General Panda (race car build)

Currently reading:
General Panda (race car build)

Unfortunately the photos that I have of the rear axle are a bit rubbish as the car was sitting on flat tires when I shaw it. However, I do have a selection of photos of the car from when it was built about 15 years ago...

Side view before it was converted to LHD. (all Trevor's cars are left hookers)

The engine is from a y10 gtie running a massive turbo. Unfortunately it died whilst going round Goodwood so will come to me with an empty engine bay.

Hope these give you some ideas (y)

I thought I recognised the car :D...I saw this when I bought a gearbox off Trevor. So you're taking it on then? :slayer: Would be great to see it back in action. What sort of events are you considering?

Si

:worship:

Cheers Dave

Thats spot on gives me more ideas now where did I put those hole saws:)

You wouldn't fancy selling those leda shocks pretty please:D

I thought I recognised the car :D...I saw this when I bought a gearbox off Trevor. So you're taking it on then? :slayer: Would be great to see it back in action. What sort of events are you considering?

Si

I have been planning to take it on since November 2010 :eek: But starting a new business and life got in the way. If I didn't have the Barchetta project at the moment then I would have the race car on my drive without a doubt.

My plan is to make it less race car and more road/track car but the modifications that have been done to it might make an MOT rather a tall order. So hill climb and track day might be all it could be used for but I like a challenge (y)

:worship:

Cheers Dave

Thats spot on gives me more ideas now where did I put those hole saws:)

You wouldn't fancy selling those leda shocks pretty please:D

Not mine to sell...yet :D

Unfortunately the age old problem is that the front shocks and steering racks on Y10s are different from Pandas so they won't fit. I haven't tried myself but I am sure there are a few on here that have tried and unfortunately failed (n)

Cool, so we have at least a trio on the way for a hillclimb panda/y10 freak out and of course we can convince Lewey to bring his 100hp classic panda sleeper. :slayer:

C'mon guys, I'm ready to go now :p

I'm pretty sure I have gotten into the Castle Combe sprint next weekend but still no email confirmation :confused: If any of you are bored on the saturday and want to watch a panda compete against single seaters :eek:

Si

Not mine to sell...yet :D

Unfortunately the age old problem is that the front shocks and steering racks on Y10s are different from Pandas so they won't fit. I haven't tried myself but I am sure there are a few on here that have tried and unfortunately failed (n)

Y10 has got an arm welded to the bottom of the strut and the Panda has a bracket half way up strut. I think this basically covers it:

susPanda.gif
susY10.gif

Cool, so we have at least a trio on the way for a hillclimb panda/y10 freak out and of course we can convince Lewey to bring his 100hp classic panda sleeper. :slayer:

C'mon guys, I'm ready to go now :p

I'm always just a wheel change away from ready.

Cool, so we have at least a trio on the way for a hillclimb panda/y10 freak out and of course we can convince Lewey to bring his 100hp classic panda sleeper.

C'mon guys, I'm ready to go now

I'm pretty sure I have gotten into the Castle Combe sprint next weekend but still no email confirmation If any of you are bored on the saturday and want to watch a panda compete against single seaters

Si

Give me 6 months and I will be with you :D

Sounds good make sure you get a video mind and let us know how you get on:cool:

Y10 has got an arm welded to the bottom of the strut and the Panda has a bracket half way up strut. I think this basically covers it:

Cheers Lewey

Now looking back at the pictures Dave put up can see the diffrences :doh:

Small update

Heat wraped the exhaust manifold think it looks alot more profesional and helps with under bonnet temps :)

Anyone wanting to heat wrap there exhaust would recommend firstly having the manifold off the car as don't think it would be possible to wrap on the car well not easily anyway.

Alot of people recommend wetting the wrap but I have found the best way is dry however do wear gloves as it's itchy stuff. I have used c.v boot clips in the past but used stainless wire this time that worked well but very easy to overtighten and break you've been warned:D

You need to set aside atleast a good hour and a half to wrap a four branch manifold it's not hard just time consuming and take your time you'll be fine (y)

Also found time to paint spare 1.2 16 valve cam gear cover as have decided to convert the 1.4 from individual coils too a wasted spark system as used by the older 1.2 16v punto engine . Fitted painted cam gear cover along with new coils and a set of 8.5mm performance plug leads another step closer

Next job on the list was poly engine mounts obvouisly you can't just buy a set for a Panda well not that I can find . So decided to cut up the original mount and make my own using a Landrover rear radius arm poly bush still need to paint the brackets and bond the bushes to the metal parts isn't exactly the same size about 5mm deeper but shouldn't cause a problem .
However will need to either enlarge the hole on the mounting brackets as the bottom bush is a bigger diameter or will need to work out a diffrent lower bush:confused:

Rest of the pictures show the shell now down to almost a bare shell will be stripped bare in preperation for the fabrication and paint work next job is to make a homemade car spit and get it in the shed:slayer:

Attachments

• panda build 012.jpg
    panda build 012.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 55
  • panda build 013.jpg
    panda build 013.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 38
  • panda build 008.jpg
    panda build 008.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 42
  • panda build 010.jpg
    panda build 010.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 45
  • panda build 011.jpg
    panda build 011.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 36
  • panda build 021.jpg
    panda build 021.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 41
  • panda build 019.jpg
    panda build 019.jpg
  • panda build 020.jpg
    panda build 020.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 42
  • panda build 018.jpg
    panda build 018.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 40
  • panda build 022.jpg
    panda build 022.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 42
  • panda build 028.jpg
    panda build 028.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 36
  • panda build 027.jpg
    panda build 027.jpg
  • panda build 026.jpg
    panda build 026.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 48
  • panda build 025.jpg
    panda build 025.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 46
  • panda build 024.jpg
    panda build 024.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 48
Hi Mike,

Since you have been a bit busy on your holidays.
I thought I would share a few pictures from them that I thought everyone might appreciate on here.

As I am sure that it is not often that you see a Panda on tow!(y)

Hope everyone appreciates the retro setup!:D

Attachments

• 2013-07-27 20.15.51.jpg
    2013-07-27 20.15.51.jpg
    145.2 KB · Views: 36
  • 2013-07-27 20.15.54.jpg
    2013-07-27 20.15.54.jpg
    133.3 KB · Views: 33
  • 2013-08-03 18.50.27.jpg
    2013-08-03 18.50.27.jpg
    121.4 KB · Views: 39
  • panda on tow.jpg
    panda on tow.jpg
    27.2 KB · Views: 41
Well it's been a good couple years but im back onto this project . Which has changed slightly now as the original shell I was using ended up under a tree!! Will get pics of it so that put a slight dampener on the project and progress stopped as I was gutted. However I have now decided its time to use the parts to convert the panda clx as seen being towed in the last pictures. This will now be a road car using the same 1.4 16v but with a t-jet vl37 turbo from a 2009 bravo. It will be running low boost due to the higher compression to start with .

Attachments

• 20160202_174059.jpg
    20160202_174059.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 41
  • 20160128_182639.jpg
    20160128_182639.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 47
ah, a very similar plan to mine this.... although I am yet to start really. I was planning to just use a decomp plate for now and just run wastegate pressure initially. At mo though i am just collecting parts and I want to upgrade from non-assisted brakes to servo'd brakes, got full punto GT brakes to stick once servo is all mounted up. I guess really starting with an older, carbed panda was not the best plan really. Need new wheels before I can fit all the brakes on and funds are currently tight so its just sat in garage waiting atm.

Anyway, I am ranting and this is meant to be about your build - what are those wheels out of interest, they are gorgeous! what's size, offset and width of them.?

Don't think you can go wrong starting with a carbed or inj panda aslong as its solid enough and mainly rust free ☺

But yeah probably slightly easier with the clx model as it already has the benefits of servo assist , 5 speed and inj tank.

The wheels are 13x7 inch I think the offset is et38 would need to check they just clear the rear suspension arm on the inside by mm.

As for the make im not entirely sure as iv'e had them for nearly 3 years ?

Well here are the pics of the first shell which the tree landed on �?????�

It actually kinked the roof above the b pillar and broke the windscreen

Attachments

• 20160203_153745.jpg
    20160203_153745.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 36
  • 20160203_153803.jpg
    20160203_153803.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 27
  • 20160203_153754.jpg
    20160203_153754.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 26
Also had time today to look over the 1.2 16v manifold to see what kind of throttle body I could use as the original 1.2 is tiny!

I searched previous threads which people seem to use larger fiat throttle bodies with custom adapter plates , which I understand when wanting to use the original wiring. However I by luck stumbled across a direct bolt on larger body which if anyone is interested comes from a peugeot 106 gti☺ It uses the same 3 bolt pattern of the mk1 punto 16v manifolds which is handy. I will be making my own wiring loom so shouldn't cause any issues

Now to my next problem can anyone enlighten me if the oil filter / cooler housing will bolt onto this engine so I can use the original water and oil lines to the turbo of the t-jet ???????

Attachments

• 20160203_183457.jpg
    20160203_183457.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 26
  • 20160203_183517.jpg
    20160203_183517.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 26
what size is the pug TB then?? There is a 36mm TB that is on a older shape bravo thats direct swap, actually looks exactly same as the 1.2 TB just 36mm instead - loads on this in cento section.

oil filter housing, i presume you mean does a tjet one fit a normal na 16v engine? not tried but i would bet money that it does.

Ah ok , the pug tb is around 50mm so a big difference just need to make a throttle cable mount but that shouldn't be a problem.

Yeah thats exactly what I was wondering looks to me as if it will but no one seems to have actually done it that I can find.
I see there is a 100hp new panda thats been converted with tjet turbo and front bumper exhaust exit? but no info or pics of oil lines etc

Back