Technical Plumes of Smoke in Cabin on Startup

Currently reading:
Technical Plumes of Smoke in Cabin on Startup

ImageUploadedByFIAT Forum1409840928.257648.jpg
Pretty sure fiat might be liable, take a copy of that in.

Last edited:
Just popped in to FIAT and they have advised me that although there is a recall, it does not apply to my particular vehicle/year etc.

That's rubbish! You have a video of it happening! It's a big safety issue. That could of happened and caught fire whilst driving down a motorway.

I would start kicking up a fuss if I were you.

Me too it's clear the clip was missing it's more likely they've missed some vin numbers :rolleyes:

What part is missing so everyone can check ? All I know is about a clip that was missing on some cars.

I have absolutely no idea how this has happened. Is this an easy fix at home? If not, what is it likely to cost a garage?

How did you do the jumpstart ? Unfortunately it can be the cause, even a small voltage spike can kill semiconductors, for example a mosfet. After it's killed it can burn like it look in your car.

Well I decided to just buy a replacement part (thanks cmosfxx) for £18. However, after unscrewing everything and almost taking it out, there is one clip still stuck in at the back of the unit that I just cannot undo. It is blue in color towards the right hand side as on looks at the front side. Any ideas how to remove this?

Well I decided to just buy a replacement part (thanks cmosfxx) for £18. However, after unscrewing everything and almost taking it out, there is one clip still stuck in at the back of the unit that I just cannot undo. It is blue in color towards the right hand side as on looks at the front side. Any ideas how to remove this?

hmm I hope the pic helps you I don't know what clip you're talking about.:confused:

Attachments

• heater.JPG
    heater.JPG
    120.2 KB · Views: 32
Just a quick question; to make my life a little easier when it comes to the reassembly, is it possible to completely remove the CD player and cage (i.e., disconnect the cabling from the CD player) without requiring a FIAT code?

Just a quick question; to make my life a little easier when it comes to the reassembly, is it possible to completely remove the CD player and cage (i.e., disconnect the cabling from the CD player) without requiring a FIAT code?

Mine never required the code (factory player not second hand etc) :)

In my haste to connect everything, I didn't realise one of the wires used to control the heater was slightly snagged and as I tried to get the unit in place, it snapped tiny bit of plastic which holds it in place:

Not a problem I thought, I'll just use the old one... Until I did it again and then I realised the wire was snagged slightly so could not stretch that extra millimeter! Anyway, is it possible to buy the little arm that clips on to the unit or am I looking at another unit (assuming on one is willing to sell it on eBay, scrappers etc)?

Oh man... How much pressure you put on that ? You just slide the end of the cable and screw the clip back to hold it. :(

I can't find that part as separate for GP (although there is separate part number for Bravo)
You can ask in a FIAT dealer maybe?

Or...glue the piece back?

It was only a slight amount just as I was sliding the unit forward and it went! Gutted. Tried asking scrapers if they will sell me that piece only but they will only sell the complete unit!

Any idea if the Bravo one will for the GP?

I don't think it's compatible.

I found the serial number of the part (but it's set with cables and knobs?)
serial: 77365092 named as kit_air-condition

It's expensive though and I don't think you can find it at scrapers etc. (fiat Italy price is ~30euros!!)

Maybe someone on the forum wants the unit you have? :/

Last edited:
Such a shame! It's only a little bit of plastic. Never mind. I have ordered some Gorilla Glue so I will try that today, failing that, I will just have to buy a new unit.

Re: Plumes of Smoke in Cabin on Startup *** RESOLVED ***

Just a final update. Ordered a new unit which arrived today. Fitted it and everything is spot on. Thanks for everyone's help!

Just for reference, this is what the old piece looked like:

Last edited:
Back