Technical Possible wheel bearing gone?

Currently reading:
Technical Possible wheel bearing gone?

Hi my 59' (Fiat built) KA has developed a classic wheel bearing drone when driving straight ahead or turning right. When turning left the drone disappears.

Seems a bit odd that a car that age would have a wheel bearing go at 30,000 miles. So jacked the car up and there is absolutely no play in the wheels holding at 12 and 6 and also 9 and 3. There is a little rubbing noise at certain points on both front wheels when turning them which I think is linked to the (well known) rubbish fiat design also used on the 500 and not the wheel bearing.

I'm getting it seen to on Thursday but just wondering if you guys do believe it could still be the bearings?

I had new Maxxis tyres on the front about a month ago and it seems to be since then the noise started. If it was the tyres though I would imagine he noise to be all the time?

I've heard the words "CV joint" thrown around as well but I have no idea what that is or how I can test that.

ANY help much appreciated. :D

To test wheel bearing, jack up car, spin wheel while holding onto strut. If you can feel a vibration, it's the bearing. Modern wheel bearings don't usually develop play unless they're a really long way gone. Slight rubbing noise from the brakes is normal, and if it's intermittent it could still be within disc run out spec.

A CV joint will make more of a clicking noise when turning full lock one way and it will disapear when turning the other way. Unless of course, they're both stuffed...

Could also be the new tyres, non ECO types can drone when new especially. Could try swaping front to rear and see if that changes the noise.

Last edited:
Just to clear up this thread, it was the wheel bearing. Pretty shocked this could happen on a 59 plate car at 30,000 miles just driving on average roads.

I've been relieved of £130 :bang:

... I had new Maxxis tyres on the front about a month ago and it seems to be since then the noise started ... Any help much appreciated. :D

Possible `cause & effect'
As tyre shops (quietly) well know - Chinese tyres can be challenging to weight & balance up.

301329Z

Possible `cause & effect'

Quite likely.

If the wheels are out of dynamic balance, it puts a significant extra stress on the wheel bearings; the wider the tyres, the greater the effect.

In the old days when most 500 sized cars ran around on 135's, wheel bearing failures were far less common.

Back