Technical PLEASE HELP!! Rear wheels is it dangerous/fixable?

Currently reading:
Technical PLEASE HELP!! Rear wheels is it dangerous/fixable?

You may not be able tsee because of the way im parked but in person you can see it, even when i was driving home, my wife in the car behind said, the wheels look a little bent.

I've been on edge ever since, just driven 23 miles, and bumps are getting quite 'stiff' when going over potholes/speed bumps.

Dave

I know nothing about cars which is why I love this forum but even I know that if you have a low profile tyre on an alloy wheel on one side and the Fiat spare on the other then its going to throw everything off balance. You are also not supposed to go over 50mph on the spare, its intended to be a purely temporary measure. Add rain and ice to that mix and you are looking for trouble.

As far as not knowing how to change a wheel, I am a 47 year old mother of three and even I can change a wheel LOL. So in answer to your question 'Rear wheels is it dangerous/fixable?' If you are driving around on odd wheels I would say YES its dangerous with or without the other possible issues mentioned here.

- Had it to a garage, he SEEMS to recon it's the rear axle bushes, but he said it may be better to replace the whole axle?

Will this definatley cure my wheels that are slightly bent out? As i guess if i replace the whole thing, it may prevent any other problems in the near future relating to the Axel?

Are they expensive to be fitted?

Dave.(n)

I found a secondhand axel for £85.00! But it's the fitting thats going to set me back i think!!

So i may take the bushes into consideration, but if i have them done will my wheels be straight again? Or will i need to have it Laser aligned aswell?

Dave.:idea:

- Had it to a garage, he SEEMS to recon it's the rear axle bushes, but he said it may be better to replace the whole axle?

Will this definatley cure my wheels that are slightly bent out? As i guess if i replace the whole thing, it may prevent any other problems in the near future relating to the Axel?

Dave.(n)

Nobody can answer this question without examining your car.

Are they expensive to be fitted?

Dave.(n)

Fiat quoted labour time to fit a new axle is 2.25 hours.

I found a secondhand axel for £85.00! But it's the fitting thats going to set me back i think!!
Dave.:idea:

If you get a secondhand axle, it's likely to need the bushes replacing in it anyway.

I found a secondhand axel for £85.00!

You already have a second hand axle. The axles are quite tough, only a very heavy impact would bend/distort them. Most likely its springs, bearings bushes etc thats causing your problem.
You'll probabely have to replace bushes, bearings etc no matter which axle you decide to use. So why not use your own and use the money you saved to buy yourself new bushes, bearing etc?

PUT THE REAR ALLOY BACK ON FIRST BEFORE YOU START THROWING MONEY AT NON-EXSISTANT PROBLEMS. (y)

Last edited:
Hello,

Just had the Alloy put back on, and 4 brand new tyres, thats made the stability NEARLY back to normal, still feels a little 'bangy/shakey' on potholes/uneven roads, but its improved the handling.

However, the passanger side wheel is still SLIGHTLY out of line with the other one, Been told it may be a radius arm?

If it was a wheel bearing/spring surley it would give some sign, or i'd be able to hear it? Would 'very worn' bushes cause the wheel to be slightly:) out of line?

Thanks!!

Dave.

Back