General Panda 100hp or Punto T-Jet

Currently reading:
General Panda 100hp or Punto T-Jet

I spose it really depends on what you want from a car.

I have a 1.2 GP active, which is great in town and not so great on the motorway in terms of acceleration. But even at 80mph+ it's still pretty quiet and as its in the powerband at that speed, high MPG is easily given.

I actually find that driving at 60-70mph in 5th in my 1.2 shows less mpg on the readout due to having to press that little bit harder on the pedal (thus injecting more fuel?)

To go in contrast, I had a suzui swift 1.5 as a courtesty car. Was much much faster than the GP (0-60 9.2 vs 0-60 14.0) but the grande punto felt more refined and was quieter on the motorway. Despite the fact that the suzuki is better built and much more fun to drive. Which I imagine is a similar comparison with the 100hp and the GP.

Clarkson says the 100hp Panda gave him a headache on the motorway due to it having 'no refinement whatsoever' Which to an extent I'd agree as the Panda is a very cheap car.

Clarkson just being a t1t 'cos James May bought one....I've had mine over a 100mph a few times (on the track of course) and I don't think it's noisy!

I'd have to argue about it being a 'very cheap car'....The build quality is on a par with a fair few pricier cars....

I haven't driven a GP, but I can say that the 100HP is the most fun ever. But I'm biased.

And let's face it, Clarkson is used to driving cars with an overload of refinement, the sorts of cars where you feel like you could be floating along, just above the road surface. Absolutely no engagement with the road whatsoever. The 100HP loves the road. Me too!

can't comment on the panda, but it seems that like me, there seems to be the opinion that the grande punto is a little boring.

Had a 1.4 8v GP as a courtesy car yesterday. Once I got my head around it not being a Panda HP it was a fine, capable, spacious, stylish and well equipped car. Handled nicely too.

It was a world apart from the 100hp though, did feel slightly numb and vague in comparison - but they're very different cars to do different jobs.

Had a 1.4 8v GP as a courtesy car yesterday. Once I got my head around it not being a Panda HP it was a fine, capable, spacious, stylish and well equipped car. Handled nicely too.

It was a world apart from the 100hp though, did feel slightly numb and vague in comparison - but they're very different cars to do different jobs.

I've test driven a 100hp and had a GP as a courtesy car. 100hp was far to hard to use everyday where I live i'd have been beaten down the back roads by cyclists as the compressions and undulations and mid corner bumps round here would have made a mockery of what passes for suspension in it. The GP was a solid if a little dull car but it wasn't a T-jet and my main gripe with it was it was to damn slow that and the steering was a bit light and without feel.

100hp was far to hard to use everyday where I live i'd have been beaten down the back roads by cyclists as the compressions and undulations and mid corner bumps round here would have made a mockery of what passes for suspension in it.

Can't say I've been beaten down back roads by many cyclists....Can't say I've been beaten down back roads by much at all....:slayer:

Apologies to the guy in the Passat Estate who almost went in the hedge trying to stay with me round that S bend last week....I never realised they understeered that much either! :p

I've test driven a 100hp and had a GP as a courtesy car. 100hp was far to hard to use everyday where I live i'd have been beaten down the back roads by cyclists as the compressions and undulations and mid corner bumps round here would have made a mockery of what passes for suspension in it. The GP was a solid if a little dull car but it wasn't a T-jet and my main gripe with it was it was to damn slow that and the steering was a bit light and without feel.
i do agree that it would prob be bit to, bouncy every day use, but cant really comment as dont use mine for work just for fun, and is such good fun :) test drove t-jet but got the panda over that :) t-jet is fast but to big and cumpersum compared to 100hp, and fuel econ in gp was really bad.

lol changing springs aint messing about its **** easy. My car does what i want it to do out the box just putting springs on it has made it even better.

Again no offence intended (i'm not here to wind you up), but if your car did exactly what you wanted it to do then you wouldn't have changed the springs would you?

LOL indeed! :p

Yeah as stuff can always be improved. It does what i want now but that isnt going to stop me buying coilovers for it next year to make it even better round bends/

Yeah as stuff can always be improved. It does what i want now but that isnt going to stop me buying coilovers for it next year to make it even better round bends/

Actually i'm not sure that it is necessary to 'improve' things. I have an Integra Type-R standard even down to the OEM tyres. Would I change anything on it? Not a chance it is perfect as it is.

Quite happy with my 100hp too... don't want to be modding that really. Modding is a bit of a mug's game so i've learnt over the years, all good fun though.

Back