Technical Panda Handbrake Adjustment

Currently reading:
Technical Panda Handbrake Adjustment

My sister has a 1.1 Panda active and I'm wondering how the handbrake adjusts on these. There doesn't seem to be any obvious internal adjusted in the car. Can someone enlighten me on how to do this please?

On my 55 panda the adjuster is on the inside of the rear drums if that is any good to you ?

There are two sets of adjusters:

The first is part of the brake shoe expander mechanism in the rear drums. Take a few photos as you remove the bits so you know how to put it back together again.

The other adjuster is to take up the cable slack. It's under the centre (handbrake lever) console. One of the screws is concealed by a plastic flap near the base of the handbrake lever. The others are in the cupholders.

It's best not to fiddle with the cable adjuster if you haven't first cleaned and adjusted the drums.

Many thanks to you for the pointers. I have a feeling that I the cable just needs adjusting at its 7-8 clicks from min to max. Foot brake performance is very good so am assuming the drum adjustment is ok.

Many thanks to you for the pointers. I have a feeling that I the cable just needs adjusting at its 7-8 clicks from min to max. Foot brake performance is very good so am assuming the drum adjustment is ok.

Don't assume, check first.

Just checked mine, It is 5 clicks.
As said above, do not tighten the cable until you've ensured the shoe adjusters are working correctly.
With handbrake off. Push pedal hard and release, several times to properly seat the shoes against the drum.

When parking, bring car to a normal stop, then before applying handbrake, push brake pedal hard. This pushes shoes against drums. While still holding pedal hard, apply handbrake. This gets the footbrake to do all the work and the car will always stay where its put.

Back