Grande Punto Poorly Grande Punto

Currently reading:
Grande Punto Poorly Grande Punto

Ads dad

Hi everyone,
I'm new to the forum although I have been looking in! I have owned Fiats before. Two 124 Spiders. A real pretty 2000 that I bought in Dallas and a less pretty RHD one that I bought in this country. Anyway enough history. I have a new problem in my life. A 1.3 Grande diesel that was my sons car until it failed in spectacular fashion on a major roundabout. The AA returned it home in disgrace! Muttering that the timing chain had gone. A local garage put a timing chain kit on and renewed the MOT as it needed a new one by this time. It runs but it's weedy and they said the turbo has gone with engine light on. I have got it in the garage, removed the oil filter housing as I think it could be contaminated from the chain and in need of a good clean out. I have also removed the turbo as I thought the bearing could have failed all looks ok though and no play. I also cleaned the blocked breather. I am just about to put it all back together but respectfully ask the Forum If I should do more before firing up the beast?
Andrew

Hi Andrew, and welcome.

I'm new to 1.3 Mjet ownership too, but I've been reading allot to get up to speed. As far as I know the chain failing will have a knock on effect on the cam followers on this engine.

This is by design, in order to save bending valves and having to open the engine right up. In your repair, do you have evidence that all followers were inspected and, where necessary replaced? Also following a heavy shunt on the rotating parts, I would also be looking to check the followers/tappets clearances.

Lastly, who did the chain replacement? Did they use an engine locking kit to ensure timing is optimal post chain change? Do you know if the timing is spot on or could this be a point of contention also......

Fortunately for me, I haven't seen limp mode yet, but give it time.. :D ...some of the other members on here may be able to confirm whether the car always goes into limp mode when the engine light comes on?? If not, then the code should determine what is forcing limp mode to engage, could be a host of sensors, but trial and error can be expensive, so better to find a way to read the codes and replace accordingly........well, you've been around, so you know the drill by now ;)

On another note, I'm not convinced that the chains and sprockets fail on these engines due to poor design. In my experience of checking a few cars prior to buying, almost 100% of the cars I saw get a very hard life with little or minimal maintenance. Seeing as the car is a Turbo, any oil lubricant neglect is likely to be a contributing factor to Turbo, Chain, Crank, or general internal engine failure. I may stand corrected, but thus far opinion swings on poor maintenance from what I can gather. Ohh and don't pay attention to Fiat claiming 18K oil changes, its not the first time the Fiat group have had to re-tract and revise maintenance and service intervals on various engines, so I wouldn't be surprised if this applies in this case also ;) just service the car as any other Turbo charged motor and all should be good in the long run.

If there is anything I can help with, please shout.

Humour

Last edited:
Back