General Panda 4x4

Currently reading:
General Panda 4x4

The new 4x4 looks like a very capable car and if I can persuade the Mrs I hope to be able to order one from new. Our local dealer has said they get a lot of enquiries, though they had virtually no details they could share with me - which seems odd as just coming back on this forum after a bit of an absence, I've learnt a lot without too much effort! (thanks guys :) )

As to the price, I'm guessing this will be a an expensive little car and another slow seller...

My current thinking is to go for a twin-air, rather than a diesel as I do a lot of short runs to the station (only 4miles each way). A petrol car will handle this better without problems - particularly if you run it on V-Power and give it a decent run every few weeks.

Lastly, I don't suppose there will be an auto, as that would just be too good to be true...

The 4x4 in black certainly seems the most desirable new Panda to me; the ride quality looks like a real step forward. Have to wait for availability, options and price - so close but no cigar, so far.

Very nice. I think the orange car shown is a Trekking, not a 4x4 (?), however I hope that colour will be available in the UK. The green is a nice colour, but is a bit of a cr@p colour for resale and can look very drab if not kept beautifully clean. I reckon a nice solid bright colour (or white even) is the way to go OR at the other end of the scale, a metallic black.

Yes - the commentary says the orange one's a Trekking with the traction aid that gives it some of the abilities of the 4x4. Video made at Fiat's own Balocco test track. There's a bit about the history of the Panda 4x4, including mention of the original and emphasis on the new model's transmission set-up, interior unique to the 4x4, bigger size with more passenger room and price in the 14,000 euro area.

Hi there, I had a call from a sales guy in Blackburn, he said they would be getting the new 4x4 just after christmas. So I phoned my local dealer who said the same to my suprise. So I have booked a test drive and he will send more details as soon as he can. For all you who already know this, sorry.:)

Wish my local dealer would ring me with that news! However, if they were really appearing so soon in the UK, would they not make the on-line configurator available as well - or at least provide some teasers?

Also, does anyone know if the 4x4 will appear before or after the Trekking version or are they effectively launched together?

Despite being brilliant, I still reckon the 4x4 will be a low volume car in the UK: However you cut it 14k is a lot of money for a very small car and there are an awful lot of very good cars competing for buyers at that price level. So you are probably down to just those people for whom only a Panda 4x4 will do - which is presumably a small number going by sales of the last model...

Wish my local dealer would ring me with that news! However, if they were really appearing so soon in the UK, would they not make the on-line configurator available as well - or at least provide some teasers?

Also, does anyone know if the 4x4 will appear before or after the Trekking version or are they effectively launched together?

Despite being brilliant, I still reckon the 4x4 will be a low volume car in the UK: However you cut it 14k is a lot of money for a very small car and there are an awful lot of very good cars competing for buyers at that price level. So you are probably down to just those people for whom only a Panda 4x4 will do - which is presumably a small number going by sales of the last model...

Can't say about launch dates, but the rest of what you wrote is spot on. The price is going to be very high for what you get. I know that the last model panda cross was counted as a niche product and that the dealers couldnt apply the same volume discounts to it. I think this will be the same.
We might be lucky with th trekking though? If they put that at £500 above lounge spec, then after discounts we may be able to get one for £10,500??
Fingers crossed :)

Perhaps they haven't driven it, but it is still an excellent and very positive review. The only glitch is that they say it isn't as (much) fun to drive as the Ka. This is bizarre as there is no Ka equivalent, but never mind.

I took a friend to see the 500 Abarth and the Panda, and he jumped in and out of them both, mainly because he is a tall broad shouldered man and simply didn't fit, when he held the steering wheels his elbows bashed against the doors - true I'm afraid. But as far as the Abarth was concerned he also hated the dashboard with that revcounter? pod thing stuck on the dash and the zero storage. He hated it, and he is in the market for a small sporty car. Pity.

So there we go. I like the look of the Trekking, but if my friends don't fit...?????

Slightly muted review from Parkers... -- almost reads as if they haven't actually driven it...!

I've worked as an editor in the past and I wouldn't let that review go to print. They're obsessed with describing the 4x4 as a city car while explaining why it isn't one. Confused and confusing, while most of what's said is positive the negative points make little sense. It drives like a small 4x4 rather than a conventional small car - well, surprise, surprise! It has no real competitors so we'll concoct a list of them.

After all that, it's the only model of the new Panda that would interest me in the least as it's dynamic qualities might outweigh the other drawbacks that put me off it.

I phoned our local dealer today to ask about availability: All he could say was they expected them in the new year but he had absolutely no details on specs / prices / options and the rest. No idea even when they would have a brochure let alone when they could take an order!

Is FIAT marketing living in the dark ages?? If this has been BMW UK, they would have had teasers / videos and all sorts on their website long before it hit any roads, let alone UK ones. I wonder if FIAT is dithering over pricing or something? Anyhow, the 4x4 is (in my view) unquestionably a halo model in their range, so why not make something of it? They have already received a 4.5 star rating from Autocar magazine as a result of a brief test drive in a LHD car: I'd shout about that if I were them!

:confused::confused::confused:

Dacia has been advertising the Duster for months. They've even have one parked on the grass outside my local Renault dealer since early summer. They told us the price 6 month ago too.

I've just posted about 500 rival, the Vauxhall Adam in the 500 section. They are taking orders at dealers now for January deliveries. The swish Vauxhall web site is up looking great.

Fiat, "Er, we don't know" flaming useless!! The demand for Panda 4x4 during winter 2010 was immense. Just after they stopped bringing them in to the UK. Now is the time for Fiat to open the order books and get people in just as the weather gets cold.
I bet we won't see the 4x4 in the UK until spring.

It's common sense, you sell niche products like convertibles in the spring and summer, and panda 4x4s in the autumn/winter

Last edited:
Fiat is famous for crap marketing and crap aftersales. The factory is closed because of low sales, then they introduce a new model, and don't make it!

Dacia is doing something similar. I just had a Renault salesman on the phone telling me they had a Duster to test drive for one day only, in December. He admitted that a lot of potential customers had cancelled their pre-orders because of the unavailability of a test drive...well hello!

I have made an appointment, and my Doblo has gone wrong again :mad: However, I like the look of the Dacia Sandero Stepway, which Renault has no idea about. It has a jacked up suspension with two inch better ground clearance. So it will eat into Duster sales, so they won't bring it in - yet????

I am getting pissed off by the lot of them. I would have thought that they'd have wanted to sell cars, any cars, but no, it seems teasing and market manipulation is the name of the game.

Cross, and I have to go out to a meeting now. Will the thing start???

Having spoken to our Zone Manager, he has told us our Green Panda 4x4 - automatically allocated by Fiat to all dealers - will arrive with us hopefully by the end of next week.

Go to facebook.com/guestfiatalfaromeo for more updates.

Thanks.

well you certainly seem to have better info than the guys in Salisbury!

Back