Technical Possible Head-gasket Issue?

Currently reading:
Technical Possible Head-gasket Issue?

Ieen

I believe I may have a possible head gasket issue.

When I went to top up my oil today I noticed some 'white gunk' where the oil goes and some 'white crust' on the lid. Could this be that my head gasket needs replacement?

I've attached some photo's so you can see the actual problem:

Attachments

• photo (1).JPG
    photo (1).JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 44
  • photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 34
Well the car is booked in on the 4th February for brakes - so I will get the mechanic to check it over.

What would be the cost for a head gasket replacement - I've seen that there are kits on eBay for around £60..

Thanks Hussein - as I said I'll get my mechanic to do a compression test, unless its something I could do myself?

short journeys where the engine doesn't warm up could also cause the white gunk around the cap. headgasket plus head skim is usually about £400 but depends on who does it.

I forgot to say - I didn't put oil in upon seeing this problem.. would it do any harm to put oil into the car with this 'white gunk'?

I'm in the same position with my Stilo - I have some gunky looking stuff in the oil filler cap, but don't have any of the symptoms you'd expect with head gasket issues. I've been intending to get a compression test done, and really must get round to it. I'd be very interested to hear what happens with your car...

I wouldn't worry too much about it during winter. I have this mayo every winter when temperature drops, combined with short trips. It's condensation in the filler tube. White smoke at startup is not a sign of a gasket failure, and some white smoke on very cold days (combined with cold engine) is just condensation aswell. (y)

But I agree, it looks very scary at first.

Yeah - I don't have all the signs of a head gasket problem, I was just worried by this as the car has only done about 40k miles.

Can I scrape this white mayo out and then fill it with oil?

Yeah - I don't have all the signs of a head gasket problem, I was just worried by this as the car has only done about 40k miles.

You don't have to scrape it off. It disappears when weather gets hotter or you start taking long journeys. But you can scrape it off if you want. Oil will just pour over it and down to the sump.

M.

the "white stuff" is just an emulsified oil and water mixture, weather its down to headgasket or not.

so adding oil to it wont make a blind bit of difference, top it up and take it for a long-ish drive, see of oil or coolant drops at all and look out for white steam/smoke about 20 mins into the drive, that should be more than enough time for the condensation in the system to evapourate.

Next oil change, go for a high-quality fully synthetic oil (something like a 0W-40) and you won't get this problem...even in the winter.

Next oil change, go for a high-quality fully synthetic oil (something like a 0W-40) and you won't get this problem...even in the winter.

Ah - so it's because I am using a part-synthetic oil then? Of which I just topped up my car with.

Whilst topping my car up, I noticed my water level had gone down to just above minimum when I topped it up earlier and it was just above the maximum ever so slightly (although before I topped the water up it was below minimum by quite a bit). Due to it going down to just over minimum is the water sitting in the radiator/pipes? Or have I lost a lot of water?

Oh and to add - I just drove back from Coventry so about a 15mile all round trip and noticed no white smoke coming from my exhaust after around 20 minutes.. only when the engine was cold was there white smoke.

I'm quite the car newb - it really is not my forte!

Last edited:
Ah - so it's because I am using a part-synthetic oil then? Of which I just topped up my car with.

Propably. But 5W40 will also make mayo. If Yellow Peril says that 0W will vaporize the mayo, I will put that in my car aswell this summer.

Whilst topping my car up, I noticed my water level had gone down to just above minimum when I topped it up earlier and it was just above the maximum ever so slightly (although before I topped the water up it was below minimum by quite a bit). Due to it going down to just over minimum is the water sitting in the radiator/pipes? Or have I lost a lot of water?

It's normal, due to pressure and opening / closing of the thermostat.

Oh and to add - I just drove back from Coventry so about a 15mile all round trip and noticed no white smoke coming from my exhaust after around 20 minutes.. only when the engine was cold was there white smoke.

Your engine is in good condition. But change the oil to synthetic.

Only just got my stilo abarth.
I also have this problem,but before the abarth had the same in my bmw all down to freezing conditions and oil not getting hot enough to burn vapour off.
Do you do a lot of miles cos i only do about ten miles a day for work.
My solution would be give it a good run at weekend get oil nice and hot see if thats helps.
:worship::worship::worship::worship::worship::worship::worship::worship::worship::worship::worship::worship::worship::worship::worship::worship::worship::worship::worship:
HOPE THIS HELPS AND SETS YOU MIND AT EASE.

Propably. But 5W40 will also make mayo. If Yellow Peril says that 0W will vaporize the mayo, I will put that in my car aswell this summer.
Don't use such a thin oil in summer. How hot is it up north in summer actually? Best would be 5W50 in summer but it's pretty rare and expensive. The best one in really hot climates (40+ deg. Celsius) like down here would be something fully synthetic starting with 10W and the bigger the summer index the better 50W, 60W but sadly those are pretty rare and expensive too. I myself found a compromise and put in Selenia K 5W40 unfortunately Selenia does not offer a fully synthetic XW50 oil...

Don't use such a thin oil in summer. How hot is it up north in summer actually? Best would be 5W50 in summer but it's pretty rare and expensive. The best one in really hot climates (40+ deg. Celsius) like down here would be something fully synthetic starting with 10W and the bigger the summer index the better 50W, 60W but sadly those are pretty rare and expensive too. I myself found a compromise and put in Selenia K 5W40 unfortunately Selenia does not offer a fully synthetic XW50 oil...

We rarely have more than +30°C, a more normal summer temperature would average at +15 to 25°C, depenting on location. Around the coast the lowest temp is -20°C, but within the "inner" country it could easily reach -30 to -40°C. It's difficult to find an universal oil for this climate. A no-brand 5W40 works perfectly. Selenia doesn't exist here.

Back