Post pics of your guitar thread!

Currently reading:
Post pics of your guitar thread!

After my 3 (soon to be 4) year old daughter saw the new guitar she has not stopped going on about wanting a real guitar, she's just got some toy one that can't even be tuned at the moment so we decided to get her one for her coming birthday in just over two weeks.

She will crap herself when she sees it, it's really funky and it plays pretty well to, the frets are nice and soft and very easy to hold the strings on so shouldn't hurt her little fingers too much.

She gets her toy guitar out every time I am playing mine so hopefully this will be the start of her musical career :D

Here's the guitar we got her, well the same as this but we have already wrapped hers up so I couldn't take a photo of it.

http://www.musiccorner.co.uk/product_info.php?cPath=5_40_4697_501&products_id=101004

Nice guitars Mark, though I have to be honest and say that I don't really know much about acoustics. :eek: I'm also not very good at playing acoustics as I much prefer electrics because they are so much easier to play. Saying that, a friend of mine has some nice acoustics and I get on quite well with those. One is an old Eko from Italy and the other is a modern Tanglewood, both steel strung with nice low action.

I guess that because I am a bass player I'm not that up to scratch with chords and melodies, so when I get hold of an electric six string I normally whack loads of effects on it Tom Morello style. This then allows me to use it as a rhythmic sound effects device with heavy riffing ala Rage Against the Machine :)slayer: :slayer: :slayer:), otherwise I tend to play funky rhythm style like John Frusciente (sp!) from the Red Hot Chili Peppers. :slayer:

I should get myself a nice acoustic to learn some six string guitar techniques, though at the moment I really quite fancy getting a Fender Telecaster (it's that Tom Morello influence again!) I tried one out recently at a music shop my friend works at and really liked it, so different from the humbucker sounds from the Les Paul guitars I am used to and even very different from the Strat style guitars I've used as well.

Only problem is that this was a USA made Fender and carried a price tag of about £700 :( Ah well, with some money saved from stopping smoking (2 months now!) and with the promise of my student bursary coming through in the next few weeks I might treat myself to a Squier Telecaster Standard as my reward. They are a bit more affordable at around £170 new or £120 second hand, but I'll have to see how my finances pan out over the next few weeks.

Saying that, I've got really into playing my old Kay Les Paul copy. I thought it was fit only for fire wood, but other than the useless machine heads it's actually quiet good to play. Maybe I'll buy some new machine heads and parts from Ebay and give it a refurb :idea:

Oh, and the purple pony acoustic (!) you bought for your daughter Mark. If it comes steel strung she might get on better with it initially if you re-string it with nylon strings. They will be much kinder on her hands as steel strings can really cut until finger tips toughen up.

Pic attached of the Squier Telecaster I will probably get next, and also a picture of a Fender Jaguar bass that I've fallen in love with. I always maintained that I already had two of the three bases I always wanted (Rickenbacker 4001 and Fender Jazz '75 re-issue) but now Fender have now made that four with the Jaguar released about a year ago as a brand new model! The only other bass I wanted was a Gibson Thunderbird but that was only for looks rather than how it sounded.

So now I need to save up for a Squier Tele, a Fender Jaguar bass and a reasonable acoustic six string. Bugger, there goes my first years student bursary... :rolleyes:

Attachments

• Telecaster.jpg
    Telecaster.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 13
  • redjaguarbass_wholelg.jpg
    redjaguarbass_wholelg.jpg
    24.8 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:
Hi Chas,

The Stag pony guitar has nylon strings so no problems there, soreness of fingers would put her off big time. My son saw the state of my fingers when I started up again last year and it's put him off playing guitar so I wanted to make sure it was a smooth introduction for my daughter. :)

I surprised myself this week, I bought a book with a load of tabs in it which I thought looked fairly advanced but within my repertoire after a bit of practice. However I found myself to be way ahead of the standard in the book when it came to playing the tunes, so much so that I bought some blank tab paper and have rewritten a couple of the songs so that I can fill the spaces between the chords. :slayer: Lovin it :D

I do like the look of that Squier Telecaster :yum:

I know what you mean with the outlay for an expensive guitar, I have my eye on a few acoustics and I was tempted this time to get something close to the £700 mark with the Ibanez EP9 Steve Vai signature model here

1604-large.jpg

A few others were very tempting but a cash flow problem ( a large scale tank due next month ) has limited me. But I do love the Dean and the high action of the crafter has relegated it to second choice now so I may even trade it in for a Taylor or the Ibanez in a couple of months.
I have also got my eye on the Freshman FA300JBKS here

http://www.freshmanguitars.co.uk/products.asp?ID=55#detail

Freshman have been really helpful and are arranging for me to have a play on this guitar at a local shop as it's quite hard to source.

Have you ever tried an Acoustic Bass Chas ?

I have seen a few and some of the designs are loverly :yum:

Nice one for kicking the smokin habit too (y) :cool:

Oops, forgot to answer to this thread. Starting Uni kind of messed up my routine and thought patterns :eek:

Hi Chas,

The Stag pony guitar has nylon strings so no problems there, soreness of fingers would put her off big time. My son saw the state of my fingers when I started up again last year and it's put him off playing guitar so I wanted to make sure it was a smooth introduction for my daughter. :)

I remember when nearly all acoustics seem to be strung with nylon strings. If they get old enough they can start fraying and still bugger up your finger tips! Not as bad a steel strings though ;)

So has your daughter started playing the pink pony guitar yet Mark? I'm sure she'll just initially strum the strings at random, but hopefully you can teach her a few chords and get her playing along with you. (y)

As for your son and bleeding finger tips - tell him that there's no gain without pain. I'm sure it was Jimmy Page who said "If your fingers don't bleed you aren't trying hard enough"!

I surprised myself this week, I bought a book with a load of tabs in it which I thought looked fairly advanced but within my repertoire after a bit of practice. However I found myself to be way ahead of the standard in the book when it came to playing the tunes, so much so that I bought some blank tab paper and have rewritten a couple of the songs so that I can fill the spaces between the chords. :slayer: Lovin it :D

Lol! That's always a boost to the confidence! It's even better when you get a guitar tab book for famous songs and start saying "No, that's the wrong chord. It should be A major diminished seventh" :p

I do like the look of that Squier Telecaster :yum:

Strangely, I never used to like the look of a Tele. Then again, when I first got into playing bass I didn't like the look of a Rickenbacker and didn't like sunburst paint finishes. Now I own a Rickenbacker 4001 bass, a Sunburst Jazz Bass and am looking for a Fender Telecaster. My tastes seem to have reversed as I've got older!

I know what you mean with the outlay for an expensive guitar, I have my eye on a few acoustics and I was tempted this time to get something close to the £700 mark with the Ibanez EP9 Steve Vai signature model here

1604-large.jpg

That looks nice, it almost looks too good to play! I like the 'tree of life' on the fret board too.

In general you do get what you pay for when it comes to instruments. The more you pay, the better the craftmanship.

However it can get confusing when companies like Fender have their guitars made in different factories and in different countries. It also depends on when the guitars were made! For instance, a lot of people thought that the Japanese Fenders were as good (or better) compared with the USA Fenders even though they were cheaper. Very early Squires that were made in Japan were considered to be superior to the then current US models!

But then Squire production was moved to Korea, and there's even a budget Squier brand called the 'Affinity' model made in China. The Korean Squires are quite good, but the general consensus is to avoid the Affinity models.

It then gets more confusing in that there are Mexican made Fenders. The early Mex Fenders weren't supposed to be that good, but now the quality is supposed to be very good!

So in my hunt for a Squire Tele I have to be so careful to buy the 'right' model. There was a 1984 model for sale on Ebay recently, quite beat up, that fetched £180. Brand new Affinity models cost less and new Korean Squires are only about £20 - £40 more! That's because a lot of people have cottoned on to how good the early Jap Squires are...

Rickenbacker by the way have no such problem. They are still hand made in the same factory that has always made them. One of the things I like so much about my Rick is that it feels like a quality instrument as well as sounding fantastic. Bloody well ought to considering I went through hell and high water getting it back to the UK from the USA!

A few others were very tempting but a cash flow problem ( a large scale tank due next month ) has limited me. But I do love the Dean and the high action of the crafter has relegated it to second choice now so I may even trade it in for a Taylor or the Ibanez in a couple of months.
I have also got my eye on the Freshman FA300JBKS here

http://www.freshmanguitars.co.uk/products.asp?ID=55#detail

Freshman have been really helpful and are arranging for me to have a play on this guitar at a local shop as it's quite hard to source.

I have no cash flow at the moment! Have had to turn down the chance to buy a Uno Turbo and can't even splash out on a second hand Squier Tele at the moment. Such are the sacrifices one must make for a new career. Then again, I do have rather a few guitars already so I can't complain too much :eek:

It's nice that Freshman are arranging for you to play one of their guitars at a local shop (GAK by any chance?) That's how the quality manufacturers used to treat their customers, but now if you ring up most helplines you just get a pre-recorded message with options to press. Grrr...

Have you ever tried an Acoustic Bass Chas ?

I have seen a few and some of the designs are loverly :yum:

Yes, I have - they're kind of strange! The action tends to be a lot higher than an electric, and they sound so different. Much thicker and 'woody', if that is the right kind of description. More like a double bass sound than an electric going through an amp. Also weird the way the body of the acoustic bass vibrates so much, you can really feel it on your chest.

They're quite expensive though, so I couldn't really justify getting one as I also wouldn't get a chance to use it much. Maybe one day, so I'll just add it to my never ending 'Wants' list :p

Nice one for kicking the smokin habit too (y) :cool:

No-one is more surprised than me that I managed to give up smoking. I guess it was just a mind over matter thing, and once I decided to pack it in that was it. Only problem is that I've since put on weight which I'm not happy about! But with the money I'm saving and the health benefits (except the weight gain!) it can only be a good thing, and sooner or later the money saved will go towards a new guitar :cool:

In the meantime I've got to get rid of that extra inch or so that's appeared round my waist...

Chas said:
So has your daughter started playing the pink pony guitar yet Mark? I'm sure she'll just initially strum the strings at random, but hopefully you can teach her a few chords and get her playing along with you. (y)
This Sunday is her birthday, we can't wait because she has not stopped talking about wanting a real guitar and she has no clue she's getting one still. Chrissy is making a guitar shaped chocolate cake too, I'll post pics here :D (y)

I painted all her bedroom the other day and have pre drilled the holes for a guitar hook so I just have to screw it in on the day so she's got the guitar over her bed (y)

I'll start her on "A" and let her just play with that for a while till she's comfortable with it, then introduce another and so on.

I was messing about on my Dean earlier today and she stood watching me, totally engrossed, itching to have a pluck so I tried something out.
I told her to count to six and pluck the E string ( not the G string, we don't want to get Dave all excited :rolleyes: ) in time to her counting and I played the Sin City tune ( i'd just finished watching it in HD (y) ) on the frets, she kept the timing very well and was so excited that a tune was being made and she was part of it, it was great :)

Chas said:
Strangely, I never used to like the look of a Tele. Then again, when I first got into playing bass I didn't like the look of a Rickenbacker and didn't like sunburst paint finishes. Now I own a Rickenbacker 4001 bass, a Sunburst Jazz Bass and am looking for a Fender Telecaster. My tastes seem to have reversed as I've got older!
I know exactly what you mean, I had always disliked the look of acoustics, and some of them are still really ugly to me but I have a real appreciation for craftsmanship on these things and my tastes have developed along with that understanding of the acoustic guitar. I always hated the dreadnought style acoustics until I saw the Dean exotic in person, I don't think I would have bought just any dreadnought style, it was just the fact that this one jumped out in it's style and when I played it there was just no going back. I can't wait till I find that ultimate acoustic guitar at the higher price range, because if it's even better than this ( and surely the large hike in expense would suggest it will be ) then I will be in heaven :slayer: Roll on my next bonus :cool:

Chas said:
It's nice that Freshman are arranging for you to play one of their guitars at a local shop (GAK by any chance?) That's how the quality manufacturers used to treat their customers, but now if you ring up most helplines you just get a pre-recorded message with options to press. Grrr...
It's actually gonna go to a small shop just a couple of miles away from me, once I get back to them, I need to get the funds before I go and play it as I don't want to mess anyone about if I do find the guitar to be as good as it looks and the reviews suggest that it is.

As for the weight gain after quiting the smokes, once you are fully over the loss of the ciggies and you don't crave them in the slightest then you can probably concentrate on losing the excess baggage, it's easier to sort one out at a time, giving up smoking is a massive achievement and anything that makes it easier has to be a good thing and if you have the will power to quite smoking then weight loss will be a cinch :cool:

This be one of mine, its a Samick, I also have a very basic aria pro paul and a rather nice Kimbara electro-acoustic, but its only the Samick I play regularly

l_7aac2689da696c84d4ab9d4d6be94095.jpg

how the hell did i not spot this thread! this is my rig:

bass:
Music man stingray 5
Amp:
GK 400RB head and a 4-10 cab
F/X:
Dulux memory man
Bass Balls
Boss ODB-3 (overdrive)
Mini Q-Tron

(sorry but i have a very messy room atm)

DSC00498.jpg

Last edited:
Got myself a couple of 'new' (to me) guitars since I last posted in this thread!

Here's my latest addition that I bought a couple of months back. I got this instead of having a holiday this year!

It's a Tokai FA70 (Gibson ES175 replica) and it's a HOLLOWBODY (NOT semi-acoustic) jazz guitar that's almost identical to the Gibson it replicates but cost a fraction of the price. In fact I got this one for way below book price thanks to it being collection only on Ebay. It's a big old bugger with twin PAF humbuckers and can go from thick and warm sounding jazz to snarling chunky rock. I love the look of it and was inspired to get one because Geordie Walker of Killing Joke plays a Gibson ES295 (same body shape, but a 'gold top' with twin P90 pickups instead of humbuckers). Geordie managed to pull noises that sounded like they came from the depth of Hell from his guitar!

Anyway, here it is in all its flamboyant jazz glory :cool:

DSCF00515.JPG

DSCF00535.JPG

DSCF00544.JPG

DSCF00591.JPG

Close up of the controls and scratchplate:

DSCF00662.JPG

And check out those split parallelogram fret markers as per the real Gibson ES175!

DSCF00673.JPG

One cool looking and sounding guitar :cool: :slayer:

Im loving that!, first time in ages i got back onto the hollowbody/jazz 12 string, alwasy put off it because for some reason floating bridge 12 stringers dont hold tune :(

but very much loving the tokai, its gorge!

just been stripping the body to an early 90's tele copy, necks already sorted and recon'd just dont know what to go for colour wise, cherry red with satin black fingerplate im thinking!

do how many guitars you got now??? must be racking them up :p

Im loving that!, first time in ages i got back onto the hollowbody/jazz 12 string, alwasy put off it because for some reason floating bridge 12 stringers dont hold tune :(

Floating bridges can be a PITA because they, er, float! Luckily I don't do much string bending so generally the Tokai's tuning has been fine. I do want to swap the wooden bridge for a diecast Gibson style Tune-o-matic though to give it some extra bite ;)

but very much loving the tokai, its gorge!

Cheers! The look definitely sold it to me :cool:

just been stripping the body to an early 90's tele copy, necks already sorted and recon'd just dont know what to go for colour wise, cherry red with satin black fingerplate im thinking!

Sounds interesting! Try Photoshopping it to get an idea of the colour scheme you want? And you say it's a Tele copy - which manufacturer?

I also got myself a '97 Squier Telecaster last year, Korean model, totally standard. I'll post some pics up later (y)

do how many guitars you got now??? must be racking them up :p

Ummm.......

:eek:

haha not far behind, im on 7 now , its a bug!, mainly due to the style and sound ive got 7,

Classical Gas made me buy a nylon spanish/classical,

A guy on youtube called edkhim made me get the 12 string,

The electro and grand auditorium just for general pick up and play, and good to take along to festivals,

the eko eldorado is my dads but ive thieved it!

the les paul copy has gone :( but the tele was mty brothers and bought it from him for 30 notes! (no pun intended! )

its a squier tele, is been neglected so thoughts id show it some love!

Back