Technical Panda 4x4 diy gearbox rebuild

Currently reading:
Technical Panda 4x4 diy gearbox rebuild

My panda is of the road my inner cv joint (tripod) failed and has deposited lots of metal shrapnel in to my diff and gearbox. The gear box was a bit clunky before this happened. I might drive the car and see what happens. Or try to Flush the gear box out with kerosene. I suspect that there is a magnet in there to collect metallic debris. If i were to take the gear box apart to clean it out i may as well replace any worn parts, dose any one have any experience of this? Where would i look for replacement parts? I have a 2wd box some parts might be interchangeable but not sure which. I think the ratios are different but maybe thats just in the diff. I know profesional gearbox rebuilds are discussed in another thread. but i am thinking of doing this myself.

no progress on this one yet. i have been under the bonnet of a dispatch van failing to fit a bosch injector pump for the last few days. i have found that there is a magnet on the drain plug of my spare 2wd gear box. some good instructions in the haynes alright but there are for a 2wd box. iam still not sure how similar they are. the car is 60 mile away in a friends yard i am not planing to drive it home but i might run a few gallon of kero through it and see what comes out.

Open it up, as otherwise is hard to tell and you can never be sure what's inside. If you never done that before, it's not that complicated, go for it. We are waiting to see.

So i have flushed the gearbox out with kero and refilled with oil. I have now driven about 4 miles and the gear box seams no worse than before the incident. Iam gona drive it a bit more as is. Rebuilding the gearbox sounds like fun but iam not sure if i can be arsed removing the gearbox and refiting it. Unless it gets worse or i get bored or my engine goes bang.

5 years later and i have taken the gear box apart cant find any obvious causes for the clunkyness. The reverse gear is a bit beat up. Some wear on the selector rod indents. Bearings all feel a bit lose in there mounts maybe they are ment to be like that.
Everything seams in decent condition. i had the box out any way to change the clutch

20231228_193249.jpg

Last edited:
so i had a fwd 4speed box with low miles on hand. i striped it down today to se how the internals compared to the 4x4 5 speed box.
all the bearings are the same, 2 otof 3 selector shafts are the same, gears and syncro for 1,2,3,4, and reverse are all interchangeable, the gear casing and gaskets are the same.
bell housing, input shaft, main shaft, differential and 5th gear parts are different.

the Haynes manual instructions for the fwd are are good enough to work on the 4wd box.
when i had the the parts of both boxes in front of me i could see that the points of the 3rd /4th syncro mesh were worn so i have swapped them out.
i dont think iam going to buy any new parts for the gear box as i am to much of a skinflint and i cant find cheap parts on ebay , maybe in input shaft seal and some oil

Back