Pale_green_4x4_Panda.jpg

Panda (Classic) Pale green Classic Panda 4x4 (1986).

Introduction

Just acquired this lovely 4x4. :)

Traded in by Gavin (Palio) against the project Panda I'm currently building for him. Gavin bought it back in February from Dave (Aquamarine) but has not used it since. Fortunately for me Gavin stored it at a friends house many miles from his own so didn't form an attachment to it.

Dave had done quite a bit of work to it before selling it on to Gavin, and as a result it's in lovely condition ( ignoring paintwork issues here :p ), even has new doors. Dave, perhaps you could fill in more details for us?

This is my only pic so far but will add more asap........

I really like the pale green colour so will be keeping this original but improve the finish in places. This will be an easy task as Dave has done a great job removing what little rust was there. As far as I can tell the doors and back of the inner sills were the only rusty areas on an otherwise solid and straight Panda. This is impressive given it's an early Mk2 (1986).

Mileage is a very low 58,000, this is reflected in the condition of the interior and mechanics. I haven't driven it yet but Gavin and Barbara have and they assure me it is a real pleasure, with a strong engine and a tight and quiet gearbox. :)

With the plans for Barbara's own Panda recently changing I find myself with some nice upgrades looking for a home. The beige Alfa interior would look stunning with the green paintwork so I'm very tempted to fit it. Then there's wheels. I have half a dozen options here, including leaving the current ones on, so think I will just have to try them all and see what looks best. Other than that the rest will stay as it is.

It looks like we'll be bringing it to the Thoresby meet rather than put Barbara's 4x4 back together with it's original parts only to take it all apart again when we get back.
Reactions: Vaam
Q: How many management consultants does it take to change a lightbulb?
A: First of all, we have to examine why the light bulb is being changed.

PS: I used to be a management consultant. :bang:

Surely the question is how many of the lightbulbs the management consultants changed actually needed changing, and how many will the next lot change again before you've got the hang of the last one!!!:bang:
...erm, sorry, carry on talking about driving in the mud there, don't mind me (bitter manager)

Quick update while I have time.

Oslo's needed a little maintenance recently as the alternator packed up. I did have a spare so that was easily sorted, but not before my battery died in the middle of Shepherds Bush :rolleyes:

While I was at it I thought it would be a good time to sort the gearchange out as it was becoming more vague by the minute. I knew the problem as it's fairly common, worn bushes and a loose nut on this component.......

Once the mud was cleaned off it looked more like this......

And then this once stripped down......

The main shaft was pretty rusty which didn't help the life of the bushes I'm sure, but fortunately I had a plan. :devil:
I saw this on eBay a few months back and, although not the same unit, I thought it was worth taking the chance that I could do something with it.....

As it turned out I could. The shaft, bushes, and top link were all the same as the 4x4 Panda's despite being listed for an Uno/127 or something so all I had to do was change the mounting bracket.........

Et voila!

This has taken all the play out of the gear lever now, pretty important when you have Alfa 147 seats to avoid.

Just for the record, Oslo's needed some attention recently.

Inner L/H drive shaft boot needed replacing, exhaust back box too.

Then as a treat I gave him some new mudflaps. They do benefit other Pandas too, when he's towing them I'm hoping they won't get quite so plastered in muck!

Finally a chance to bring this thread up to date....

Oslo's mot was due back in January and I knew there was a little rust showing at the rear of the n/s sill (usual place). On further investigation I was proved wrong, there was alot of rust, just not showing :eek: .......

We just had to keep cutting, further and further back! Even the chassis rail was rusting next to an old repair......

And once this was also cut away we were left with this.......

The outer panels weren't too bad and really disguised the true picture.....

In fact with minimal repair the outer panel was re-used. We were able to make all the other repair sections from sheet steel so parts cost was minimal, labour however was a very different story :rolleyes:.

Here are some of the panels made, the surface rust on one was easily removed in the rust bath.......

This is where my pics. stop as I then got married and went on holiday leaving Stuart to finish off.

Basically the made up panels were etch primed, welded in place, primed and painted, then cavity waxed. The body outer panel was also painted body colour, very easy as the repair did not go above the plastic side trims or beyond the door aperture.

Since passing the mot he has continued to do everything asked of him, A framing cars around the countryside, general runaround, and loan car to family members while their cars are being repaired.

Nearly forgot. I had to fit a new distributor too as the old one was leaking oil. It was coming up the shaft and exiting between the body of the distributor and the cap. I'll have a look at some point to see if it can be repaired as apart from this it was a good un.

Finally a chance to bring this thread up to date....

Oslo's mot was due back in January and I knew there was a little rust showing at the rear of the n/s sill (usual place). On further investigation I was proved wrong, there was alot of rust, just not showing :eek: .......

We just had to keep cutting, further and further back! Even the chassis rail was rusting next to an old repair......

And once this was also cut away we were left with this.......

The outer panels weren't too bad and really disguised the true picture.....

In fact with minimal repair the outer panel was re-used. We were able to make all the other repair sections from sheet steel so parts cost was minimal, labour however was a very different story :rolleyes:.

Here are some of the panels made, the surface rust on one was easily removed in the rust bath.......

This is where my pics. stop as I then got married and went on holiday leaving Stuart to finish off.

Basically the made up panels were etch primed, welded in place, primed and painted, then cavity waxed. The body outer panel was also painted body colour, very easy as the repair did not go above the plastic side trims or beyond the door aperture.

Since passing the mot he has continued to do everything asked of him, A framing cars around the countryside, general runaround, and loan car to family members while their cars are being repaired.

Nearly forgot. I had to fit a new distributor too as the old one was leaking oil. It was coming up the shaft and exiting between the body of the distributor and the cap. I'll have a look at some point to see if it can be repaired as apart from this it was a good un.

Congratulations on the wedding!

Back