General Pandering in Europe

Currently reading:
General Pandering in Europe

salford scheemie

Further to Jim's spectacular trans-continental excursion, my boyfriend and I are going to drive around Europe for a couple of weeks in September.

As we're both architecture students we're going to be going around Holland, France, Switzerland and Germany looking at buildings. By Panda, since we may as well travel in style.

I got a quote of £84 from the RAC for european breakdown cover. I don't think I'd enjoy myself with even the chance of grinding to a halt on the side of the autobahn hanging over my head. But could anyone recommend any cheaper cover? Maybe arranging cover abroad?

And is there anything I need to check on the car before embarking on a 6000 mile journey other than the fluids/ tyre pressures etc? It's just had a major service. Should I worry about the alternator going? My car's done 88,000 miles now. Would it be worth getting one as a spare?

Any other advice gratefully recieved :eek:

i you come to the area of cologne / aachen / düsseldorf feel free to contact me and ill be there :) love to get to know english people.

you should also visit prague!!!

Last edited:
and i'll be in southern spain if you feel the need to park up next to another panda - bed for the night etc.
limited building though but plenty of mountains :)
gina X

Brilliant!

Spares are more plentiful in Europe - just get a good Service before you go - here is then no reason why you should break down that you can reasonably avoid . . . . .:)

I am sure Portugal would hold many roads where the 4x4 panda would feel good... they are famous for having about 1 motorway stayle road... which connects Lisborn to Madrid from what i remember... not much architecture though...

Well the plan is to go by ferry to Holland first - their contemporary architecture is the best in the world. They've got something called the Beauty Commission that decides if proposed buildings are sufficiently beautiful.

Then France to see some Le Corbusier buildings, then across that massive new bridge that's hundreds of miles above France towards Switzerland to see the world's loveliest concrete.

Maybe then to see my brother in Liberec in the Czech Republic, then back through Germany.

It's a bit ambitious for two weeks, and there's not time to see everything we'd like, like Spain (thanks, though Gina!).

I'm fairly sure the Panda will be fine - it's never really broken down - I'm always driving from Glasgow to Suffolk with no problems - but the olnly other cars I've had were from the 1970's so I've got a bit apprehensive.

:D the buildings in Poznan in Poland were pretty cool - maybe poland's a better option for you than spain ?!:) iaising the have friends there so keep us updated or pm me if you need a contact.
gina X
jims certainly setting the standard with his trips abroad (y)

Salford,
Purely as a matter of personal interest; what do you think of Le Corbusier's work ?

i'm into 'hundertwasser' - but his whole approach to life as well -all connected ,all things are one . i've seen his stuff in new zealand.
is le corbusier the 5 point guy? also into grass roofs in the 1920's?

grinni said:
you should also visit prague!!!

Yes, Prague is amazing for archtecture (y) Only problem is that this time of year it will be packed with tourists (n) If you can go that far, Budapest in Hungary is similar to Prague though more rustic.

Definitely worth checking out Salzburg in Austria, and also Vienna. And Germany has some very pretty towns, and though the buildings are a bit austere Berlin is a fantastic place. Bavaria has some pretty villages, and castle Neuschwanstein (not sure if I spelt that right) right down in the south is like something out of a fairy tale.

Depends what kind of architecture you are into. Gothic or Baroque?

Well, like virtually all architects I think Corb is amazing. We went to the modernism exhibition at the V&A which had some of his original drawings - it will be great to see the actual buildings.

I am a Modernist, and have little interest in historic stuff. There's enough old buildings already, without people doing pastiches now. It's the same in cars - like those rediculous new Beetles and Minis.

One of the reasons I like the Panda is its simple Modernistic design, the modernist concept of existenzminimum - providing you with exactly what you need without frills or unnecesary complexity.

Back