General panda inlet manifold?

Currently reading:
General panda inlet manifold?

arc said:
bielstein sell a tuning package for the Cinq, and that photo is of the manifold they use. Rob said it looked like a std FIAT part, so thought the best people to ask would be in the panda section (y)

edit: guessing that manifold would be found on an Uno too?

So the Bilstein manifold looks like a standard Panda/ Uno carb manifold, and the Cinq manifold (painted red) is the standard Cinq issue manifold :confused:

Have Bilstein made any modifications to the manifold they sell? Bit cheeky if they're selling a standard carburetor FIRE manifold as a performance item!

The Cinq inlet manifold (the red one) has longer inlet tracts and the branches occur later. I wonder if this is anything to do with it being from an injection?

If it's any help, here's a picture of the inlet manifold on my spare FIRE engine. It's from a 1988 Uno 999cc, running a carburetor. Looks virtually the same as the Panda Sisley and the Bilstein inlet manifold! So that means you can go hunting for Uno manifolds in the scrappies as well now (y)

Uno_inlet_manifold.JPG

the painted manifold is my cinq manifold yeah. also the same one used on the punto60 engine i had.
its odd to see it on fuel injected punto.

does the uno one have room for a water temperature sensor? not a big problem, but bit of a faff to re-add one if its not there!

arc said:
the painted manifold is my cinq manifold yeah. also the same one used on the punto60 engine i had.
its odd to see it on fuel injected punto.

does the uno one have room for a water temperature sensor? not a big problem, but bit of a faff to re-add one if its not there!

There is a blanking bolt (I think) at one end, that looks like it is where a temperature sender should bolt into. Have a look at the far right at the back of the manifold picture I posted. The Uno uses a temp sender on the head, so possibly that's why it is blanked off.

Anyone know what there differences are between the two manifolds in question?

well the std one on the cinq is..erm crap!

on the cinq, there is a temp sender on the head for the gauge and then a sender in the inlet manifold for the ECU. Gauge one isnt needed, but the ECU one is!

Hopefully get one of the other types of manifolds, and Rob is gonna get them on a flowbench to compare the two.

arc said:
well the std one on the cinq is..erm crap!

on the cinq, there is a temp sender on the head for the gauge and then a sender in the inlet manifold for the ECU. Gauge one isnt needed, but the ECU one is!

Hopefully get one of the other types of manifolds, and Rob is gonna get them on a flowbench to compare the two.

Sorry to drag up old threads, but Arc, did this ever happen? Its just that guess what is in my local scrappy? :rolleyes: I am thinking of slowly building up my parts mountain and it would be a shame to miss out on this if it does actually improve flow. Or if its not worth doing then i'll save the skin on my knuckles for another job.

And another aside, probably a bit too technical but i'll ask anyway. When working out optimum inlet lengths you measure to the ends of the err... shall we say 'Trumpet', but where is this point on the SPI throttle body? Is it to the very top edge, where its very wide where the air box bolts on, or does the theoretical dimension end at a point further in the TB where the bore is much smaller and closer to the manifold diameter? Reason is i am wanting to work out what happens to the shock wave pulses, for a completely different project.

balidey said:
And another aside, probably a bit too technical but i'll ask anyway. When working out optimum inlet lengths you measure to the ends of the err... shall we say 'Trumpet', but where is this point on the SPI throttle body? Is it to the very top edge, where its very wide where the air box bolts on, or does the theoretical dimension end at a point further in the TB where the bore is much smaller and closer to the manifold diameter? Reason is i am wanting to work out what happens to the shock wave pulses, for a completely different project.

I designed inlet manifolds for a petrol engine for my 3rd uni project (last year). In all of the models I took the inlet tract length as being from the point the inlet physically starts (say the end of a resonant volume like an airbox) and where it finishes (the head-manifold flange joint)

If you know what youre handling, OId recommend anaylsing it in some capable CFD software like Ansys for example, but bear in mind that its very complicated and it won't necessarily work without dyno-proving.

arseofbox said:
I designed inlet manifolds for a petrol engine for my 3rd uni project (last year). In all of the models I took the inlet tract length as being from the point the inlet physically starts (say the end of a resonant volume like an airbox) and where it finishes (the head-manifold flange joint)

If you know what youre handling, OId recommend anaylsing it in some capable CFD software like Ansys for example, but bear in mind that its very complicated and it won't necessarily work without dyno-proving.

Thanks for that Tom, i have some passing knowledge of CFD, i occassionally use FEA, but i was not intending to go that far, just wanted to work out a tract length and see how close my 'idea' is. Not that i'm going to attempt a manifold just yet, but if i do then you will be one of the first to know.

arc said:
Look closely at this, anyone recognise what engine it is off?

031116_400.jpg

notice the way it differs to this manifold:

http://tackycheese.net/gallery/main.php?g2_view=core.ShowItem&g2_itemId=5626

guessing it's off a carb'd FIRE engine, but i know nothing about them. anyone help?

they have machined the inlet tract of the manifold, but that looks about it. the ports to head aint machined, there are no dowel holes to suggest that the ports are mached to the head, that alone reduces port to head turbulence issues, that manifold is a pig to polish as it isnt straight anywhere and most abrasive tools arent designed for the size of ports. i'm currently looking at mounting the uno turbo manifold via an adaptor plate as this gives better flow benefits and can be worked on, specially when i have the eaton m45 connected to it(y) the charger will be wet as the injector stack will be on the airbox side of charger to help atomise fuel further.
suggestions welcome...
piccs to follow

Ooooh, i like the sound of the 'charger. There seem to be so many going for peanuts with hardly any miles on them. Keep us informed of progress.

And has anyone got a piccie of the uno turbo inlet manifold? I did a quick google search, but nothing i can identify as one.

as requested
UnoTurboiemk1engine.jpg

the bit that has the blue hose connected to it, and says uno turbo ie embossed into the manifold

Back