Pay as you go motoring

Pay as you go motoring

• For it

Votes: 1 1.4%
  • Against it

Votes: 6 8.7%
  • Against it, with a vengence

Votes: 36 52.2%
  • Against it, Alistair Darling needs to sort out his eyebrows before tackling congestion problems

Votes: 26 37.7%

• Total voters
Hang on isn't it to replace fuel duty & road tax? If it is then might not be a bad idea, if it doesn't then someone in the government needs shooting for even suggesting it! :mad:

We already do pay as you go motoring. Its called tax on fuel. This is just another way of adding to the burden.

How the hell are they going to sort it? This will have a huge effect on companies. A lot of people will be unable to travel to work due to this.

A better idea would be for the government to reward companies who allow more people to work from home. Lets face it the majority of the traffic come at 8am and 5pm when peeps are going to and from work. Any other hold ups are due to a holiday period which can always be expected

(n) We already have the most expensive juice in the world.I think motorists are taxed enough as it is! :bang: If this goes ahead,may as well go back to the horse & cart. :eek: The whole thing is flawed,like if they charge
£1.30,for motorways,& 2p for country roads.Guess which roads people will use? :confused: So all the small villages will be full of traffic 24/7,& M/ways will be empty. :bang: :confused: good thinking Dtp eh? :bang: :confused: (n)

Against it, plus everything else will go up in price with it, i.e food because the haulage companies will be paying for using the roads so food will go up to cover the cost either way we can never win against our stupid goverment and there hair brain ideas

Last edited:
I commute Barnsley-Leeds every day, so that would basically make my job not worth having. That or I'd have to move to Leeds and ditch the car (not going to happen) I'm not saying it's a totally stupid idea, but its not like my job is worthless! I'm sick of losing so much of my pay as it is. I get NO benefits whatsoever because I just so happen to be a young, working, white working class male on less than 10K a year. I'm beginning to think that maybe expanding my interest in politics to the level of mailing some MPs could be in order.

It's just another way of twisting money out of me and I'm not happy about it in the slightest. The day our government stops allowing the money grabbing, benefit driven minority to take the mickey out of the law abiding tax paying majority is the day I respect them.

Its a chuffin' stupid idea :bang: Talk about a money grabbing government, it stinks & i'm leaving the country asap (& taking my punto with me!)
Tony Blair = :tosser:

Dead against!!!!!!
If they had an integrated transport policy, lots of park and ride schemes to encourage traffic to stay out of city centres, like Oxford, (and we all know how good that is!), or even if it was for the sake of emissions reduction, how about the USA then, I'd still be against it.
There are alternative fuels that we can all use in our cars, LPG, veg oil or electric but the incentives are never good enough because we know that once enough people use them, they'll tax them to b*ggery!

The next thing is the government are monitoring where everyone is using this so called system, they would also know how fast anyone was going at any given time on any given road. Just think of the money saved on speed cameras and mobile units nationally when a fine could be applied instantly. Talk about big brother.

The other issue I have here is the system of gps tracking. All it takes is a bit of low cloud and suddenly its satellite drop out and everyone is driving round for free.

The worrying thing is how are they going to make this work? It's already been pointed out on here that low cloud kills off gps, and any electrician/computer wiz could probably change the programming to read differently.

also, these gps systems are going to add bulk to our cars? where the hell are they going 2 fit it in a cinq/mini/axiom (bike engined rollersk8)?
what about vintage cars?
those that use 6 volt electrics?
Motorcycles, especially mopeds?

it would mean every vehicle in the eu being off the rd for a while whilst the fitters work out where they are going 2 fit it! And how are they going to know that the gps reading from you garage is where the car is? take off the reciever mount it on a battery trickle charger and it would tell them that U haven't left the house!!!

It'll never happen, not in our life time neway. it would cost 2 much 2 set up, nobody will pay for it with there own money, the gov would have 2 pay it!

Riot ne1?

Jon.

Did someone say riot? :p

Good point about the GPS thing... maybe we should all point that out? And as for the installation costs... bugger that!

Back