overheating after 1 hour driving

Currently reading:
overheating after 1 hour driving

buune

I have a car Fiat stilo 1.8 2002.
Problem is in heating. car starts very good, after i have drived about 1 hour, and stop somwhere, engine is still working it starts heating over a normal temperature, like it will blow out a water, does anybody know why??

p.s sorry for bad english

Blockage or air-lock in the cooling system, water pump not working, head gasket failed or stuck thermostat maybe? Do you use just tap water for cooling?

I'd start by changing the thermostat as they are cheap. while the cooling system is open drain it and flush it through taking care to clear any air locks. If there is still a problem you will need to start checking more expensive options, but if all OK drain again, fill with a 50/50 mix of distilled water & recommended coolant.

Last edited:
What sort of driving to do you? If you do lots of 70 mph motorway driving then the fan isn't the issue, if you're doing a lot of city driving and the fan dosn't kick it will overheat after a while.

I would check the colour of the coolent as that can give clues, check exhaust for signs or smells of coolent and check the filler cap for signs of mayo.

When the head gasket went on my Corsa the car drove normally but lots of water would come out the exhaust and the oil looked like water.

Back