General Please help me value my car?

Currently reading:
General Please help me value my car?

Lunaria

Hello,

Sorry for asking but I'm completely out of my depth when it comes to selling things at the best of times but selling my beloved Fiat 500 is turning into a huge stress.

I went and had a baby and my car has to go :(

The prices being offered based upon my reg are £5500 for a trade in or £6000 suggested for a private sale, but regardless of the money in my pocket it really doesn't seem to do my car justice.

It's a 1.2 lounge, was registered 2010, has 20,000 miles and a full service history.

It's raggamuffin red, chrome trim, sunroof, black leather interior, privacy glass and my husband said it's got an improved sound system but I don't know about that. I think I got nice alloys too.

I love it so...

It's in amazing condition minus a small scuff on one of the privacy glass windows but i never notice it and I'm a bit OCD about things like that.

Please can someone suggest how much I could ask for and still get a relatively quick sale?

It'd be much appreciated.

Thanks xx

Hello,

Sorry for asking but I'm completely out of my depth when it comes to selling things at the best of times but selling my beloved Fiat 500 is turning into a huge stress.

I went and had a baby and my car has to go :(

The prices being offered based upon my reg are £5500 for a trade in or £6000 suggested for a private sale, but regardless of the money in my pocket it really doesn't seem to do my car justice.

It's a 1.2 lounge, was registered 2010, has 20,000 miles and a full service history.

It's raggamuffin red, chrome trim, sunroof, black leather interior, privacy glass and my husband said it's got an improved sound system but I don't know about that. I think I got nice alloys too.

I love it so...

It's in amazing condition minus a small scuff on one of the privacy glass windows but i never notice it and I'm a bit OCD about things like that.

Please can someone suggest how much I could ask for and still get a relatively quick sale?

It'd be much appreciated.

Thanks xx

£6000 for a private sale on a top notch well equipped 4yr old 1.2 lounge isn't far off the mark & I wouldn't want to advertise it for much more than that if you want a quick sale.

Low mileage and some expensive options will certainly help to sell it, but I doubt they'll add much to its value.

At least be grateful that 500 residual values have held up strongly - there are many cars you could have bought new in 2010 for similar money that would struggle to make £4000 in a private sale today.

Whatever you decide to do, good luck with the sale, and more importantly, good luck with your new baby.

Last edited:
Does the car really have to go? Lady at work has a 500 and so does her daughter, daughter has a newbies and a toddler.....

I went and had a baby and my car has to go
frown.gif

I have never heard anyone say that about having a baby.

Do you have any idea what OCD means? Me reckons you are taking the pee.

Thanks for the replies.

I kind of feel that my reg doesn't reflect all the extras and imagine someone would pay the same for the standard version, but I guess that happens.

It's no good getting the little one in and our of the car in her car seat and my pram literally won't fit in the boot unless I take all the wheels off. Hopefully more babies to come so it'll be a long time before driving my 500 would be more convenient than driving my husbands car and we're starting to have to wrestle for who uses it.

Looking at a Ford B-Max and all it's crappy colours and interiors :(

Thanks for stating the obvious wellfan, great contribution.

I love it so...

The prices quoted there are about right for a P/X and a quick sale- a quick poke round Autotrader should show you that.

My sport was PX'd for a little less than that P/X and is currently sat on their forecourt for much more (as you will probably see some are on Autotrader too)- clearly the dealer it went to (not the one I bought my new car from) puts them on high and either hopes someone with more money than sense buys it*, keeps it high for a few weeks on the offchance someone buys it, or leaves a lot of room for discounting. And that's including a 6 month warranty, fresh service and MOT plus potential comeback on a trade seller and the fact that sports seem to hold their value better.

If you want it gone quick, advertise it for £6250 and take £6000 (or possibly less). Personally I'd just P/X it** and avoid the inevitable arsing around with a private sale when you've got a new baby for an extra few hundred quid, but that's me. Forget WBAC.

On a side note, I was offered 6k P/X at 3 years old.

50% (I guess, give or take) residual over 4 years on yours is pretty good.

*At the end of the day, it's a 4.5 year old not-that-great car. I bought it new (with scrappage) for less than a grand more than it's now up for.

**Try and haggle for a discount if they want the 500- but I bet you won't get very far.

Last edited:
I agree with zanes. You have to be realistic about what the car is actually worth in the real market, not what you think it is worth even with the 'extras'.

I traded our own 3 year old 1.2 POP in end last November and got just under £6k on the PX against a pre-reg TA. The trade in price advertised everywhere, was £5450 on the old POP, so to get what I got, I was pleased with. The thing is, the dealer then shoved our old POP on their forecourt for £7400, which is almost exactly what I had paid for it 2.5 years previously when I bought it as a nearly new car. I'd already had that conversation with the dealer when we were negotiating the deal, I knew instinctively they would shove at least £1.5k on the price they paid me for it. At the end of the day, the dealer is a business and they're there to make a profit. I would hope that whoever bought it our old POP, didn't pay the screen price, because to be honest, it wasn't worth that much money.

The only 'dangers' with selling privately, are some of the people that turn up at your door, or who are there clearly to try and rip you off. I hate tyre kickers and idiots who are there to take the urine, plus there's the hassle of ensuring you get paid etc. Whatever you decide, I wish you the best.

I would have thought the Ragamuffin red paint might have pushed the trade in up a little. Maybe it would if you were going for another Fiat. It's a colour that is now available on the Abarth and they want over £700 for it.
There are a couple of 2011 Ragamuffin lounges on Autotrader for £7580 and
£ 8494. I'd expect about 6k trade in, but generally I find you never get what you hope for, but I've also found that it can vary massively from dealer to dealer.

I'd already had that conversation with the dealer when we were negotiating the deal, I knew instinctively they would shove at least £1.5k on the price they paid me for it. At the end of the day, the dealer is a business and they're there to make a profit. I would hope that whoever bought it our old POP, didn't pay the screen price, because to be honest, it wasn't worth that much money.

Pretty much what I figured with mine- I reckoned the Suzuki dealer (who doesn't usually sell their non-suzuki P/Xs due to space (and knowledge/support?) issues) would want to clear at least £500 on the P/X to make it worth their time (and from what I was told they were basically planning to "auction" it between the dealers they shift P/Xs to so they might well have cleared much more); then the dealer who's going to sell it needs to valet, service, MOT, warranty it, have it sat there for however long etc. so they'd want upwards of £1.5k in it for them.

As it is, it's up for £2.5k more than I P/X'd it for. Some people might be pissed at that, but I would never have sold it for that money (or anywhere near that, and I doubt they will either) and it needed to go quickly. I might have cleared just over £6k privately on mine, but I doubt it. I would realistically have had to have mine serviced/MOT'd, probably a few marks touched up (ooer Matron!) and then dealt with the hassle and idiots.

Welcome to secondhand car selling ;)

Edit: In fact, it's closer to £600 less than I bought it for new. Bloomin' 'eck!

Last edited:
I would hope that whoever bought it our old POP, didn't pay the screen price, because to be honest, it wasn't worth that much money.

when you buy a car from a dealer (if they are a good one) you are not just paying for the car but also the piece of mind that if it develops a fault they fix it.
so they don't get any come backs they will also get their tech to go over it and check every thing, that cost min the techs wage.

when you buy a car from a dealer (if they are a good one) you are not just paying for the car but also the piece of mind that if it develops a fault they fix it.
so they don't get any come backs they will also get their tech to go over it and check every thing, that cost min the techs wage.

When I picked up our new TA from the Fiat dealer, yes, the pre-reg one they sold for 4k less than the original list price, in anticipation of the 150 mile drive back home and from previous experience, I took a digital tyre gauge and a foot pump with me. Good job too, because the tyres were all 8psi down on what they should have been and I was pumping them up on the forecourt. I couldn't actually be arsed to go in and speak to them to tell them, because as I was never going to go back to them again, I couldn't be bothered.

My point is, if they are going to stick a price on the screen in the hope that the customer will pay it and give them that 'peace of mind' factor, they should make the effort to make sure the product is the best it can be. If the 'Tech' had bothered their backside to look at our car before it was handed over, they could have at least ensured the tyres were the correct pressure.

Anyway I stand by my previous post, our old POP was not worth the money the dealership put it up for, it was just a blatant attempt at dealer profiteering, but as I said earlier, they're not charities, they're businesses.

Last edited:
a car can be on the forecourt for months after the tech has done all the checks

Don't you think I don't know that? The point is, if as a main dealer you are handing over a new car to a customer that is doing a three hundred mile round trip, you could at least do basic safety checks on the car before the customer drives off!

Don't you think I don't know that? The point is, if as a main dealer you are handing over a new car to a customer that is doing a three hundred mile round trip, you could at least do basic safety checks on the car before the customer drives off!

but you seemed to blame the tech, :confused: he isnt to know if the car is even still there the next day.
also i did say in my original post if they are a good one

but you seemed to blame the tech, :confused: he isnt to know if the car is even still there the next day.
also i did say in my original post if they are a good one

You know exactly the point I am making. The car should have been checked the morning I picked it up for basic safety checks and tyres fall into that category. As the dealership had a full four days to carry out a full set of checks before I picked up the car, there really was no excuse. This should have been belt and braces stuff for any main dealership. :bang:

Back