Technical Panda 4x4 climbing

Currently reading:
Technical Panda 4x4 climbing

So how is it? What sort of MPG are you getting, and are they really powerful enough?

I have always fancied a 4x4, but been put off by reports of not riding or handling that well, and not having the power to pull the skin off a rice pudding.

That coupled with poor mpg for a 1.2 a well. Or is that all wrong?

The car really does need more power. Handling wise I like it smooths out the bumps. When pushing on a bit yeah it starts to lose it, thats when you start to feel the lean. They way I counter act this effect is not to drive like a boy racer.

I am too old to be a boy racer any more I am afraid.

But what about fuel consumption? Is it poor, as I have been told by The Fat Bloke Down The Pub?

Mine averaged about 38 mpg if I simply drove it; if I was 'careful' and kept below 60mh then 42ish mpg - gearing is a bit low so higher speeds rev higher....

Mine is now lpg and does about 30ish mpg but lpg is just over half the price of petrol, so more cost effective in the long run once you taken into account the cost of conversion, if you see what I mean...?!

Mine averaged about 38 mpg if I simply drove it; if I was 'careful' and kept below 60mh then 42ish mpg - gearing is a bit low so higher speeds rev higher....

Mine is now lpg and does about 30ish mpg but lpg is just over half the price of petrol, so more cost effective in the long run once you taken into account the cost of conversion, if you see what I mean...?!

Coor so 4x4 really is a lot worse on the fuel. My heavier 1.4 16v is returning 31 mpg average on gas.

I assume your conversion has been changed on your V5C by the DVLA? Your insurance load you much?

Last edited:

How much was the conversion cost and what size of tank do you use ?

Although LPG is cheaper, there is a small downside in that the engine delivers slightly less power running on it compared to petrol. Given the already low power of the 4x4, that might become 'an issue'?

My 4x4 (now well run in at 90,000 miles) averages 38mpg driven hard... but on more leisurely journeys can make it to 44mpg.

Last edited:
Although LPG is cheaper, there is a small downside in that the engine delivers slightly less power running on it compared to petrol. Given the already low power of the 4x4, that might become 'an issue'?

Ah the common myth re-appears.

Only applys to badly installed systems on carbs with mixers, modern sequential systems will not loose any power / performance. (y)

I can see no difference in performance between running my 4x4 on petrol or diesel....

Cost was around £1300+vat; registered with DVLA as duel fuel and it slightly reduced my road tax too! No loading by insurance company as long as it was fitted by a professional lpg fitter. No loading on my wife's Rav4 with lpg either.

Back