General Pandering in Europe

Currently reading:
General Pandering in Europe

salford scheemie said:
Well, like virtually all architects I think Corb is amazing. We went to the modernism exhibition at the V&A which had some of his original drawings - it will be great to see the actual buildings.

I am a Modernist, and have little interest in historic stuff. There's enough old buildings already, without people doing pastiches now. It's the same in cars - like those rediculous new Beetles and Minis.

One of the reasons I like the Panda is its simple Modernistic design, the modernist concept of existenzminimum - providing you with exactly what you need without frills or unnecesary complexity.

Ah, you need to visit parts of East Germany or the former Eastern Bloc. Lots of simple, dull, drab and minimalistic grey buildings with no aesthetic appeal whatsoever :p Thank you Stalin :rolleyes:

1986Uno45S said:
Ah, you need to visit parts of East Germany or the former Eastern Bloc. Lots of simple, dull, drab and minimalistic grey buildings with no aesthetic appeal whatsoever :p Thank you Stalin :rolleyes:
You can just go to Lower Broughton... and remove the optomistic new republic from the equation.

as for the mumbo jumbo i stopped goingaround the houses when i no longer had to write thesis. these days it's far more direct... you say minimalistic... i say boxy

Ah !,

So, you will be a Bauhaus man then ... pleased to make your aquaintence on that level; However ... I was senior playleader in Lower Broughton for a year or so during the late 70's ... would I remember your face, I wonder.;)

salford scheemie said:
Well, like virtually all architects I think Corb is amazing. We went to the modernism exhibition at the V&A which had some of his original drawings - it will be great to see the actual buildings.

I am a Modernist, and have little interest in historic stuff. There's enough old buildings already, without people doing pastiches now. It's the same in cars - like those rediculous new Beetles and Minis.

One of the reasons I like the Panda is its simple Modernistic design, the modernist concept of existenzminimum - providing you with exactly what you need without frills or unnecesary complexity.

he has and he did make some comment on it... but i can't recall what it was :)

I went to kindergarten and my first primary school in Lower Broughton... the place has slumped... which is saying something as it was rubbish then.

My Granny was from Lower Broughton ( but she scrubbed up well and married a guy from Hale) . For those who don't know the area it's a crazy ghost suburb now. Actually Salford is a good example of the sucess of Modernist planning - the tower blocks such as I used to live in - have a waiting list to get in to. The traditional ground-level housing is largely abandoned.

Also Salford has the world's greatest pub, the King's Arms. It has five in-house theatre companies and real ales for £1.20.

Anyway if Jim has a boyfriend, I don't see why I shouldn't have one :rolleyes:

pandafan said:
Ah !,

So, you will be a Bauhaus man then ... pleased to make your aquaintence on that level; However ... I was senior playleader in Lower Broughton for a year or so during the late 70's ... would I remember your face, I wonder.;)

Aha, the Bauhaus school of applied art! Now that is seriously cool minimalistic art and design. It's worth going to Berlin just to visit the Bauhaus museum, a fascinating array of art and design. Sadly the Nazis didn't like the school's Communist overtones and shut it down sometime in the 1920's. Luckily the art survived and influenced a modern generation of artists and designers.

Worth a visit, and so is Berlin (y)

What a remarkably well-informed and eclectic bunch we have on this forum (y)

Back