Parking fines

Currently reading:
Parking fines

Strictly speaking, it is an offence to park on any street unless marked with parking bays. There is an old law, regarding "obstructing the carriageway", intended to prevent people leaving their carriages in the way, presumably with attached horse(s). With the number of cars about now, this is ignored, unless a problem occurs, when it can be used.

I have seen reports (but can't find them now) of Fire Engines being unable to get along a street due to parked cars. All the cars involved are then prosecuted for obstructing the carriageway. A small fine, so it gets paid. The the insurance company hits the car owner with a civil suit for their contribution to the house repairs due to the delay. Can't argue as they've already pleaded guilty to obstructing the carriageway. Can be expensive. So wherever we leave our car, we must consider if a fire engine can get past.

Thought of the day: If you live in a terraced house, can you turn your front room into a garage?

Oh and fyi its not that I dont like it. I have respect for the rules lf the road. You dont seem to understand that I genuinely didnt realise it goverened the pavement. And I was asking for advice. It was all good untill you came along with your sarcastic comment. People had even said I was in the wrong before you came along.

Well guess what. You don't get to decide what rules or replies apply to you.
I will reply to any thread I damn well like.
Ignorance of the rules is no defence. You did sit a test?

Strictly speaking, it is an offence to park on any street unless marked with parking bays. There is an old law, regarding "obstructing the carriageway", intended to prevent people leaving their carriages in the way, presumably with attached horse(s). With the number of cars about now, this is ignored, unless a problem occurs, when it can be used.

I have seen reports (but can't find them now) of Fire Engines being unable to get along a street due to parked cars. All the cars involved are then prosecuted for obstructing the carriageway. A small fine, so it gets paid. The the insurance company hits the car owner with a civil suit for their contribution to the house repairs due to the delay. Can't argue as they've already pleaded guilty to obstructing the carriageway. Can be expensive. So wherever we leave our car, we must consider if a fire engine can get past.

Thought of the day: If you live in a terraced house, can you turn your front room into a garage?

http://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.c...fted-for-blocking-fire-engines-path-1-1315115

What people class as legitimate,legal and considerate parking never ceases to astound me.

Well guess what. You don't get to decide what rules or replies apply to you.
I will reply to any thread I damn well like.
Ignorance of the rules is no defence. You did sit a test?

No one said you cant reply. Just for your info iv submitted a report and a complaint against you and your attitude and threatening post.

I was parked on the brown bit, right at the edge so not near the corners edge.

That brown bit is within the visibility splay for the junction - parking there is not just inconsiderate, it's downright dangerous and could have contributed to a serious accident.

IMO your parking ticket was justifiably issued and you should consider yourself lucky this was dealt with by a decriminalised parking enforcement officer. If dealt with by the police, they would have been within their rights to have your car towed away for dangerous parking and deal with it as a criminal offence. That would have meant points on your licence as well as a fine.

Last edited:
That brown bit is within the visibility splay for the junction - parking there is not just inconsiderate, it's downright dangerous and could have contributed to a serious accident.

IMO your parking ticket was justifiably issued and you should consider yourself lucky this was dealt with by a decriminalised parking enforcement officer. If dealt with by the police, they would have been within their rights to have your car towed away for dangerous parking and deal with it as a criminal offence. That would have meant points on your licence as well as a fine.

Thankyou for you input. I know its not ok but I saw other people parking there so I did. Big mistake. Iv paid my fine anyways now. As I stated in previous posts I was asking for advice before I conducted my own research and asked citizens advice bureau. It wasnt for where I was parked it was more for the code they used which I didnt understand.

Thankyou for you input. I know its not ok but I saw other people parking there so I did. Big mistake. Iv paid my fine anyways now.

Good on you for accepting constructive input (y).

I only know a lot about visibility splays because I've been involved in a tricky planning situation recently. It's something that's being taken very seriously now - there is the potential for a nasty accident arising from someone pulling out of a side road with restricted sight lines into oncoming traffic; motorcycles are particularly vulnerable.

Good on you for accepting constructive input (y).

I only know a lot about visibility splays because I've been involved in a tricky planning situation recently. It's something that's being taken very seriously now - there is the potential for a nasty accident arising from someone pulling out of a side road with restricted sight lines into oncoming traffic; motorcycles are particularly vulnerable.

Just out of interest the road in question is a 1 way street, going from the main road in the picture. Would that still apply with junction visibility?

Just out of interest the road in question is a 1 way street, going from the main road in the picture. Would that still apply with junction visibility?

I honestly don't know; logic would suggest it makes the offence less serious, but it's still a breach of highway code rule 243 (which says no parking within 10m of a junction).

Think also about emergency access to the side road for, say, a large fire engine.

In fairness, it's easier to preach from a keyboard than to work it out in the dark at midnight when you're tired, all the nearby spaces are gone & you just want to get home.

Last edited:
I honestly don't know; logic would suggest it makes the offence less serious, but it's still a breach of highway code rule 243 (which says no parking within 10m of a junction).

Think also about emergency access to the side road for, say, a large fire engine.

In fairness, it's easier to preach from a keyboard than to work it out in the dark at midnight when you're tired, all the nearby spaces are gone & you just want to get home.

Fair enough its not like I'll be doing it again... 35quid sorted that!

OT i know and sorry about your ticket but complaining about "threatening" and "intimidating" posts in LL?? deary me!

Please fill out this appropriate form for me please

hurt-feelings-report.jpg

I await my telling off from the powers that be now

Last edited:
OT i know and sorry about your ticket but complaining about "threatening" and "intimidating" posts in LL?? deary me!

Please fill out this appropriate form for me please

hurt-feelings-report.jpg

I await my telling off from the powers that be now

I like this :D
I understand banter and the occasional joke but when a member is constantly talking like your stupid, verging on bullying other members and you know its not the first time that a member has done this something needs to be done. Then to go from "friendly" banter to threatining action from mods just cause he has 30k posts doesnt make it right.

It states "parked in a restricted street during prescribed hours". My street does have restrictions placed upon it but thwy only apply august to may (football season).

Do I have any grounds for appeal? Considering the restrictions and lack of parking?

double yellow lines are a restricted time limit see the plate that acompeies the double yellows...

010382.jpg

apeal based on the wording, if they gave you the ticket for parking where there is double yellow lines then you have to pay it but as they have written the wrong wording you should win the apeal

Chances are that wont work now... saw a documentary where some a hole in this stupid decriminalised parking regs (it goes to some appeals mediator) some one had some bright idea that so long as it was reasonable that a attempt was made to make it clear that no parking was allowed it would stand..... arguments such as there is no T end stop on a double yellow line or it was patched and not reinstated would no longer work as a defence.... as the rest of the line / time plate was there for example and it appears to set a precedent to them all, unless you have the time and the inclination to go to court with it..

Im sorry if I offended you, you who doesnt live in my street, you who doesnt park you car in my street, you who comes on here with a sarcastic comment, truth or not. You who doesnt understand the parking situation in my street. Have I covered everything? Just so you can keep your "im saying this so I get some sorta karma" attitude, I spoke with a person from the citizens advice bureau who said that an appeal would likely be successful based on the fact that parking is already an issue in my street. And there are preliminary plans on removing said bits of pavements to increase parking availability. That said the process would be lengthy and if the process got passed to nto (some sort of bailiffs I presume) I would still have to pay their costs.

All that in mind I went to my local council office, submitted a complaint along with pictures of the street at various times (12 midnight, 10pm, 6pm) which shows parking availability or lack of, and other road users useing pavement as an option to park. (Numberplates blanked out)

Oh and I payed the fine of 35 pounds.

So mr custard thankyou for your very informative and frankly amazing waste of 10seconds of my time in reading it and I hope all is well in your little perfect street :) ��

Well you parked on a raised curb........ arguments against this are that you could potentially cause a gas leak / power cut / damage water main.... there was this a few years ago locally and its still rumbling on..

http://paul-robinson-howdenshire.blogspot.co.uk/2008/09/eastrington-howden-residents-hit-with.html

cars are heavy pavments and curbs aren't designed to take the weight yada yada yada

because it makes it hard to see to make the turn there could be a kiddy crossing the road near the junction that you cant see as you turn in as cars near the junction obscure the view or queuing traffic on the one way street that you dont see turn right and block oncoming traffic

Last edited:
yeh well theres always a fatty that eats more than there share.....

There is a village near us with a large business attached that moved in..... all the residents moaned about parking problems..... so the council kindly offered to help by forging a residents only parking system with permits...... :worship:

then levvied a £35 a year charge after the first "free year" which caused uproar

Double yellows no longer need the "at any time" plate.
Plate only now used for single yellows, to give the hours of operation.
Some old signs not removed from doubles, but it does not matter whether they are there or not.
Some double yellows are seasonal, seaside towns use them, so they get a plate. e.g. "May - Sept"

Back