different fuel station to the 95. Same as the Esso. Throttle response and torque mainly. Economy makes it break even (just). (y)

Last edited:
Given the car cannot read the fuel type, I can only assume it's the knock sensor that adjusts the engine parameters allowing different running?

Yes exactly, but the consistent difference between 98 and 95ron suggests that the engine is really designed for 98ron super unleaded and de tunes itself for lower quality petrol

Yes exactly, but the consistent difference between 98 and 95ron suggests that the engine is really designed for 98ron super unleaded and de tunes itself for lower quality petrol

Possibly quite right, my old Accord(s) ran "better" on 98/99 octane, makes me wonder how my 16v VVT Mazda would run on it?

Back