Technical Leak from exhaust (front join) and smoke at startup

Currently reading:
Technical Leak from exhaust (front join) and smoke at startup

[Grande Punto 1.4 Petrol 8v 2009]

I've just replaced the coolant pipe on the car, flushed through water until clear and topped up with water (to test for leaks).

A minute after starting the car I can see smoke coming off the top off the cat and there's a bit of a burning smell. Underneath, no leaks from coolant pipes but there's a drip of oil coming from the first join of the exhuast after the cat. I can't see any evidence of a drip from above. There are dark patches but no sign of a drip/leak around the head gasket or oil cap. Oil filter and sump are clean.

I also recently did an oil and filter change and have only started the car up a few times since. I didn't notice this before I did the coolant pipe but it's possible I missed it - I still had the heat shield on then.

Any ideas what might cause this?

exhaust join leak68.jpg

If it is still coming from that area several days after your work and not just burning off old residue, then you may need to replace the conical fibre ring that seals the exhaust joint there and check for distortion on the flanges.Maybe fit new bolts and nuts etc.
The reason for a conical sealing ring is it allows better alignment, but they can deteriorate.
By the way the area of the joint looks a bit corroded so if you disturb it you may end up replacing a lot more of the exhaust, so I would check if the fault clears or is minimal only on starting before getting heavily involved.

I had another look today. I left it running for a bit longer and the "smoke" cleared after a few minutes. It was pretty minimal, just a little white (probably) vapour so maybe just moisture.

The leak from the exhaust also seems to stop after a few minutes. Just a few drips in that time too, so doesn't seem serious.

I caught it on video, bubbling away:

Based on your advice, I'll leave it alone. I'll mention it to the garage when it goes for the MOT in a couple of months.

Back