Plain boot build ideas? (need spare wheel access!)

Currently reading:
Plain boot build ideas? (need spare wheel access!)

Hope you get that amp sorted soon so you can get some bass in your car, it's an awsome sub, still amazes people who've gone to Halfrauds and spent a fortune on gear for their car, and it isn't half as loud! Seems a bit strange having all my mates in Punto's and Fiestas and so forth with me in a Doblo blasting music :D

Keep the pics coming of the build too can't wait to see it in the flesh :)

MrDT said:
Yeah, i read your thread a while ago, shame you never finished :(

Fitting the replacement amp is a wee bit more complicated than i first hoped. the speaker wire isn't very long, so i think i'm going to have to splice the existing wires with the new ones, been waiting for a reply off mr ebay as to whether or not this will affect my warranty though. I shouldn't think so, and I have loads of ofc speaker cable I could use to replace the cut cables, so weather permitting i'll have a go later :)

As soon as i have the sub working i might consider improving the very basic build i currently have! :cool:

(on an unrelated note, i really love my car. getting £228 for travelling expenses this month, though there's no chance i've spent over £50 on petrol :D i know it covers wear and tear too, but 400% plus is pretty cool :cool: and it'll be a lot more next week hopefully!!)

hi there, I have one of the FLI trap subs, which I wired a different amp to - the one in the fli trap originally didn't work, so I unbolted the amp and wired it to my old Mutant amp. The length of the wire doesn't matter too much as the wire has normal speaker connectors to attach it to the sub (you can just put new ones on a longer piece of wire...

I do have another fli trap amp which I just haven't got round to fitting in the box yet lol, will do that when I have a free hour or 2 and re-arrange my boot.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRGHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!! :bang: :bang: :bang:

Wasted my entire lunch hour fitting the new amplifier unit. Still no joy. (n)

The ONLY problems that I can possibly think of now are either:
a) The subwoofer itself is fubared
b) The connection at the speaker end is dodgy

I'll be removing the speaker tonight to have a look. I just can't work out what's wrong and it's doing my head in :( :( :cry:

MrDT said:
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRGHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!! :bang: :bang: :bang:

Wasted my entire lunch hour fitting the new amplifier unit. Still no joy. (n)

The ONLY problems that I can possibly think of now are either:
a) The subwoofer itself is fubared
b) The connection at the speaker end is dodgy

I'll be removing the speaker tonight to have a look. I just can't work out what's wrong and it's doing my head in :( :( :cry:

is the light coming on on the amplifier? if so what colour?

CinquePunto said:
is the light coming on on the amplifier? if so what colour?

yeah the light comes on blue. the amp is fine.

the problem is definately the speaker. checked the voltages at the amp output and it was ok. removed the speaker, connection was good. gave the speaker a good prod from the inside and it burst into life for all of 2 seconds.

probably a connection inside the speaker (voice coil?) is dodgy. reckon it might have been hammered by a previous owner, though the ebay ad stated it was brand new never been used minus packaging.

need to get back to the seller and ask for either a replacement speaker, or if it's easier a replacement enclosure. i'm actually considering asking for a refund and just spend the extra moolah on a brand new unit. i'm losing my faith in second hand equipment fast :(

I had mine in packaging, and there was only a small mark on it. Works fine. It's just a shame, I would ask for a replacement and just tell him that if this one don't work you'll want a refund.

Hope it gets sorted soon :)

Ozzie1989 said:
I had mine in packaging, and there was only a small mark on it. Works fine. It's just a shame, I would ask for a replacement and just tell him that if this one don't work you'll want a refund.

Hope it gets sorted soon :)

MrDT said to the ebay seller said:
the problem is definately the speaker. checked the voltages at the amp output and it was ok. removed the speaker, connection was good. gave the speaker a good prod from the inside and it burst into life for all of 2 seconds.

probably a connection inside the speaker (voice coil?) is dodgy. reckon it might have been hammered by a previous owner?

i don't know what would be easiest for you, a replacement speaker that i fit myself, a replacement enclosure that you can test before sending (if you have one that really hasn't been used before that'd be best as the ad stated it was brand new but the screwholes and strap marks suggest otherwise), or a straight refund and i put money towards that to buy one brand new from halfords or somewhere?

both amps seem to be working fine by the way, if you'd like to arrange pickup of one of them that'll be no problem :) and of course i can send the entire thing back if you'd prefer a simple refund.

thanks for all the time you've spent helping me out with this, i really appreciate it! hope to hear back from you soon,

cheers

sent that 4 days ago. no reply as of yet...

i put a new cd in the car yesterday, and it REALLY needs a subwoofer to sound even half decent :cry: payday soon, if i get a refund i dont mind paying the extra to buy brand new from halfords tbh. at least i can just walk in and get a replacement there!

the auction ended "21-Apr-06 14:07:05 BST". well over a month. man this sucks.

Ozzie1989 said:
Yeah he does seem to take his time. If you do get a refund, don't bother going to Halfrauds :p get it off the net it's cheaper, I'll have a look for you after but theres a site that sells them for £110 brand new, I think it's www.caraudiodirect.co.uk.

Let us know how you get on :)

we just started stocking the Fli Twin 10" very cool, think about the 12" but double sided and with 10's in each end :D

sounds pretty cool aswell.... this isn't a lot of help is it...

Ozzie1989 said:
Yeah he does seem to take his time. If you do get a refund, don't bother going to Halfrauds :p get it off the net it's cheaper, I'll have a look for you after but theres a site that sells them for £110 brand new, I think it's www.caraudiodirect.co.uk.

Let us know how you get on :)

£130 plus about £10 p+p from caraudiodirect. halfords at £150. that extra tenner means much easier aftersales if required ie i can just walk in and say its busted and demand a replacement. could save a lot of time and money...

halfords had them at £99.99 a while back, but i missed the boat :(

still waiting on a reply from no1_icedog :bang:

Our store has never stocked the active Fli 12's only the un-amplified Fli Twin 10 as OXCiD3 says. Strange how you have them in you're local store. Unless were just late having them as usual :p

Ozzie1989 said:
Our store has never stocked the active Fli 12's only the un-amplified Fli Twin 10 as OXCiD3 says. Strange how you have them in you're local store. Unless were just late having them as usual :p

were so backwards, we've had the 12" for ages and not the 10's till last week, oh yeah i forgot to say, no amp :p

you seen the new vibes... *creams pants*

OXCiD3 said:
you seen the new vibes... *creams pants*

if the Vibes make you do that, I ain't got a clue what you'd do if you saw the 2006 XXX :eek:

chaos said:
And that, my friends, is a sub :devil: :yum:

oh well, my replacement piddly 'toy' sub should arrive in the next couple days :p

hopefully this will be an end to it lol!

i have to admit, other than being a little bit slow i can't really fault the ebay seller! he has amazing aftersales service, and is geniuinely helpful. as soon as he reads the email he gets back to you, and delivers stuff real quick. just a shame he can go for days (weeks?) without checking his inbox!

time to start on a build as opposed to a bare fake floor i think :) does anyone else have trouble convincing their better halves that messing around in the boot is a worthy way of spending your time and money bythe way? :eek:

Here's what I meant by those Anderson Connectors, now I've got round to fitting them, nice fit too feel really solid and work really well. Just used a standard bullet connector for the remote lead as there is little current :) and the RCA leads will pull out obviously with no problems.

DSCF2871.JPG DSCF2872.JPG

Back