General P0016 timing error but engine sounds fine?

Currently reading:
General P0016 timing error but engine sounds fine?

Hi all, quite a perplexing problem,

After changing my coolant hoses last night I ran the car for maybe 20 minutes to make sure everything was fine. No issues. Came to it this morning and the CEL comes on about 5 seconds after firing up the car. Error P0016 Crankshaft Position–Camshaft Position. The car idles and sounds fine but is restricted to 4500 RPM. It can be erased but comes back on after 5 seconds again.

I've pulled the left side of the car apart and can't find anything wrong, the timing belt markings from when I changed it a few months ago are still there and everything is timed up perfectly. There's a bit of a nick in the belt so I'm wondering if debris has gotten into there at some point.

Anyway - I'm really not sure what else to look for here - only thing I can think of is coolant having gotten into the sensor? Haven't got anything MES can connect to at the mo.

Cheers

Last edited:
If you have engine with variable valve timing clean the solenoid valve.

In that case id be re-checking the condition of the belt and the tensioner for sure something was slack enough for the belt to jump and you got away with it next time you might not be so lucky! If i was in ANY doubt I would change them AGAIN! extra expense for sure but better causing greater damage! also not mentioned in your original post did you change the water pump when you first did the belt!

In that case id be re-checking the condition of the belt and the tensioner for sure something was slack enough for the belt to jump and you got away with it next time you might not be so lucky! If i was in ANY doubt I would change them AGAIN! extra expense for sure but better causing greater damage! also not mentioned in your original post did you change the water pump when you first did the belt!

There's a mark on the outside the size and shape of an M6 nut - I'd been welding an M6 nut to a broken bolt head on the cam cover the night before - I think it's safe to say what happened 🥴 fortunately the teeth are all fine on the water pump (did change it a few months ago!) and everything else so looks like I've gotten away with it, but I'm going to change the belt again yeah to be safe!

There's a mark on the outside the size and shape of an M6 nut - I'd been welding an M6 nut to a broken bolt head on the cam cover the night before - I think it's safe to say what happened 🥴 fortunately the teeth are all fine on the water pump (did change it a few months ago!) and everything else so looks like I've gotten away with it, but I'm going to change the belt again yeah to be safe!
better safe and slightly out of pocket than sorry and need a new engine!
If anyone wonders the original Fiat water pump can still be good at 100k and 15 years old(don't ask),,
Ive no doubt they last well!- but whilst your in there surly you would replace it! you would not want the expense or trouble of having to strip it all out again at a later date! ( and ok i wont ask!)

Back