Technical Panda 0.9 Start Stop niggles

Currently reading:
Technical Panda 0.9 Start Stop niggles

Well I'm just back from the dealer and the start stop is now working perfectly. New battery and IBS, plus they've fitted a new air con pipe and that now works better too!

I guess they must have reset the trip computer aswell because the best av mpg I was getting before today was 37.5 and its already shot up to 43.8 and is still going up!

RESULT

Thanks for all the tips!

MY TA punto is in need of similar I presume,
I've done terminal cleans while the battery is being charged--still no better,:(

Charlie - Didcot

MY TA punto is in need of similar I presume,
I've done terminal cleans while the battery is being charged--still no better,:(

Charlie - Didcot

I'd say so. I'd ask them to replace the battery under warranty!

Just bought a twinair Panda ex-demo and the Start-stop doesn't work. Dealer says they've never had a problem with it before. Gave me all the list of reasons it should not work but none of them apply. Button lights up for 'disengaged', as it should, but s-s doesn't function for 'engaged'.
I'm taking it in to Stoneacre next week under warranty, I'll report on findings.

Just bought a twinair Panda ex-demo and the Start-stop doesn't work. Dealer says they've never had a problem with it before. Gave me all the list of reasons it should not work but none of them apply. Button lights up for 'disengaged', as it should, but s-s doesn't function for 'engaged'.
I'm taking it in to Stoneacre next week under warranty, I'll report on findings.

Probably find the battery need placing on a pulse charger to top it up.

My engine cut out when I stopped at lights recently and I swiftly sussed that my wife or I had somehow inadvertently pressed the button and activated the stop/start - well, that isn't going to happen again - stupid unnecessary gadget. It's a bit like the "eco" button as far as I'm concerned, but less annoying, as THAT button just destroys the performance of the mental wee engine, making it no fun to drive. It seems to me that the whole point of that titchy turbo is a whole lot of fun. You can hit a rise on the motorway at 80 and still accelerate up to 90 to overtake which the 1.2 "My Life" would never handle. I don't have to plan several corners ahead for overtakes on the twisties either, just slip down a gear (or two), hit the turbo's sweet spot and go. It's a gem, but sucks up the fuel when you play. I'm a long time motorcyclist and this TA resonates with my sense of fun. It's actually got a smaller engine than my current bike, but I'm using more fuel, ha ha! I'm sure I'll get over it.

Last edited:
Thanks very much for tip, but I think I need a new battery (under warranty) as it won't charge the system enough after a 100 mile run in daylight with no appliances on!!!!!

My engine cut out when I stopped at lights recently and I swiftly sussed that my wife or I had somehow inadvertently pressed the button and activated the stop/start - well, that isn't going to happen again - stupid unnecessary gadget. It's a bit like the "eco" button as far as I'm concerned, but less annoying, as THAT button just destroys the performance of the mental wee engine, making it no fun to drive. It seems to me that the whole point of that titchy turbo is a whole lot of fun. You can hit a rise on the motorway at 80 and still accelerate up to 90 to overtake which the 1.2 "My Life" would never handle. I don't have to plan several corners ahead for overtakes on the twisties either, just slip down a gear (or two), hit the turbo's sweet spot and go. It's a gem, but sucks up the fuel when you play. I'm a long time motorcyclist and this TA resonates with my sense of fun. It's actually got a smaller engine than my current bike, but I'm using more fuel, ha ha! I'm sure I'll get over it.
I agree fully. As soon as my s&s problem is sorted it will stay OFF. I've had a motorbike for over 50 years, partly reason for buying a Twinair was my current Moto Guzzi Nevada which is an air cooled v-twin. I thought the twin air was the same but although a twin, it seems to be water cooled. Any idea why it is called Twinair??

In general I'm quite happy with S S on my 4x4 TA. I leave it on virtually all the time but occasionally disable it when there are traffic hold-ups that result in moving a few feet every few seconds, when it can be a bit of a bore.

I agree fully. As soon as my s&s problem is sorted it will stay OFF. I've had a motorbike for over 50 years, partly reason for buying a Twinair was my current Moto Guzzi Nevada which is an air cooled v-twin. I thought the twin air was the same but although a twin, it seems to be water cooled. Any idea why it is called Twinair??

Why bother getting it looked at if you're going to switch it off?
Personally , I love stop/start

Why bother getting it looked at if you're going to switch it off?
Personally , I love stop/start

Wouldn't say I loved it, but mine's still working fine, despite only using
the car about once a week (but the journeys are long: I've done over
5000 miles in 5 months...)

It's a bit disconcerting to have the engine restart automatically, it does
this if stopped for about 3 minutes without the door being opened!

Chris

My Panda's Stop/Start never worked quite correctly. In the summer it'd last about 10 seconds before starting up again - even if you turned off all the ancillary items like the fan, radio etc. In these colder times, it was even worse as it would restart immediately after shutting itself off.

However, last week I had a first service and the ignition coils were replaced under warranty. Since then, the Stop/Start has worked perfectly!! You can stop at lights with the lights, fan and radio on and it won't restart itself - it'll hold for about two minutes before starting itself up again.

So for all of you who still have these stop/start issues - might be worth getting the dealer to replace the ignition coils under warranty.

My Panda's Stop/Start never worked quite correctly. In the summer it'd last about 10 seconds before starting up again - even if you turned off all the ancillary items like the fan, radio etc. In these colder times, it was even worse as it would restart immediately after shutting itself off.

However, last week I had a first service and the ignition coils were replaced under warranty. Since then, the Stop/Start has worked perfectly!! You can stop at lights with the lights, fan and radio on and it won't restart itself - it'll hold for about two minutes before starting itself up again.

So for all of you who still have these stop/start issues - might be worth getting the dealer to replace the ignition coils under warranty.

Was you battery disconnected for the work to be done (trip mileage / mpg reset on collection)?

Alternatively you might have had a software update during the service which has changed the tolerances on the SS system.

The trip hadn't been reset so I'm taking the educated guess that it didn't have the battery disconnected.

I don't think it had a software update as it wasn't mentioned when they explained what they did to the car, and it hasn't come up on the invoice with all the other work they carried out (service and warranty).

Looking for a few pointers on stop start on my TA4x4. Currently headed to dealer next week as cuts in after max 20s even if all usual suspect power drain shut off. Battery , software or ignition coils a problem?

Cheers

I seem to have the opposite problem to everybody. The stop bit works fine it's just the start bit that's the problem! It's left me stuck at the lights a few times now. The only way to restart it is to turn the ignition off and start it manually. Otherwise it just remains in "stop" mode no matter how frantically the clutch pedal is pressed

Looking for a few pointers on stop start on my TA4x4. Currently headed to dealer next week as cuts in after max 20s even if all usual suspect power drain shut off. Battery , software or ignition coils a problem?

Cheers

Battery I'd have said. Needs a pulse charge probably. :)

I seem to have the opposite problem to everybody. The stop bit works fine it's just the start bit that's the problem! It's left me stuck at the lights a few times now. The only way to restart it is to turn the ignition off and start it manually. Otherwise it just remains in "stop" mode no matter how frantically the clutch pedal is pressed

Fault with clutch pedal switch, should be covered under warranty.

Battery I'd have said. Needs a pulse charge probably. :)

Fault with clutch pedal switch, should be covered under warranty.

That, or you're not pressing the clutch pedal all the way to the floor.

I remember one amusing incident when someone brought in a car complaining the clutch wouldn't disengage properly and was making a crunching noise every time they changed gear. Initially concerned they might be facing a large bill, their focus quickly shifted to an object I retrieved from the depths of the footwell. It was the remains of what was once a very expensive ladies shoe.

They seemed more angry at the loss of the shoe than pleased about the repair bill they didn't get:bang:.

Back