General Panda 1.2 4x4 : Dune Riding

Currently reading:
General Panda 1.2 4x4 : Dune Riding

zollie

So I recently sold my Mitsubishi 3L V6 4x4 Colt/L200 as the Fuel payments broke the bank; I replaced it with a 2006 Panda Climbing 4x4 and took her to the beach to see what she can do..

Does anyone know if if 185/80 14" will fit on the stock rims and clear everything, e.g. filler "cap" etc?

Either way some pics taken Sunday:

upload1.jpg

upload2.jpg

upload3.jpg

upload4.jpg

upload5.jpg

upload6.jpg

upload7.jpg

upload8.jpg

upload9.jpg

upload10.jpg

No idea about the tyres, but I reckognise the unmistakable white empty sands of Cleethorpes - and a typically gorgeous blue sky.

Who needs the Med eh?

No idea about the tyres, but I reckognise the unmistakable white empty sands of Cleethorpes - and a typically gorgeous blue sky.

Who needs the Med eh?

Well its actually in South Africa (not UK).

Just outside Cape Town (bottom of Africa) towards Atlantis you get this approx 50km by 50km dunes - great fun!

But ja, SA and England share a lost, we even drive on the same side of the, ermm dunes..?.. :D

Nice pictures - particularly the KTM Adventure. Best bike I ever had and loved it right up to the point that I used it to write off a Mini Metro, as well as busting myself up at the same time (19 separate breaks - ouch).

Panda looked good too - did it work well in your sandy dunes then?

Well its actually in South Africa (not UK).

Just outside Cape Town (bottom of Africa) towards Atlantis you get this approx 50km by 50km dunes - great fun!

But ja, SA and England share a lost, we even drive on the same side of the, ermm dunes..?.. :D

Hi Jack!

Nice pictures - particularly the KTM Adventure. Best bike I ever had and loved it right up to the point that I used it to write off a Mini Metro, as well as busting myself up at the same time (19 separate breaks - ouch).

Panda looked good too - did it work well in your sandy dunes then?

Holy Moley! 19 Breaks?? Glad you are here to tell about it!

I ride myself, more road orientated lately, VFR800 (06) and Vmax 1200 (1998); although I'm sort-off eyeing an XTZ 1200 (Super Tenere).

The Panda held up his own - this is what I wrote on a Local "4x4" forum:

"Well ja more revs than I would've liked but overall I was quite surprised/impressed and happy. I recently sold my 3L V6 Colt (L200) 4x4, had Camils, Supersprings, Cooper STT 31's, etc etc, and thought that the Panda will CHOP off completely in comparison! - Sold the COLT due to fuel cost (5.5km/l with Dastek unichip) and not using it as often as I would like.. Now with the Panda I'm seeing myself going on a regular basis as its so light on fuel.. Claimed to give between 14-20km/l I think I got around 10km/l in the dunes (on board computer estimates), will have to add up the numbers as I'm still finishing the 37litre tank with my daily commute.

Except for one dune where I got stuck on my belly the little teddy just kept going. Even managed to do some of the dodgy "2spoor" roads behind the dunes, got a few new scratches on the paint though.. On the "LONG DUNE" I had to try several times, mostly due to other okes spore slowing me down before I got to the dune and lost most momentum, but after I got the trick (Pull away in 2nd en keep it planted..lol) I managed to get up there a few times.

Only big complaint is ground clearance, I would like to have it about 50mm higher as I felt bad scraping it on some wood and other debris on the "2 spoor" paadjie.

So Overall - great commuter; (especially compared to 3L V6), it can go "off road" but the lack of low range and diff lock will frustrate you from time to time, but it will get you there, perhaps with more revs and more speed than you are usually comfortable with, but you'll get there....eventually... hehe..."

Only big complaint is ground clearance, I would like to have it about 50mm higher as I felt bad scraping it on some wood and other debris on the "2 spoor" paadjie.

I had the same "problem". Having replaced the spare wheel with the LPG tank, I constantly thought that the rear is lower than without the tank.
So I put 2 spacers at the rear, between the springs and their chassis bases and the car lifted 30mm.
The mechanic's opinion was not to add more than 30mm, cause it changes a lot the angle between the axle and the wheel.
Didn't do the same in front wheels, but it's rather easy if you want to.

So I put 2 spacers at the rear, between the springs and their chassis bases and the car lifted 30mm.
The mechanic's opinion was not to add more than 30mm, cause it changes a lot the angle between the axle and the wheel.
Didn't do the same in front wheels, but it's rather easy if you want to.

Thanks Batfalcon, makes sense as I assume everything will ran at an angle (some with the front CV's I assume).

May I ask what you did in the front? I'm looking for a lift front and rear; and anything will help; also looking into 185/80 14" tires, but not sure if it will "clear' everything.

Last edited:
Also RE: the spacer - did you create this with an angle to prevent the wheels getting an uneven wear?

Also RE: the spacer - did you create this with an angle to prevent the wheels getting an uneven wear?

First of all, I didn't do anything with the front wheels. The speculations I had from several mechanics, (speculations, not certain possibilities), were that if I lift the front by 30 mm, then the wheels maybe will not have either the same camber, or the same toe in, and I MUST proceed with a new alignment. In fact there would be a positive camber instead of the existing negative.
Also the Center of Gravity of the car, would dramatically change, affecting the handling.
Besides, I only wanted to lift the rear as much as it was lowered due to the LPG tank weight.

Regarding the rear spacers, I must take a photo and upload it here. Until then, I can only describe the spacers, as a much thicker spacer than the originally placed.

Attachments

• images.jpg
    images.jpg
    10.5 KB · Views: 373
Last edited:
Hi thanks, yes I'm aware of the front camber that will be "out"; thus I want to create the spacer with a built in compensation for this (angle), so the camber should be back, will have to work this out; also yes thank I'm aware of the center of gravity, but I'll rather drive slower around corners than hit every bump / rock on the undercarriage.

The idea is also to put wheel spacers on and get bigger wheels as the the clearence by the filler cap doesn't allow for larger wheels it seems, currently have 185/70 14" on.

I need to get her higher as I'm going to rip something open on the bottom, or might get water in the cab during crossings.

After this the fun things can start, built in 29mhz radio (not the hand held I used in pics above) and roof top tent.

I hope these photos will clear things out.
You can view the plastic spacer over the top of the right rear spring and the final result on the car.
The spacer is not rubber as the original, but hard black plastic.

IMG_0397.jpg

IMG_0398.jpg

IMG_0399.jpg

IMG_0400.jpg

IMG_0401.jpg

I had my Panda raised +- 45mm at a spring manufacturer. They supplied and fitted the new, slightly harder springs for front and back. He handles much better now offroad. Plus you can find 2500lb winches for reasonable prices too these days..

I had my Panda raised +- 45mm at a spring manufacturer. They supplied and fitted the new, slightly harder springs for front and back. He handles much better now offroad. Plus you can find 2500lb winches for reasonable prices too these days..

Thanks man! Do you know from which vehicle the spring came off? Or did they just measure and took what they had? Is it perhaps possible you can find out which spring was used? (if not too much trouble :worship: )

Struggling to find any info online - seems spacers is the first option most people go for, then some fit the longer UNO control arms to rectify the camber .. :| ? ..

What he winches have to do with the car's ride height? :confused:

Rutherford, the spacers I posted on previous page are at 40 and 50 mm too, but maybe if you replace the coil springs with a little harder ones, you get a better result.
Nevertheless, harder springs need stiffer shocks to be controlled. And stiffer shocks equals bumpier ride and so on....

I don't think that there is anyone who made both modifications and knows the results.

Last edited:
Back