Technical Overheating Stilo 1.2 16v

Currently reading:
Technical Overheating Stilo 1.2 16v

MickDev

Hi,
I'm having serious problems with my Stilo. First of allit started missfiring like crazy which kept me off the road for a few daysthen when i thought i had solved my problems by replacing the pencil coils the water pump went and the engine either overheated or got very close to it. Long story short I'm off the road again and worried that a simple water pump change wont do it. Is it worth checking the head gasket or should i just chance it with a pump change? Any suggestions......................

mega misfire might not be helping.

fresh coils, fresh gasket, hard skim, fresh pump (excess heat could have goosed the bearing, or it could have just failed in the first place), good coolant, fresh thermostat, and then not much to go wrong after that.

quite odd for that engine to have problems, the 1.2 16v is usually sound as a pound.

More history please
Did the misfiring stop completely when you replaced the coils or did it start again sometime when the engine got warm?
Did the water pump leak all the water out or did the water "disappear" into the engine?
Did you run out of water completely?
Did the engine temp get really get into the red- engine overtemp warning?
Have you had lots of white smoke out the exhaust?
Does the car misfire badly when cold then struggle into life?
Have you noticed gurgling through the heater pipes in the past?
Is it losing water now on a run?
Have you stood next to an Arab at a football match?

Last edited:
also...
did you make sure the coolant was running though the system correctly before signing of on the job, ie run the engine with the water filler cap off until the level drops then topping it up (this is when the thermostat opens) thus removing all the air from the system. If you didnt do this it would eventually kick all the water out of the system and cause you to overheat..

Something ppl dont seem to understand is how important it is to have antifreeze in the system all year round, without antifreeze the waterpumps on most modern cars tend to corrode very quickly.
I fitted a new waterpump on my friends astra, a year later doing the job again as he never put antifreeze in, the fins on the pump were completly missing the water had eaten them alive.
roy

hi,
everything seems to be running fine now the problem was a seal on the pipe going into the back of the water pump housing had gone and this is where all the coolant kept disappearing to. So i changed the seal and the water pump problem solved................ for now!!!

Back