Technical P0089 Error 2018 X290 2.3 Multijet

Currently reading:
Technical P0089 Error 2018 X290 2.3 Multijet

BoultsG

I went to start our motorhome this morning and there was a whining noise coming from the fuel pump. I plugged in MultiECUscan to see if any errors had been logged. There weren't any so we decided to continue with our journey. Anyway, after 20 minutes or so we received a P0089-78 error and the vehicle went into limp mode. We managed to get ourselves to a garage that thought the issue was a blocked fuel filter so they changed the fuel filter. We continued on and within 5 minutes the same P0089 error occurred. When we clear the error and try to limp on we get a few 100 meters down the road before the error re-occurs.

Does anyone have any ideas as to what could be the cause?

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    112.7 KB · Views: 22
The fault appears to be the actual rail pressure is well below the desired pressure.

If the whining noise was from an in tank pump that could be the problem or a blocked in tank strainer.

Other wise leaking injector- any tail pipe smoke?

Or rail pressure regulator problem

Or hp pump or it's regulator

Or rail pressure sensor reporting pressure incorrectly(unlikely)

How many miles on van?

A really really long shot would be blocked fuel tank breather......loosen the fuel cap

The fault appears to be the actual rail pressure is well below the desired pressure.

If the whining noise was from an in tank pump that could be the problem or a blocked in tank strainer.

Other wise leaking injector- any tail pipe smoke?

Or rail pressure regulator problem

Or hp pump or it's regulator

Or rail pressure sensor reporting pressure incorrectly(unlikely)

How many miles on van?
Hi and thanks for your quick reply. To answer all questions including below.
Yes we have a Bluespark module however I disconnected it and it makes no difference.
We have no black smoke nor do we have any fuel leaks that I can see.
The whining noise is from an intank fuel pump though when put hand on the outbound pipe it feels more of a vibration.

Good thinking to remove tuning box to test/ until sorted.
I would be looking at in tank pump as first step.

Injectors can leak into cylinders - leak back / leak off test good next step if in tank pump not problem.

Back