Phone problems help please

Currently reading:
Phone problems help please

Skintdadnow

Hi all new to this group. Yesterday purchased a fiat 500 lounge 2009 as first car for my daughter. It’s a cat d but only done 46k miles.

Obviously kids like mobile phones and my daughter isn’t any different. Tried connecting her mobile phone to Bluetooth and it connected. Dialled some numbers but and it rings the other person but we can’t hear them also we can’t seem to play music from her phone either. Has anyone else had this problem? I will be taking the stereo out and looking for a lose wire apart from that I can not see what the issue would be. But even when we try and play music from her phone through Bluetooth it just plays from her phone. It does have a windows media USB port but she has an iPhone 11 Pro max

Also has anyone had issues with the display displaying the temperature wrong as well?

Look forward to your answers and suggestions thank you

Sadly, the mobile phone world moves on at a fast pace, whereas the car, being 2009, is effectively still in the dark ages. Current vehicles which use Apple CarPlay or Android Auto are supposedly more future-proofed.
I have a 2015 Skoda Fabia. When I bought it, my phone paired well, although I only use it for calls and texts, so no idea about streaming - it has a radio! Later, a new phone would pair, but whilst I could receive calls, I could only dial from the phone, not the car. The phonebook would not download. It took a bit of work to identify a cause.
My car, as will yours, uses Bluetooth 1.3. My new phone (Android), uses as default, Bluetooth 1.4. So much for the cleverness of these people, the versions are not properly backwards compatible. Within Android, it was possible to dig deep into 'developer' mode, and change it to use 1.3. This gives me my phonebook in the car, and the ability to dial out using the car's screen, as well as receive calls. I've still no idea about music streaming, as I have no desire to use such a facility. (My entire music collection, about 15 CDs, is uncompressed, on an SD card, which the car unit reads well, at CD quality sound, not mp3 poorer quality. Dinosaur)
I also have no idea whether Apple phones can revert to the older Bluetooth version, but this might help find that path, or at least understand the issue. Does the car have an auxiliary port (jack plug socket)? But then, does the phone have any physical output?
There are devices that will take a Bluetooth output from a phone, and transmit it on an FM frequency. Tune the car radio into that frequency. Bit of a faff, but cheaper than a brand new car. (Is the phone worth more than the car? The car will last longer - bargain, tell her.)

Update: Here's one. https://www.halfords.com/technology...sound-bluetooth-to-fm-transmitter-756621.html
There are probably other solutions out there, but that is cheap, and probably easily obtained.

There's more:
Or better:

Last edited:
When dialling/on a call, turn the volume knob up (clockwise) and that should hopefully fix the issue with not being able to hear the other person. As for music, I've a Brera and Punto fitted with the Blue&Me system. The system doesn't stream music. You'll need a separate bluetooth adapter for that. I was also scratching my head at first also but after reading the manual, the USB port allows you to play music off of an MP3 or USB stick.

As for the temperature gauge, I assume you mean the ambient air temperature and not the engine temp. My Brera's temp gauge never dropped below 18C throughout winter. From what I've heard, it is quite common for them to go and a replacement or a clean usually does the trick. They are located in the wing mirror so not too difficult to replace.

Edit: I personally never had an issue with the ambient temp gauge having a mind of its own. Need to leave one thing broken on an Italian motor or another thing will break. ;)

Sadly, the mobile phone world moves on at a fast pace, whereas the car, being 2009, is effectively still in the dark ages. Current vehicles which use Apple CarPlay or Android Auto are supposedly more future-proofed.
I have a 2015 Skoda Fabia. When I bought it, my phone paired well, although I only use it for calls and texts, so no idea about streaming - it has a radio! Later, a new phone would pair, but whilst I could receive calls, I could only dial from the phone, not the car. The phonebook would not download. It took a bit of work to identify a cause.
My car, as will yours, uses Bluetooth 1.3. My new phone (Android), uses as default, Bluetooth 1.4. So much for the cleverness of these people, the versions are not properly backwards compatible. Within Android, it was possible to dig deep into 'developer' mode, and change it to use 1.3. This gives me my phonebook in the car, and the ability to dial out using the car's screen, as well as receive calls. I've still no idea about music streaming, as I have no desire to use such a facility. (My entire music collection, about 15 CDs, is uncompressed, on an SD card, which the car unit reads well, at CD quality sound, not mp3 poorer quality. Dinosaur)
I also have no idea whether Apple phones can revert to the older Bluetooth version, but this might help find that path, or at least understand the issue. Does the car have an auxiliary port (jack plug socket)? But then, does the phone have any physical output?
There are devices that will take a Bluetooth output from a phone, and transmit it on an FM frequency. Tune the car radio into that frequency. Bit of a faff, but cheaper than a brand new car. (Is the phone worth more than the car? The car will last longer - bargain, tell her.)

Update: Here's one. https://www.halfords.com/technology...sound-bluetooth-to-fm-transmitter-756621.html
There are probably other solutions out there, but that is cheap, and probably easily obtained.

There's more:
Or better:
Thank you very much for reply. For me it’s more just getting phone calls hands free and make up a load of lies about the music and let my daughter feel the pain we went through with virgin on am 1215 😂 but you’ve cemented my fears that these radios are still on the old Bluetooth where the iPhones are on 5.0. Oh well looks like Father Christmas will be putting a new stereo under the tree 😜 once again thanks for reply

When dialling/on a call, turn the volume knob up (clockwise) and that should hopefully fix the issue with not being able to hear the other person. As for music, I've a Brera and Punto fitted with the Blue&Me system. The system doesn't stream music. You'll need a separate bluetooth adapter for that. I was also scratching my head at first also but after reading the manual, the USB port allows you to play music off of an MP3 or USB stick.

As for the temperature gauge, I assume you mean the ambient air temperature and not the engine temp. My Brera's temp gauge never dropped below 18C throughout winter. From what I've heard, it is quite common for them to go and a replacement or a clean usually does the trick. They are located in the wing mirror so not too difficult to replace.

Edit: I personally never had an issue with the ambient temp gauge having a mind of its own. Need to leave one thing broken on an Italian motor or another thing will break. ;)
Hahaha I’m sure I tried the volume button but I will try again as sometimes we forget the simple fixes in life. Yes I was on about the ambient temp and I’ll have a look at getting another and I’ll also try a usb in the USB port for the music. Thanks for the reply

Back