Off Topic Panda goes where 500 feared to tread (or swim)

Currently reading:
Off Topic Panda goes where 500 feared to tread (or swim)

Giving a lift to a friend the other day- second day of Panda mk3 ownership in fact - we came across a very large lake of water across the road. At the other side of the lake a 207 was doing a reverse turn out of there. I turned to my passenger and said "does this road have much of a dip in it?" He answered no so I steadily forded the murky waters.....

....and nothing untoward to report apart from a little steam off the exhaust.
In fact the whole experience was so unremarkable did the same at the next flood.

However, chancey as those two encounters where I'm not a complete moron and took anther route home avoiding said road lakes. :p

Hi

I would have thought a little risky. Does anyone know the safe depth of water before it enters to air intake?

Ideally on a 4X4.

Derek

Giving a lift to a friend the other day- second day of Panda mk3 ownership in fact - we came across a very large lake of water across the road. At the other side of the lake a 207 was doing a reverse turn out of there. I turned to my passenger and said "does this road have much of a dip in it?" He answered no so I steadily forded the murky waters.....

....and nothing untoward to report apart from a little steam off the exhaust.
In fact the whole experience was so unremarkable did the same at the next flood.

However, chancey as those two encounters where I'm not a complete moron and took anther route home avoiding said road lakes. :p

Where abouts was this flood?

This was clearly to deep. :D

image_01.jpg

Curious to know what led up to that.

At least if it had been the Ford transit in the water you could have had a classic 'The Sun' headline of DICK VAN DYKE.

That said, I suspect the Dutch aren't familiar with Hollywood's resident Mockney.

I've heard that the air intake on the new Panda 4x4 is 700mm above ground, which is impressive. I've looked at the intake on my 2007 4x4 and it is impressively high up too. The trick in deep water is to set up a bow wave in front which means that the water is lower in the engine compartment, as demonstrated here...

http://www.youtube.com/user/87ParisDakarSteve?feature=mhee

Click on the Duntisbourne Leer ford video. There's a version for the children and an adult version, which is what happened the first time I went through it. You'll need sound.

Steve.

Back