Technical Outside Temperature Gauge

Currently reading:
Technical Outside Temperature Gauge

Hannahpanda

Hello! I'm hoping someone will be able to help me. I have recently had my passenger wing mirror replaced, after this the display stopped showing my outside air temperature and the climate control became very warm. I googled and saw that the temperature gauge on some models is located on the bottom of the wing mirror, would this have been the case for mine? It's a panda trekking 0.9 litre twinair 2013. I took it back to the mechanic who seems to disagree and said that they will take a look at it but if there are only four connections behind the mirror then the gauge could not have been there.

The mechanic is wrong! the temp sensor is there. There are two different mirrors, one for cars with the external temperature sensor and ones without.

The attached screenshot shows the two different types. It sounds like your mechanic has fitted your car with a mirror for a car without the temperature sensor.

My car has manual mirrors (not electrically adjusted) and the temperature gauge and climate control. It definitely has the wire going to the passenger side mirror for the temperature sensor.

Attachments

• Capture3.PNG
    Capture3.PNG
    196.9 KB · Views: 167
Last edited:
If the mechanic has replaced it with the wrong mirror with no temperature gauge will he be able to tell from looking behind the new mirror if there should be one? Because there wont be a temp gauge there anymore? It looks to me in the screenshot that the actual connections to the car look the same so surely the temp gauge will have been removed with the mirror.

As per Panda IIs the correct mirror will have the little protrusion hanging off of the bottom as shown by the arrow in the attached picture. If you provide your car's VIN someone here could pull it's exact specification showing it's meant to have an external temperature. I've included an example screenshot of the type of info you could expect.

Attachments

• temp.jpg
    temp.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 118
  • info.PNG
    info.PNG
    92.9 KB · Views: 110
Here's your Panda's report. The last line shows your car has the outside temperature sensor.

Attachments

• hannahpanda.PNG
    hannahpanda.PNG
    60.8 KB · Views: 79
Last edited:
I have Lancia Ypsilon 2012 1.2 8v which is very similar to Panda MK4, same platform. I don't have temperature sensor in my mirrors nor listed as extra in the VIN.
What I need to get in order to retrofit it?

I have Lancia Ypsilon 2012 1.2 8v which is very similar to Panda MK4, same platform. I don't have temperature sensor in my mirrors nor listed as extra in the VIN.
What I need to get in order to retrofit it?

You want a temp display.. in a car that never had one..??

Cheap probe and its own display..

Making the car recognise a new mirror and probe would be complicated :(

Can I revive this thread please?

The car displays 3 lines 'C, so no air temp display reading. However, whilst there's no little sensor bobble under the LH mirror, there is a little hole. Does this mean that it's simply been removed so I could refit. Any idea anyone? (2013 4x4 btw)

Can I revive this thread please?

The car displays 3 lines 'C, so no air temp display reading. However, whilst there's no little sensor bobble under the LH mirror, there is a little hole. Does this mean that it's simply been removed so I could refit. Any idea anyone? (2013 4x4 btw)
Seems a reasonable assumption. The 4x4 should have it fitted - maybe the mirror got broken at some point

Seems a reasonable assumption. The 4x4 should have it fitted - maybe the mirror got broken at some point
Any idea where it wires in? I'm pretty OK at disassembling* the mirror glass/cover and fitting the little bludger, but there's the matter of a couple of wires to attach to something n the Canbus-esque.

*Or breaking. Putting it back together, not so much.

Any idea where it wires in? I'm pretty OK at disassembling* the mirror glass/cover and fitting the little bludger, but there's the matter of a couple of wires to attach to something n the Canbus-esque.

*Or breaking. Putting it back together, not so much.
I think when I replaced my whole mirror (for the failed retraction spring which is a common, but repairable, issue if you catch with an "upper cut" like trying to manoeuvre the wheely bin under it on the drive...) the plug is inside the door but I maybe misremembering. I do have the mirror I removed (and rebuilt anyway). I think there's a "how to" or guide on here for the mirror repair which may give you an insight. If you are interested message me and we could probably come to an arrangement for the spare I have? We are talking nearside, yes?

Back