Technical Possibilities for a Mk1 Punto blown head gasket

Currently reading:
Technical Possibilities for a Mk1 Punto blown head gasket

Blinddriver

I blew the head gasket on my punto a few months ago and it has been guaranteed for a eyar, so i want to know, what my options are. Are there any engines that would fit the punto? i heard that the coupe engine is similar and has been known to fit. Is it easier to just refit a new punto engine and add a turbo?? or should I just fit a new head gasket??

regards

Blinddriver

I blew the head gasket on my punto a few months ago and it has been guaranteed for a eyar, so i want to know, what my options are. Are there any engines that would fit the punto? i heard that the coupe engine is similar and has been known to fit. Is it easier to just refit a new punto engine and add a turbo?? or should I just fit a new head gasket??

regards

Blinddriver
first of all hello...............:Dsecondlythe only similarities between the mk1 punto engine & coupe engine is that they are both fiat:rolleyes:......thirdly the one thing youve got right, yes fit the head gasket(y):rolleyes:

first of all hello...............:Dsecondlythe only similarities between the mk1 punto engine & coupe engine is that they are both fiat:rolleyes:......thirdly the one thing youve got right, yes fit the head gasket(y):rolleyes:

Thought the coupe engine had same external dimensions as one of the diesel units so would fit....but tbf the artist formally known as littlepip (the sultan) would know more about that?

So you've blown a HG its still in guarantee er get it done free of charge? Engine swaps are possible but even if you want to go ahead its expensive and leaves a punto rather nose heavy with 2.0 lump in it. What engine is it? if its a 60 just get a 75 cam a GSR and a remap and it will be faster with no where near the work of a swap if its anything else think about buying a new car as the money you'll be spending would get you a GT...

Thought the coupe engine had same external dimensions as one of the diesel units so would fit....but tbf the artist formally known as littlepip (the sultan) would know more about that?

So you've blown a HG its still in guarantee er get it done free of charge? Engine swaps are possible but even if you want to go ahead its expensive and leaves a punto rather nose heavy with 2.0 lump in it. What engine is it? if its a 60 just get a 75 cam a GSR and a remap and it will be faster with no where near the work of a swap if its anything else think about buying a new car as the money you'll be spending would get you a GT...
at the end of the day you could make most engines fit any car so to speak......a coupe engine has been slotted into mk1 punto in the past, but not an easy job. i don't have to tell anyone on here who has even a wee bit of knowledge that apart from the cost, there other things have to done apart from the engine alone....brakes,suspension all need uprated decent tyres etc etc. the list is endless. a simple solution is what i offered on a mk1 punto, whether or not guarantee is applicable here only he knows.....if its performance hes after a remap & fiddling about on a wee punto will show little results in power, you'll get a few horses but nothing really that noticeable especially for the money spent:eek: around £200 + for a remap for starters & on a small engine no real gains as said, well not as some would like;) im the last person to put people off upgrading their cars but some things are just too much money for so little gains:(

So you're saying you had the HG replaced and guaranteed for a year, a few months ago...

...and now its went again?

I hate to be the bearer of bad tidings, but unless you have a limitless amount of money to through at the car I'd just get rid of it now and buy something else. (n)

I speak from experience! My 16v Sportings HG went in April 2007, and then again in January 2008 and then again in April 2008. At this point I decided that no matter how much I loved the car (had it 8 years) and how much I wanted to keep her...I had to let her go and buy something new.

If you can source a reliable low mileage 16v Sporting engine...fit that, it should be simple and cheap enough TBH

Back