Please help - accident on a roundabout

Currently reading:
Please help - accident on a roundabout

Hi,

Mrs has had an accident today.

This should be short as what happened is really simple.

She was going straight ahead at a roundabout, right hand lane. (this is for either straight ahead or right). Whilst on the roundabout, a woman pulled out from the left and straight infront of her.

As a result, she hit her drivers side door and boom, accident.

Seems simple, give way to the right. But with a woman who could barely speak English, it got complicated and she is now denying fault.

So can anyone advise? In my understanding, you should always wait until it is 100% clear before even considering pulling out.

Could she justify her pulling out?

Mrs is the red line:

Attachments

• Capture.jpg
    Capture.jpg
    109.2 KB · Views: 69
as she punted her in the door she should be ok.,

need to go with the use of the RAB in the HWC when you fill in the form..

When reaching the roundabout you should

give priority to traffic approaching from your right, unless directed otherwise by signs, road markings or traffic lights
check whether road markings allow you to enter the roundabout without giving way. If so, proceed, but still look to the right before joining
watch out for all other road users already on the roundabout; be aware they may not be signalling correctly or at all
look forward before moving off to make sure traffic in front has moved off.

however expect it to go 50:50

that said I did a lovely set of diagrams when my sister had a old woman fail to give way to her on a RAB (the one you'd have gone over when you came to goole then went towards that blue bridge)

dont overcomplicate the statement ....

I Was driving across the roundabout from entry point A (google maps pic)

heading for exit C (mark intended path)

when vehicle entered RAB from entry B (at speed?) driver failed to abide by the give way lines on the entry point (see photo 1) Photo her view point make sure it shows give way lines and a nice clear view of the rab to the right ideally photo her approach showing RAB warning signs
failed to give way to me (rule 185 HWC ) i was already on the roundabout to her right (in the correct lane and signalling?) Despite attempting to taking evasive action (braking / attempting to swerve / flashing headlights/ horn? ) she drove across my path and i collided with the third party's drivers side door

include photos from the scene get up there in day light and take photos from all aspects...

as she punted her in the door she should be ok.,

need to go with the use of the RAB in the HWC when you fill in the form..

When reaching the roundabout you should

give priority to traffic approaching from your right, unless directed otherwise by signs, road markings or traffic lights
check whether road markings allow you to enter the roundabout without giving way. If so, proceed, but still look to the right before joining
watch out for all other road users already on the roundabout; be aware they may not be signalling correctly or at all
look forward before moving off to make sure traffic in front has moved off.

however expect it to go 50:50

that said I did a lovely set of diagrams when my sister had a old woman fail to give way to her on a RAB (the one you'd have gone over when you came to goole then went towards that blue bridge)

dont overcomplicate the statement ....

I Was driving across the roundabout from entry point A (google maps pic)

heading for exit C (mark intended path)

when vehicle entered RAB from entry B (at speed?) driver failed to abide by the give way lines on the entry point (see photo 1) Photo her view point make sure it shows give way lines and a nice clear view of the rab to the right ideally photo her approach showing RAB warning signs
failed to give way to me (rule 185 HWC ) i was already on the roundabout to her right (in the correct lane and signalling?) Despite attempting to taking evasive action (braking / attempting to swerve / flashing headlights/ horn? ) she drove across my path and i collided with the third party's drivers side door

include photos from the scene get up there in day light and take photos from all aspects...

Youre an absolute star Andy. Really do appreciate that. Funnily enough, the woman was waving the HWC around, shame she hadn't read it. She might even pull the race card, who knows, hopefully not...

Just spoken with her and she said the insurances' legal team have checked on google maps and have made it clear there are no give way markings on the roundabout, despite being a roundabout. I've noticed this actually as I use it daily, but still, rule 185 remains...surely?

May go 50/50 though, which is barely satisfying as she drove onto a populated roundabout.

its only paint on the road is there a sign on here approach of a roundabout be it a direction sign or a warning

sign_5.jpg

images

if her legal team said that word for word get them to send you it in writing to forward to your insurance company... the roundabout has no markings... its still a roundabout

get her to speak to her insurance company legal team .. or if she is in the RAC or AA they offer help too free

Last edited:
what does the sign say at the top :devil:

Exactly mate. How can this even be 50/50? But still the other woman is denying fault. We'll see what happens. But so far, my mrs took pictures of her car and got all details. The other woman failed to take any pictures at all. Maybe this will help?

I hate cases like this. What happened to good old honesty ;)

Exactly mate. How can this even be 50/50? But still the other woman is denying fault. We'll see what happens. But so far, my mrs took pictures of her car and got all details. The other woman failed to take any pictures at all. Maybe this will help?

I hate cases like this. What happened to good old honesty ;)

buy her a in car camera :devil:

you should be ok with this but be prepared to fight..

Whilst other woman should give way when entering roundabout, she has apparently travelled some distance before your wife has hit her in the side. Other's insurance company may argue that your wife should have seen her, and other was apparently ahead of you. If other party was entering without looking, from the pic, you might expect her to hit you in the side.
Let the insurance companies argue, but advise yours not to accept any result other than full payment from the other party, unless they agree with you first. At least then you have a chance to discuss with them.

There are marks across the end of the lane as it enters the roundabout - quite faded - but still...
On streetview they are almost non-existant but on best zoom, the marks are clearer.
When I had my prang, I was fortunate that there was a faint line 'just' visible on the cam footage & the other car was clearly going over it. Using google earth, the lines were VERY visible (thank God for out of date pics!) which made my claim so much easier.

If you take loads of pics now & compare them to google images, use whatever gives you best advantage & put in as many pictures and video footage as you can.

I not only submitted footage of the actual accident, I also drove the route a few times, taking the different lines (as indicated on google earth, before they faded) - and was fortunate that other drivers using it at the same time also took the official routes - this all helped my case.
Remember, you are fighting for 100% blame on the other driver so you need to give this 100% concentration.

Right, there is a sign showing a roundabout. No give way lines. Nothing in writing, only notes Andy. Here it is:

https://www.google.com/maps?f=q&sou...3.429603,-1.366621&spn=0.000006,0.007317&z=18

On streetview there is a full line plus a slightly faded line. Zoom out and the view from above shows a few more lines.
However, very faded lines do not give anyone the excuse to simply blat across onto a roundabout in front of others, you still have to follow the basic rules of the road, they are there for a reason & this collision has happened because the other driver completely ignored the rules and advice given in the highway code.

Also, noting rule 185, don't forget

In all cases watch out for and give plenty of room to...
  • traffic crossing in front of you on the roundabout, especially vehicles intending to leave by the next exit
When you submit your insurance claim, make sure you include all this text - and that your OH was indicating her intention to leave at the next exit the second she passed this exit.

Also bear in mind this other woman & her insurance company are going to be as devious as they possibly can be - those in the wrong always shout the loudest & tell most lies to try to deflect blame.

On streetview there is a full line plus a slightly faded line. Zoom out and the view from above shows a few more lines.
However, very faded lines do not give anyone the excuse to simply blat across onto a roundabout in front of others, you still have to follow the basic rules of the road, they are there for a reason & this collision has happened because the other driver completely ignored the rules and advice given in the highway code.

Also, noting rule 185, don't forget

In all cases watch out for and give plenty of room to...
  • traffic crossing in front of you on the roundabout, especially vehicles intending to leave by the next exit
When you submit your insurance claim, make sure you include all this text - and that your OH was indicating her intention to leave at the next exit the second she passed this exit.

Also bear in mind this other woman & her insurance company are going to be as devious as they possibly can be - those in the wrong always shout the loudest & tell most lies to try to deflect blame.

Thank you. She's taking note of this as I speak and will be speaking to her claims handler about it. (She now has a personal claims handler as part of her insurance).

This is much appreciated. When you think you've thought of everything, little gems like this appear...so we do appreciate any help. And when I say 'gems', I don't mean so we can evade wrong doing, but to prove what happened. Thanks! :)

I was involved in an accident on a mini-roundabout some years ago.
The insurance companies were only interested in who was on the roundabout 1st. I was so I had right of way.

Pretty much same situation as me, i was going straight ahead and a woman pulled out onto the round about and I hit her drivers door. She was liable and all claims paid by her insurance.

Back