Technical Panda fault codes: P0504, P0300, P0302, P0303. With the latter 3 saying temp too high

Currently reading:
Technical Panda fault codes: P0504, P0300, P0302, P0303. With the latter 3 saying temp too high

You have a random

Generic P0302 and P0303

This does not tell us much

Compression
Fuel none or wrong amount
Air
Spark none, weak or wrong time

In cylinders 2 and 3

So that around 7 different issues of which most of which get there information from multi sensor and cabling and computers
You can pretty much rule out the coil pack and leads

And that’s about it.

A garage can’t tell you from the codes alone where the problem is

They can make an educated guess by the chance of getting wrong are very high

We can list every possibility there’s probably over 30 if you include cabling

Or we try and work out a strategy

I would swap spark plugs 1 and 4
For 2 and 3

And do a compression test

Look at the ambient temperature and coolant temperatures via live data

And visibly look at the MAP sensor for oil contamination

As a start

Thank you very much - very sound advice. When I finally get to the bottom of it I’ll let everyone know.

Both garages weren’t keen on changing the plugs when I asked. They felt that they would gradually become worse therefore the problem couldn’t be intermittent.

@Elliott 4
Is still having problems several months on

Here a PM

Which I think belongs here

Hi everyone, I’m still having the same problem with my fiat panda. It is now giving me some warning before it cuts out, unlike previously. This happened three times in the last week. I have the usual engine symbol as I always have, but on one of the occasions I got a warning symbol on the dash which was a steering wheel with an exclamation mark ❗️ running through it. Although this may just be random and not connected in any way. On the same occasion the car went into limp mode by restricting my speed to 30 mph. I had a new crank sensor fitted and I was okay for a while, but it was early days and I knew that it may start to play up again which it now is - I was hoping to tell you all that it fixed the problem. It was plugged in today and was showing random misfires - 8 faults in total. A beeping sound can also be heard from the dash when it’s not playing up, but probably has no connection. Any ideas anyone?

P.s. Happy New Year everyone.

As soon as a P0302 or P0303 is detected the engine will shut down that’s cylinders fuel injector to stop further damage

So depending if it’s one or both codes are triggered he car will then be running on two or three cylinders

Which explains the on some occasion the car went into limp mode by restricting my speed to 30

Nobody can tell you why you have a misfire

Loads of different things can cause it

Low compression head gasket
Low compression timing
Cracked head
Water entering a cylinder
Weak spark leads
Weak spark plugs
Weak spark coil
Plugs covered in carbon
Plugs covered in oil
Wrong plug temperature range
Wrong spark timing ECU
Block CAT
Wrong or lazy O2 reading
Wrong coolant temperature reading
Wrong air temperature reading
Wrong air pressure reading
Low fuel pressure
Dirty fuel
Stale fuel
Wrong amount injected injector
Wrong time injected ECU
Injector wiring fault
Low 5V reference
Wrong crank timing
Wrong amount of air throttle body
Wrong amount of air inlet leak
Wrong amount of air block filter
Engine not turning over smoothly

and loads more.

The best thing is to diagnose the problem.

As it’s always the same two cylinders I would swap these on at a time for ones one a working cylinder

Spark plugs
HT leads even though they are new
Injectors

Are all free and easy to do

Thank you Koalar, I will show this to the garage and go from there - I just wonder how long until it’s diagnosed as this is more than frustrating now.

Thanks once again.

Back