General Panda Raid Morocco

Currently reading:
General Panda Raid Morocco

captain tremendous

Hello all.
New to the forum, nice to be here.
As the title suggests, I have foolishly entered the Panda Raid down through Spain and Morocco next March. It's a charity event to raise funds for kids so a worthy cause and should also be a real hoot!
I have bought a 1988 Panda 4x4 for the event and am now prepping it for the rough stuff. If anyone has done the event before or something similar, I would welcome any advice car related. Also I need to get a proper ally sump guard fitted. Does anyone on here make/sell them or able to provide dimensions so I can get one made.
I also need a roof rack capable of holding a couple of spare wheels, Jerry cans of fuel and water etc and would like to get some decent seats as well as the going is likely to be long and tough!
Any suggestions would be great and if anyone has any of the above and other useful bits of kit to sell, please let me know.
Cheers
Russ

Hi Russ!

There is a guy on here who has done the rally before, sure he'll be along shortly. There's also a couple who have done similar but not in Pandas. I have also been considering doing it.

As far as seats go, if you make some custom brackets then you can put other seats in such as Alfa 147 - another forum member can make these brackets for you too if needed.

And now, we await the proper experts.... :)

Hi Russ, welcome indeed.

Sorry for delayed reply, I've been working hard at building a habitat for my Pandas :devil: ... many late nights! Anyway yes I entered the 2014 Pandaraid. Absolutely epic rally, will definitely do again in the future. I spotted your questions a bit late tonight though and must sleep now. But I will try to say some useful things tomorrow evening :)

Cheers,
Si

I have written a few thoughts down (already had this for someone else who asked for some advice on our teams facebook page (https://www.facebook.com/PandaRaid2014CharityRally/)

So new dampers is a good idea as they will get a lot of abuse. The rear ones on the 4x4 are fairly quick and easy to do with no need to even lift the car.

-checking engine cooling, perhaps fitting a new radiator
Don't really need a bigger radiator but if you don't know the history of the rad might be worth replacing in case someone has used some crappy leak stopping stuff and blocked it up (you can check if there are any cold patches on it by touching it when engine is warmed up but might be safer to just replace and off ebay they are quite cheap I think...Also you will want a fan switch so that you can turn on the radiator fan and leave it on when climbing up steep hills very slowly as this is the killer bit. You can remove the rear bonnet rubber as well to let a bit more heat out from the bonnet but if you do this the bonnet is free to vibrate (and it will very badly shake to bits in Morocco as we found out!!)

-fitting chunky tyres
Yes yes and yes!! I use Malatesta Tracs from (tyresdirectuk.co.uk) they were incredible although they will get quite ruined! :eek: There was some separation inside the tyre after we had a puncture but this may have been from driving it for a bit while the tyre was deflated.

-fitting a roof rack with two spare wheels
Roof rack is a good idea although the extra drag will make a difference to your top speed so we kept as much inside as possible.

-tinting the windows
Good idea. We blanked out the rears (good for security and heat from the sun) but tinting is just as good. It's what I have done now.

-removing the rear seats
Probably will need to do this to fit it all in but we kept the rear hammock type seats in mine as it was great at stopping things from sliding about! :slayer: And this will happen!

-fitting a sump/steering guard
A must, there are some horrific rocks and they will go through the metal frame fiat one. Aluminium sheet will do though but 3mm+ thick or will just punch right through.

-protecting the fuel tank maybe - especially for plastic fuel tanks. Yours should be metal though I think.
Having said that we didn't protect it and got away with it but not to say a bad idea if you have time.
Much more important...check your filler pipe fuel hose connections. these get old and weak and it only takes a knock from the wheel or a big rock and your fuel will leak out! Check that when you fully load up the car and have the off road tyres fitted that the tyre does not contact the filler pipe. A lot of people had this issue on the raid due to the large amount of weight in the car.

-taking spare fuel/water
Yes definitely. You should get lots of suggestions from Pandaraid on what to bring and what you have to bring as well.

-finding some decent GPS/navigation equipment and maps....
a morocco map is also required but you are technically not allowed to bring any GPS and if caught officially will be disqualified. But I am sure only the people trying to win would be checked. and others probably got away with it. We just had the map although we had a GPS for euro land no maps for morocco though...but "roads, there are no roads where you're going" :cool:

- Spares
worth taking some spares of things which cannot be fixed at roadside (the organisers do have spares but always better if you are able to fix yourself). Alternator is a good one as car won't go far if this fails.
Service items like spark plugs, fuel filters, spare air filters as they get clogged, jubilee clips and tape and wire for repairing burst water pipes.

- Tools
Everything you need to change wheels and pump tyres up (you'll likely need to drop tyre pressures for the sand dunes but on the road you'll want more air as your top speed will be massively reduced!!). Torch for any emergency breakdowns.

Probably quite a lot more to think about and can never really be prepared enough. But the Pandaraid organisers are very good and most things run quite smoothly. The support truck has almost everything from spare engines and gearboxes to CV joints (as I found out!)...

Anyway, have fun! Will be epic I am sure. :devil:

Si

Thank you very much for all the advice. Did you make your sump guard or did you find someone to do it? Did you put standard dampers on the car? Did you change the seats?

Thank you very much for all the advice. Did you make your sump guard or did you find someone to do it? Did you put standard dampers on the car? Did you change the seats?

No problem. I did make the sump guard myself. It was quite tough to bend though! And I just cut it with an angle grinder. The best thing to do is to buy the sheet from someone who will cut to order and to the general size you want. Then only the easy bits are left, like drilling holes to mount it etc. Careful with blocking air flow to the engine / radiator. Mine goes all the way round the front and I added vents for cooling. but my engine does run hotter! :eek:

I just fitted standard new replacement dampers front and rear (front is a much bigger job though). This may not be necessary but when you are driving 100's of miles on rough ground the dampers get a lot of use! :eek:

I did change the seats but only with slightly better Panda ones. The ones in the car originally were a little worn and I thought might not make the journey!

Also remembered: make sure the air box has no gaps as any sand getting into the carburettor will be a breakdown for sure. And a pain to clean out in when more sand is blowing back into it!

You don't necessarily need a snorkle (to get air to the engine in deep water) but I did fit an extra pipe to the air box which took air from higher up (near the battery level) just in case water splashed up or a river crossing got a bit too deep.

Just thought that I'd weigh in here too. We're taking three cars out to the PandaRaid this year as a Mission Motorsport team effort (MM is a charity that rehabilitates badly injured soldiers into the workplace, via Motorsport; so at least one person in each car will be an ex-soldier).

Captain Tremendous, if you haven't made a sump guard and fuel tank guard yet, we have to make them for three cars, so do get in touch. Pandamonius, thank you for the excellent advice - I'd love to be able to chat live since we've got a million questions on it; and assuming all goes to plan, intend to make this an annual event for us.

Predictably, in taking my car up to the workshop in Wantage, I had my first failure, which was the gear linkage dropping off; so I think we may well copy the mod elsewhere on the forum and replace it with a proper ball joint, so it doesn't happen again. The other cars are already there and being prepped for PandaRaid.

Captain Tremendous, if you haven't made a sump guard and fuel tank guard yet, we have to make them for three cars, so do get in touch. .

Let me know as well, might be interested in these! :)

Guys, I can get the tank guard made if you want.
As the tank guard don't have to be that beafy as sump guard and you guys have to keep the weight to minimum. Material will be Aluminium Composite type sheet 4mm polyethylene core sandwitched between 0.8mm alluminiun sheets on both sides. Lightweigh and robust.

Last edited:
Just thought that I'd weigh in here too. We're taking three cars out to the PandaRaid this year as a Mission Motorsport team effort (MM is a charity that rehabilitates badly injured soldiers into the workplace, via Motorsport; so at least one person in each car will be an ex-soldier).

I'd love to support your efforts - if there are any bits you need shout out on here and we'll do our best.(y)

Hi Kolza
Thanks for your post. Have managed to get the sump guard, but would still be interested in getting the tank guard made as long as it's not too expensive.

Captain Tremendous, if you haven't made a sump guard and fuel tank guard yet, we have to make them for three cars, so do get in touch. Pandamonius, thank you for the excellent advice - I'd love to be able to chat live since we've got a million questions on it; and assuming all goes to plan, intend to make this an annual event for us.

Predictably, in taking my car up to the workshop in Wantage, I had my first failure, which was the gear linkage dropping off; so I think we may well copy the mod elsewhere on the forum and replace it with a proper ball joint, so it doesn't happen again. The other cars are already there and being prepped for PandaRaid.
Hi mccox
Would love to know if you've made your tank guards already, and whether you could get another one made?

As the tank guard don't have to be that beafy as sump guard and you guys have to keep the weight to minimum. Material will be Aluminium Composite type sheet 4mm polyethylene core sandwitched between 0.8mm alluminiun sheets on both sides. Lightweigh and robust.
Yes, would very much like to get a tank guard if an extra one could be made.

Guys, I need facts.
More organisation and please read the text with understanding.
How many guards are needed in total and what are the deadlines?

Hi,

I need one of those myself! :) But I'm in Portugal so it's not easy to get one from you...could you share some directions on how to make it and/or some photos?

Thank you

Back