General particulate fluid replacement

Currently reading:
General particulate fluid replacement

Sorry added to my post while you replied.
Yes examiner would have to be reset but can't avoid that.
Would need to find a dealer who would do it without fuss.

My currents thoughts on it are:

We're just over 50,000 miles.
When the particle filter reports it's blocked I intend to remove it and try the caustic soda cleaning trick.
If that works great. When the low FAP fluid warning comes I'll add a couple of litres myself and live with the warning till I know the filter is ok.
I'll then pay and have the warning reset.
If that works for 10,000 more miles (approx 1 lire of FAP fluid) I'll add another 3 Litres and see what happens.

If the filter doesn't come good with a clean I will look at removing it and see if I can trick the pressure sensors into thinking it's there and ok.
I'll then let the FAP fluid run dry and just get the warning reset.
Basically I'll then be running the system without fluid or filter.

The question now is how long have I got till the FAP fluid or the filter give me a warning?

Mine is a 53reg Ulysse Eleganza with the 2.0 diesel engine.

I believe that 53reg was the switching period for the fluids. The older ones use the Eolys DPX42 and the newer ones use the Eolys DPX176.

I'm hoping mine is the older one as it has a fluid level sensor so will not need resetting like the newer ones which do not have the fluid level sensor and need to be manually reset.

Also systems using the DPX42 fluid need 4.5 ltrs and systems using the DPX176 fluid need 3 ltrs. Shows that there must be a big difference between the 2 systems.

I also thought mine was one of the lucky ones with no system fitted at all but I'm guessing not with "Engine Antipollution System Faulty" popping up on the screen all the time?

So.... with mine being registered as a 53 reg vehicle on the fluid changeover which would mine take? lol!

Also.... is there a great deal of difference between the 2 fluids? Can either be used or mixed?

Also, do I need to take it to a Fiat dealer to have the error messages read or can any garage do it? Any rough idea on a price for that?

I have covered about 4000 miles so far with the error message and engine management light on and have noticed NO difference to performance or MPG. I have noticed a little extra smoke though when heavy acceleration through the gears!

Help to all of the above would be most apprieciated!

Neil.

Last edited:
You really need to get temperature to 550-600oC to burn of the particulates.

If I clean the filter it will be oustide the car. I've read of peopel having good results with Caustic soda and disolving the soot that way.

Also I'm not clear how the exhaust temperature is raised?
If the FAP fluid is added to the fuel during filling up then how does that boost the exhaust temp for the regeneration (read burn off)
Or is the FAP fluid injected into the fuel or exhaust during regeneration.

Regeneration is by natural or artificial methods....one the car carries out itself the other is done by examiner.

Garages are not allowed to attempt to clean the filter in any other way because of potential damage.

That's ok I'm not a garage. If it cleans ok then fine if it falls to bits I go to plan B and remove it.

I've got to jack it up to sort the fornt discs out so will look then. If the two are combined it will complicate things.

Had the car in the air grinnding the lips off the front discs. Had a look at the FAP setup.
Can see the tank under the passenger seat and can see the cap to fill the tank so getting fluid in will be a toddle.
From what I can see the fuel from the fuel tank goes into the FAP tank then back out and there is an electical connection. So I imagine the ECU can control the FAP injection into the fuel line. It can then increase the FAP injection level to create the filter regeneration.
Also I looke dat the prossure sensing arrangement. there is a tube coming from before the filter/CAT assembly and one after. They feed up to a switch which I imagine will switch when there is a pressure difference of more than a certain amount.
So for anyone wanting to remove the filter there shouldn't be an issue. The ECU doesn't measure the pressure only that there is more before than after the filter by a certain level.
Still need to find out what FAP fluid I can use.
Will speak to my nearest dealer.

Our Ulysse started reporting diesel additive level low - so we went to Fiat servis , unfortunately they do not have any experience with this car(we directly imported ours). Bought the fluid at Peugeot - then wnt back to Fiat once again. Even after pouring in 2 lit. the computer still signaling warning.Can something go wrong with the engine?

I think it has to be linked to a computer where you manually tell it how many litres have been added. You then reset the error message at the same time. I think thats the jist of it?

No your missing the point. The computer only knows how much has been used since it was full. Adding more adative doesn't tell the computer there is more there. Fiat needs to tell the computer that via the examiner. Even if the computer thinks and warns your low. As long as fluid is in the tank it should still work. What type of FAP fluid did you get and how much was it?

Back