Technical Overheated now wont start. Head gasket changed

Currently reading:
Technical Overheated now wont start. Head gasket changed

OscarTT21

Well I'm back again. After changing the engine on our lass's 60 from the 1.2 to the 1.1 from a 55 i was pretty pleased with myself back in March havin managed to successfully transplant the lump and until last week all was well...

Only 5 mins into a journey it went up nearly onto the red so she stopped to let it cool and then limped back with two further cooling stops.

I bled the cooling system and ran it again and after a quick 5 mile round trip popped the hood and water was pi**ing out of the rad cap.
I thought... 'Head gasket'. So stripped her down and replaced the gasket but no improvement. I did have the rear bleed screw cross threaded on this test so i thought 'airlock' bled it again and off for another test.

Fooooolishly i went into to town and got caught in some traffic and she got really hot so stopped a bit, went a bit, stopped a bit, went a bit and so on but the last leg home i pushed it a bit too far and it got mega hot and the engine was struggling to stay running with a major rattle coming from under the hood.

Left it to cool but now it wont start at all. When turning over it sounds like the cam belt was off (but it wasn't) but it did look like it had jumped as it was slack when it was hot. So i took the cam belt off aligned TDC on both pulleys, replaced the timing sensor wheel with the pin correctly orientated and still nothing. I have checked for spark and its there.

It got that hot it melted what i think is the temp gauge sensor (a red plastic and brass 19mm bolt type thing behind the cam pulley on the backside of the head with a spade connector in it) so this is of course buggered.

In case this matters the heater in the car was working a treat on the first part of the last run out but once over heated it went cold. I suspect the over heating is due to water pump failure or thermostat but my main issue of course is it wont start.

Have i completely killed it. Any help greatly appreciated as i fear for my family jewels when the missus gets home.....

Many thanks in advance

I didnt. Are you thinking loss of compression due to warped head? Maybe worse...
Cheers

Id be checking the bore for deep scores myself.. might have nearly properly heat siezed it with it sounding rough.. but yeah, compression test first me thinks.

some guy is selling a car cheap and it states in description it doesnt start anymore cuz it overheated

now that made me wonder, cuz when my car overheated it seized solid and wouldnt even tick when i turned key

if this cars headgasket is gone when it overheated would it still start or not?

Back