Police Speed Camera

Currently reading:
Police Speed Camera

:eek: I think I got caught by one of them portable speed camera van thingys yesterday... how close to the van is it before they clock your speed? :bang:

:eek: I think I got caught by one of them portable speed camera van thingys yesterday... how close to the van is it before they clock your speed? :bang:

Long way... they are average speed over a measured distance usually.

Because a lot of cars have speedometers that read over or under your real speed they have to make an allowance. It used to be 10% + 2mph, I think it still is in a lot of force areas.

I think I'm right in saying that the 'construction and use' regulations for motor vehicles makes an allowance of up to 10% either way for the accuracy of speedometers, I'm sure someone will correct me if I've got that wrong :bang:

There really is nothing you can do except wait 14 days, if the Notice of Intention to Prosecute has not been issued by then there is nothing to worry about.

Good luck (y)

oooh i think my speedo sits a bit over the actual speed im doing...

i've got a flashing sign not too far from me that reads your speed when you through it... and it's always been 2mph under what my car says. I have hope!! :D

Also take into consideration that the operator isn't allowed to target every car only those he/she/it believes to be speeding

The LTI 20-20 that GMP use is fitted with a 500mm Tamron lens and can be operated up to about 300 yards away. You also need to consider whether or not there was another vehicle partially or completely obscuring the camera's view of your car and plate.

Think thats not particularly constructive TBH, yes we should all drive at less than the speed limit but it is far to easy in a 30mph zone to creep over without realising on a down slope or even pulling out to overtake a stationary vehicle all it takes is a few mm too much on the pedal on the right and your doing 35. It could happen to anyone unless you drive round looking at your speedo all the time, at which point your probably more likely to crash because you aren't giving the road your full attention.

Last edited:
Think thats not a particularly constructive TBH, yes we should all drive at less than the speed limit but it is far to easy in a 30mph zone to creep over without realising on a down slope or even pulling out to overtake a stationary vehicle all it takes is a few mm too much on the pedal on the right and your doing 35. It could happen to anyone unless you drive round looking at your speedo all the time, at which point your probably more likely to crash because you aren't giving the road your full attention.

Beep function on the GP is good if you drive through 30's or 40's with a lot of camera's.

Camers are always either just over the brow of the hill so you can't see it or at the bottom of the slope.:rolleyes:

And the same old post pops up again....with the same old answer,'dont speed and then you wont get caught'!!

Isn't it mostly the people who speed a lot that dont get caught? Because they know where the cameras are etc?

Or just go faster than the camera can pick you up. Thats always the other option ;)

lol :LOL: I think Top Gear tried this, and the speed was around 180mph.

Back