General Panda mini camper...

Currently reading:
General Panda mini camper...

Myusername

So, I went on a camping trip last week. I had a tent, but it quick proved to be rubbish (£20 Asda tent anyone?)

So, can you sleep in a Panda? Yes you can, and it wasn't as bad as you'd imagine.

Now I know there's been discussion on here about removing seats etc, so here's what I found:

1. You can indeed remove the headrests from the front seats...

2. ...but you don't need to/want to. With some experiments, I found the best way was to slide the front passenger seat as far back as it will go (not forwards) then recline the backrest as far as it will go.

3. Place some padding on the passenger side dashtop.

4. You can now lie down full length with your feet on the dashboard!😄

The backrest will be resting on the rear seat base so won't go entirely flat, but as a 6 footer I was fine with it. And it's best to keep the headrest on as it provides valuable length for your bed!

Some luxurious black bags taped to the window for curtains and I was good to go. 🥱

Ive got one of these but you could park a Panda under the entrance. It needs its own trailer.

$_86.PNG

Good to know, thanks! So this was with the rear seats left in place, rear seat back upright?
I'm impressed there's enough room for a fully-grown adult :)
I had a tent, but it quick proved to be rubbish (£20 Asda tent anyone?)
It may be true of many things, but especially I think with outdoor gear you get what you pay for - there aren't many genuine bargains.
The cheap stuff is 'fine' as long as there's no wind or rain. Otherwise it's landfill material, sadly. Or for leaving in a field surrounded by rubbish for someone else to clear up.
And the good stuff is expensive, so only worth the investment if you use it regularly.
It does last, though, if you get good quality and look after it. My tent is over 25 years old now, a couple of repairs but still a good 'un. It was the only tent left standing out of five after a particularly wild night in Glen Etive. Ah, the joys of spring in Scotland...

My big tent (bought very cheap probably because its so big) only got used once but it coped with bad weather like nothing else Ive had. I moved to Devon and haven't needed to go camping.

Good to know, thanks! So this was with the rear seats left in place, rear seat back upright?
I'm impressed there's enough room for a fully-grown adult :)

It may be true of many things, but especially I think with outdoor gear you get what you pay for - there aren't many genuine bargains.
The cheap stuff is 'fine' as long as there's no wind or rain. Otherwise it's landfill material, sadly. Or for leaving in a field surrounded by rubbish for someone else to clear up.
And the good stuff is expensive, so only worth the investment if you use it regularly.
It does last, though, if you get good quality and look after it. My tent is over 25 years old now, a couple of repairs but still a good 'un. It was the only tent left standing out of five after a particularly wild night in Glen Etive. Ah, the joys of spring in Scotland...
I have done a few 200+ mile walks with cheap tents.

single skin. Great for putting up. Peg the 4 corners put the two poles in and raise with guy line. I have put this up on ice in very strong winds.

but all single skin suffer from condensation in cold weather. The only way to stay dry in winter is to leave plenty of ventilation read cold.

For me double skin is the way to go. I payed £40 just under for mine. On offer. Did spend a little more to make it usable. Changed the heavy fiber glass poles for light weight aluminium and pegs for sturdy nylon

They have a tough life with me. They dont last forever. The lighter the more expensive they are. Which means they are generally more fragile and dont last as long.

There is a trade off in size. The small the quicker they warm up but more cramped. The final straw in a really small tent was after a day in the mountains I couldn't get my boots off. Too small to sit up in. and every time I bent my leg I got cramp. The shoe laces were frozen solid. Spending an half an hour stuck like this instead of inside a sleeping bag was no fun. Just bigger enough to sit up I find is plenty.

mine you put the inner tent up first. Better designed are outer First.

yep you could definitely get a panda in that tent! Then go off and find a hotel.....
Just jesting.
I agree, but it really was fabulous almost as good as a caravan. With stuff like this on the doorstep, I’ve simply not needed it.

Attachments

• AC88258C-9EA9-4C8E-BDA0-98A9A6E58813.jpeg
    AC88258C-9EA9-4C8E-BDA0-98A9A6E58813.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 33
  • 03FFA8FE-5282-4905-84CB-C002B6D6C883.jpeg
    03FFA8FE-5282-4905-84CB-C002B6D6C883.jpeg
    3.9 MB · Views: 22
Back