General Panda 4x4

Currently reading:
General Panda 4x4

Sure, but a 4x4 Panda is still a Panda, which is (and is generally perceived to be) a "cheap" car. A Porsche, however small, is not (and is unlikely to be perceived to be) a "cheap" car.

Yes - but the comment was not "the Panda is a bit pricey for a cheap car" - which I'm inclined to agree with, especially for the original prices announced for the lower-end models. I suppose Fiat's approach is that they can always let the price drop, or sanction dealer discounts - which are already happening - but it's very hard to put the price up for no obvious reason even if the market might justify it. They got away with it on the 500 - very expensive in my view - and VERY small internally while being too big and bulbous externally for what it is - so they were going to try it with the Panda.

Despite my misgivings about the other versions - which I would be very reluctant to buy - I do find the 4x4 appealing - if it would get us to Italy in reasonable comfort it would be great on the white roads and mule tracks in the remoter parts of Umbria - and we could be in the market in a couple of months' time to replace Mrs b_u's 1.2.

The internal size thing is also interesting - as I suspected, the so-called extra space in the new model is hardly noticeable; while there are obviously circumstances that make shedding and putting on bulky clothes too much of a fag, I hate driving in even a jacket and wouldn't drive in a bulky coat if at all avoidable, so I don't see why the weather makes much difference to internal space requirements in an air-conditioned car.

Thank you so much Palio. I wasn't building up much hope of you getting them so quickly so it was a nice surprise :)

The Orange looks about how I'd expect, I do agree about the silver trim on the 4x4 bumpers adding to the look. In addition I hope the slightly dark alloys on the 4x4 and the tinted rear windows (I added as an option) will make it look that bit smarter too.

I know my head keeps telling me to change it to White or Silver but I've had two white 500s and Silver although smart is nearly £500 and also soooooo boring.

Like you said, the orange interior isn't too bright and I think I'll be able to live with it.

It's great to see a dealer actually getting one in stock do you know if this was one they ordered or is it going to be the car all the dealers will eventually get. Interesting it's the 1.3 diesel looking at the windscreen, I'd have though Fiat would have supplied the cheaper twin air, seems odd to have a 2wd diesel trekking for nearly £14k sat next to a £14k 4x4 panda.

Once again I'm really grateful for your time and comments. It's frustrating there seems so little enthusiasm with most dealers and apart from the odd few people on here very little information.

:)

Thank you so much Palio. I wasn't building up much hope of you getting them so quickly so it was a nice surprise :)

The Orange looks about how I'd expect, I do agree about the silver trim on the 4x4 bumpers adding to the look. In addition I hope the slightly dark alloys on the 4x4 and the tinted rear windows (I added as an option) will make it look that bit smarter too.

I know my head keeps telling me to change it to White or Silver but I've had two white 500s and Silver although smart is nearly £500 and also soooooo boring.

Like you said, the orange interior isn't too bright and I think I'll be able to live with it.

It's great to see a dealer actually getting one in stock do you know if this was one they ordered or is it going to be the car all the dealers will eventually get. Interesting it's the 1.3 diesel looking at the windscreen, I'd have though Fiat would have supplied the cheaper twin air, seems odd to have a 2wd diesel trekking for nearly £14k sat next to a £14k 4x4 panda.

Once again I'm really grateful for your time and comments. It's frustrating there seems so little enthusiasm with most dealers and apart from the odd few people on here very little information.

:)

No problem Phil. Yes the orange interior is definitely fine - any brighter it would have gone ott, this one is just the right shade imo.

Personally I'd be happy with the choice & wouldn't want a swap for white/silver. The orange really suits it, and I think it will be popular once people actually see it - it's a bit of a brave choice off the colour charts until you see the shade in the metal! The dealer obviously thinks the colour is good, as that's the one put into their showroom - they have already sold at least one orange one btw.

Yes I do know - Thames ordered a shed load of 4x4 and Trekking Panda's - they were checking the colours due in for me back in December. I think every colour was on the order, and several of most colours! They are very close to Fiat HQ in Slough so I think tend to get stock quicker, but these are an order not something sent out to all the dealers.

Cheers, Gavin. (y)

Hi all, I have got a 4x4 on test at the moment and have had it quite a few days now. Although its looks bigger than my Cross inside I don't think it's that noticeable as the front seats seem more chunky, and also the driver's seat is not as comfortable as the Cross and has no height adjustment.
Apart from that it's an excellent little car with a 4x4 performance hard to match. As far space these cars are limited, but I will not be buying it for it's space as I will be trading a new Doblo in for it.I think you either like them or you don't and I do. Not sure what colour to get though I am torn between the orange or white?:confused:

Hi all, I have got a 4x4 on test at the moment and have had it quite a few days now. Although its looks bigger than my Cross inside I don't think it's that noticeable as the front seats seem more chunky, and also the driver's seat is not as comfortable as the Cross and has no height adjustment.
Apart from that it's an excellent little car with a 4x4 performance hard to match. As far space these cars are limited, but I will not be buying it for it's space as I will be trading a new Doblo in for it.I think you either like them or you don't and I do. Not sure what colour to get though I am torn between the orange or white?:confused:

As I remarked to Maxi in an earlier discussion, if you got stuck in the snow the white would be very hard to find while the orange would stand out - but then you couldn't possibly get stuck in the snow ...

As I remarked to Maxi in an earlier discussion, if you got stuck in the snow the white would be very hard to find while the orange would stand out - but then you couldn't possibly get stuck in the snow ...
Definitely. Having run out of fuel in the snow in my 500 it certainly would be a consideration for me.

while there are obviously circumstances that make shedding and putting on bulky clothes too much of a fag, I hate driving in even a jacket and wouldn't drive in a bulky coat if at all avoidable, so I don't see why the weather makes much difference to internal space requirements in an air-conditioned car.

My circumstances are getting in and out all night in atrocious weather. I too prefer to drive unemcumbered - except for a coat in winter of course when popping into town - but the Panda, although a delight, is just a little squashy sometimes for big men (my friend rubs his shoulder against the B pillar) and certainly two men properly dressed for winter. Not an absolute deal breaker of course, but this has to be considered.

In order to get the essential - for me - adjustable driving seat in the Panda you have to pay more. Now, if all these dealer pre-buys fail to find buyers does it mean we will be seeing cheaper 4x4s etc. in six months? Just wondering. My gut feeling is that they will find a 'desirable' niche in the market and hold their value.

There is the normal car market, and there is Fiat, with slightly out of court cars that are in fact rather fantastic and totally misunderstood by the automotive media.

VW of Ford anyone? :devil:

Last edited:
Snow? Someone say snow?

http://www.youtube.com/embed/zE6KdnFXMrA

I know it's only on the flat, but that was being driven in a very 'wang the steering wheel about a lot quickly' style, and it was very very surefooted.
I was a bit naughty yesterday and drove up a closed road which has a few hairpin corners and a 1 in 3 gradient. my 56 plate 4x4 Panda coped well on its winter tyres, it kicked the back end out around a few corners, but nothing more than that and never felt like it was going to get stuck :) I can only imagine that a newer 4x4 with the ELD system would be even better given the right tyres.

I find it is much more predictable if I tell it its a 4x4, and not let it decide, have had a few moments where the fronts spin, the back then starts to slide as the power is switched to 50/50 - prefer to know whats going on though!

It's brilliant, been really faultless over the past few days.

Conti cross contacts on it too, so ideal for most conditions, it loves the snow. Hill starts in thick fresh snow? No problems.

Last edited:
not to sure about the orange now I've seen it......has anyone get any pics of the "sunset red?"

Belt

Hi

I see Motorparks have got the new 4X4 with £800 off the list price. Is this the best deal yet I wonder?

Derek

Hi

Yes the advert states various colours and 10 miles so I guess pre reg but new.

I am not sure the Company is that good having read some complaints posted on the internet about them.

Has anyone actual bought from them and if so was the deal OK?

Derek

twin air
Hi

I see Motorparks have got the new 4X4 with £800 off the list price. Is this the best deal yet I wonder?

Derek

I can only find them with a £500 saving off list, but who knows if they have any options?
You may as well buy new at that price though I'd say.

Edit:

Just seen that Perrys are advertising new ones at £500 off on ebay at the moment.
twin air
Multijet

Last edited:
This post contains affiliate links which may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
not sure, that red looks very different form the picks on the car configuration and doesn't look like a £450 paint job?

Belt

not sure, that red looks very different form the picks on the car configuration and doesn't look like a £450 paint job?

Belt

The Fiat configurator's rendering of colours is to be trusted only slightly more than you'd trust Jimmy Saville with your kids :)

Back