General overheating problem

Currently reading:
General overheating problem

adamward

Hi.

I have a 1994 Punto 55, it was seriously overheating (going to the top end of red on a gauge) so I had a new thermostat fitted and cleared all the blocked air out of the pipes.. Since then it appeared to run fine for a few days but then it started overheating again badly.. When it is in the red and I accelerate I can hear a loud rattling sound - sort of like something loose rattling about - it only tends to do this when hot and only when I am accelerating.. Today the needle went completely to the other end of red and the car cut out... It has started again since (I got it back home).. Could anyone give any advise on this?

Thanks

Adam

Do you get a bubbling/sloshing sound from inside the dash when it's up to temp and you rev it? If so it may be that there's air in the heater.

If that's the case, you need to bleed it via the valve on the heater piping, near the firewall.

No I do not get that.. Only sound I get when accelerating is the rattling sound very loud and it does it in all gears.. but only when in red

Thanks

adam

When a car overheats you should turn it off right away and wait for it to cool down! NEVER rev it and continue driving.
Chances are you've blown your headgasket, even if that wasnt the problem to start with

ratteling sound could possibly be the water pump's bearings failing (not on punto's though..yet). I've known of a few that have lost their impeller or have had the impeller blades slip on the shaft before, could be the reason for the high water temp esspecially if the water isn't being pumped around the engine properly. before you start spending out on headgaskets and head bolts try and get a garage to do a "sniff" test on your coolant, should only cost a few quid. If your motor passes that, then I'd be putting my cash on the water pump. if it is the pump then it's a good time to change your timing belt & tensioner at the same time..actually I'd probably do them even if I knew the belt was fairly new anyway, as you can never be to sure of any damage done by the pump, belt removal and refitting and such.

Back