Technical PLEASE HELP!! Rear wheels is it dangerous/fixable?

Currently reading:
Technical PLEASE HELP!! Rear wheels is it dangerous/fixable?

mellelieu

Please bear with me as i am new to this forum.

A couple of weeks ago, i bought a 53 please Fiat Stilo Active Aircon 16v, everything was fine, until i was walking back to my car in sainsburys car park and noticed my rear wheels was offset!!

My tyres are wearing down on the edges, one wheel is slightly more bent out at the bottom than the other one.

Its not banging/knocking, but when i go over potholes/bumpy roads it feels as if the cars sliding???

Anyway, have you any idea's on what it could be, or how to get it fixed and is it safe to drive it as it is?

All responses will be helpfull!!! Thanks!!!

David :)

Sounds like the rear bushes have gone as they do make the rear end feel very loose when they are badly warn.
Trouble is you say you don't hear any knocking. :chin:

If it is the rear bushes, how much will it set me back to have them replaced, and will my wheels be straight again?

Im frightend of going out in it, incashe the wheels drop off!!!

David.

If it is the rear bushes, how much will it set me back to have them replaced, and will my wheels be straight again?

Im frightend of going out in it, incashe the wheels drop off!!!

David.

Don't worry, even if your rear bushes have gone, your wheels won't fall off! The bushes are held on by large bolts. The only symptom of failure is (usually) clonking noises.

They contain a fluid so you can normally check visually but as yours seem badly worn I would guess all the fluid is long gone so you'll see no leaking.
Best to get them checked and replaced.
Fiat will sell you the bushes for about £30 each and fitting them yourself is possible. Check this thread out, post 117.
https://www.fiatforum.com/stilo/248971-franklin-tools-stilo-rear-bushes-8.html

Anychance of you taking a photo so we can see just how bad the rear wheel is?

:yeahthat:

But most people dont notice anything is wrong untill the knocking starts which is usually after all the fluid has been lost. 70 to 80 mph on a motorway the rear end feels loose with occasional knocking. As they become more worn the loose feeling at the rear is felt at lower and lower speeds accompanied by heavier knocking.

- I'll get some photo's done tonight, and i bet i cannot find out how to upload them!!

So even though my wheels are wonky at the back it's still safe to drive?

As for fitting them myself, you have no chance, i can't even change a tyre!! LOL

Thanks for all the reply's :)

Dave.

Depends what you mean by "wonky". If "one wheel is slightly more bent out at the bottom than the other one" as you say in your OP, I'm inclined to doubt it's the axle bushes.

Possibly loose wheel bolts but that would make a clattering noise..... Worn wheel bearing, but that's likely to make a whinning or rumbling noise or loose hub nut.

First thing you need to do is check the wheel bolts for tightness, if they're OK then jack the rear wheels up to check for play.

Until you know what the problem is, the car is potentially not safe to drive.

Ok.... time for an update, just been out, jacked car up, checked the wheels for play, NOTHING! checked wheels were nice and tight... NOTHING! Drove it round the block, drives fine no knocks, bangs, noises, but the rear end feels very loose.

If i go on a bumpy road, it feels like the back of the car is sliding about a little, I've bounced the rear of the car, no noises, the passanger side wheel (has the spare placed on at the moment) seems slightly more 'out' than the other one.

Not that i think it makes any diffrence but my car has alloys, with low profile tyres, but it's eating the tyres!! They seem to be wearing down on the edge where its the wheel slanted.

Anyway... Hope someone can help, i hope it isn't going to be costly!!

David.

Just thaught i'd add, in the past 1,000 miles, it has got slightly worse (the wheels out of line).

Just cannot understand what the problem is!!

Stilo rear axle bushes have always been oil filled. First sign of them failing is usually oil leaking from them.

Several other manufacturers use the same idea too.

Oh right, thanks for that and appoligise to shadeyman. Mine must have been completely gone when changed last year then although it didn't affect the ride from what I could tell.

sounds like you need to get your alignment checked and adjusted. Cost should be about £80ish

I don't see how misalignment would make the wheel "more bent out at the bottom".

To check the rear bushes, use a bar or long screwdriver between the outside of the bush housing and the mounting bracket (arrowed below) and also between the front of the housing and the bracket to check for play. (not with the bolt loose as in the diagram)

Another possibility could be a bent wheel or the end of the axle housing bent if the wheel has been kerbed.

Attachments

• Bush Housing.JPG
    Bush Housing.JPG
    253.3 KB · Views: 42
Ok...

Here are the photo's hopefully you can see what i mean with the wheels.

Thanks!!

Attachments

• Pic_0125_010.jpg
    Pic_0125_010.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 44
  • Pic_0125_011.jpg
    Pic_0125_011.jpg
    19 KB · Views: 32
  • Pic_0125_012.jpg
    Pic_0125_012.jpg
    24.4 KB · Views: 30
  • Pic_0125_013.jpg
    Pic_0125_013.jpg
    14.2 KB · Views: 27
  • Pic_0125_014.jpg
    Pic_0125_014.jpg
    17.5 KB · Views: 34
There is no camber or caster adjustment on the rear axle. Only up and down with different springs. It is rare that a wheel gets kerbed hard from the inside and out.

Try to jack up a bit and rotate the wheel. If the hub is bent, it won't rotate very good as the caliper piston (pads) will touch the brake disc on the same place every rotation. Does the wheel get hot during a drive?

M.

Back